German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 556 Posts

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been trying to overcome a certain fear I have of walking my dog. I've been taking her for walks on the busy streets because I'm hoping that will cut down on possible encounters with loose dogs as she is dog aggressive.

This is about 75 feet from my house - on that street. This is the 3rd dog I've seen alone outside a business while the owner is inside shopping. Notice the secure tie..... There was a planter about 2 feet away that she could have looped the leash around the heavy wood leg.... but apparently she was in a hurry to shop..... Last week, someone tied their dog to a bicycle for sale outside a store....????

Just a rant.....no walk for Summer today:frown2:

·
Super Moderator
5,872 Posts
Well that picture is the most ridiculous thing I've seen today.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Have you talked to any of those owners? The dog looks extremely calm, but that isn't a secure fastener. What are they thinking? If not the danger, do they care that someone could steal their dog?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Wrong on so many levels. First of all, I'd never in a million years leave my dog outside a business, even for a few minutes. I may trust my dog, but I don't trust people not to bother or steal my dog. And to just casually throw the leash around something is pretty disrespectful to other people. They shouldn't expect others to trust their dog even if they do.

There's a certain path in our town that's full of unleashed dogs, some come from the nearby yards, and some are walking with their owners, who usually shout "he's friendly" from a distance. I used to not walk there because of this, because my dog doesn't like loose dogs when she's leashed, but I've started just shouting back "mine's not", and watch them scramble to get hold of their dog before it reaches mine. I usually also walk with a large umbrella that I can use as a weapon if we're accosted by stray dogs.

It really sucks that a lot of people don't want to walk their dogs because of this. I wish people would be more considerate of others :|

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I won't be talking to any of the owners. Their dogs are just fine and I should mind my own business. That's the classic answer.

This is just more banking on the odds, that the world is a perfect place and "it can't happen to me or my dog".... until it does.

This is 6 feet from rush hour cars doing 35mph up a one way street. No concern for the dog, others walking their dogs, kids that will spot the doggie and want to rush up and pet. That 6' Z dress rack - you can't see most of it but it was loaded with full length wedding dresses and bridesmaids gowns on the end closest to the shop door. Had I been walking Summer around the corner from my house - we would have been upon that dog with about 5 feet of warning- all heck would have broken loose.....

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
It is a shame that people can't walk their neighborhood because of ill contained dog fighting breeds. Rest assured if this Pit would grip somebody else's dog, the owner would be standing their flapping their wings not having a clue how to remove the Pit from the other dog. It happens all the time and usually good samaritans are forced to take up the task of Pit Bull removal while the owners stands by ineffective and useless.

·
Registered
142 Posts
This is scary. My parents have smaller dogs a papillon miniature poodle, and a working line springer spaniel. They have told me pit bulls have charged their ornery male min poodle, and they'll pick up all the dogs and honestly my stepdad will have to kick them to get them away. I'm afraid I'll have a situation like this but my dog will be too large to just pick up.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's my concern too. I saw this dog across the street when I was walking up to go to Safeway. 1/2 hour later, I'm walking home and there's this same dog on the other side of the street. Mine's 80lbs.. I gauged this one when I passed him walking on the other side with the owner at about 60lbs.

Put me there alone, coming around the corner with those 2 suddenly meeting - and just me there.......:crying:

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Can you ask your mayor to install hitching posts for dogs? Looks like you have a good case for it happening.
What good would it do? My dogs would buzzsaw through that leash in about two seconds.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you ask your mayor to install hitching posts for dogs? Looks like you have a good case for it happening.
It seems like these dog owners want to tie their dogs as near the front door of the business they're going into as they can get. I'm not sure how "centralized" tie stations would work. Do they work down under? Isn't theft a problem?

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
When I leave my dog outside a store, I don't tie her at all. I just put her on a down stay.

She watches through the window, while I go in, grab a donut or hot dog, pay, and then come out. Sometimes people come in while I am grabbing, and they marvel that she doesn't move. But I don't do it often.

Maybe these dogs are actually well-trained, and the hitching doesn't need to be gladiator-tough.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Well, its a shame that people do the things they do but you can't control every aspect of your environment outside your property. Maybe view this as an incentive to train your dog's reactivity to other dogs. That's something you can control. Its do-able.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My dog is DA. There are leash laws and I abide by them. If your dog is unattended and/or unleashed - and there is an altercation between my dog (leashed) and your dog - I will kill your dog with the weapon I carry. It's legal and approved by LE.

So - keep on with that attitude. One day, your dog will meet one like mine (and myself) and that will be the end of it.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
When I leave my dog outside a store, I don't tie her at all. I just put her on a down stay.

She watches through the window, while I go in, grab a donut or hot dog, pay, and then come out. Sometimes people come in while I am grabbing, and they marvel that she doesn't move. But I don't do it often.

Maybe these dogs are actually well-trained, and the hitching doesn't need to be gladiator-tough.
Reputable breeders, rescues and shelters advise to NEVER take your Pit Bull to dog parks or around unknown dogs. They advise to carry a breakstick when taking a Pit Bull out in public.

Pit Bulls and dog fighting breeds are zero mistake dogs. Do you want your dog to be the one involved when and if this "well trained" Pit Bull decides to break training? Your dog's life can depend on the answer.

This month, it has been one year since I have tried to walk a dog in my community. The last time I tried, I never got past the front of my house. A Pit Bull attacked. For God's sake, my dog was just a puppy. My pup never got her first walk in my neighborhood, and I will never allow her to walk try to walk it again because of situations just like in these pictures posted.

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
There are a lot of pits around. Plenty up at PetsMart today. I took my puppy out there, because, well she had class (not at PetsMart) but Moofy was getting groomed, and I didn't want to leave her in the car.

My dog did not get attacked even though there were pits everywhere. I took two dogs in, one dog out, then came back in with one dog and took two dogs out. No problems.

I know it is hard when you have had a dog attacked, but you are allowing it to change your life. At some point, you are doing just as much if not more damage, by not moving beyond this. If you must carry a break stick, and an extra leash, but don't let the fact that something bad might happen keep you from experiencing life with your dog.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have you talked to any of those owners? The dog looks extremely calm, but that isn't a secure fastener. What are they thinking? If not the danger, do they care that someone could steal their dog?
The dog and owner came around the corner on the shady side (West) of the main street. The dog was clearly pulling and the owner had poor control. She tried to stop to go into one store with the dog and he was pulling her past the door.

The photos I took were of the dog 1/2 hour later in the full afternoon sunlight (we were all blissed out by it- it's been a while!) and it was much mellower - but not earlier.....

That's why I went home, got my camera and went back and took pic's. I wish I would have had it on the way up when she had poor control.....

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
There are a lot of pits around. Plenty up at PetsMart today. I took my puppy out there, because, well she had class (not at PetsMart) but Moofy was getting groomed, and I didn't want to leave her in the car.

My dog did not get attacked even though there were pits everywhere. I took two dogs in, one dog out, then came back in with one dog and took two dogs out. No problems.

I know it is hard when you have had a dog attacked, but you are allowing it to change your life. At some point, you are doing just as much if not more damage, by not moving beyond this. If you must carry a break stick, and an extra leash, but don't let the fact that something bad might happen keep you from experiencing life with your dog.
I haven't had one dog attacked. This was only the first Pit Bull attack for this puppy. Incidentally, in the first attack, the Pit Bull redirected to me and injured myself, and all this with the police not far away. It doesn't take much. But in 2015 alone, that pup was attacked twice, me once, my other pup attacked once, and my cat attacked. That is five attacks in one year, all by Pit Bulls and that does not include the multitude of times Pit Bulls were outside my fence trying to get in to fight with my dogs and it certainly does not take into account all the Pit Bull attacks I saw just from my property on other people and their pets. Attacks by all other breeds combined, zero. And I obviously am a person that goes out of my way to avoid Pit Bulls but still chalked up five attacks. This is not okay. When you think about it, if I did not take the precautions that I do, just think how many attacks there would have been last year.

I find it most curious for somebody who believes in less government intervention, rules and regulations, would think it should be other people's burden to go to extremes to protect their themselves and their pets from the reckless and irresponsible. I think the ones responsible for the problem should carry burden, and failing so, then the government should step in.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I understand what you are saying. If I had not been attacked - it may be a different story, or my last GSD attacked, or my brother....No - that's not right - I owned one for 13 years prior to all that and she killed 3 dogs....but she was a sweetie and would never hurt anyone. We never had her on a leash in 13 years and she could go anywhere with us- except for those three times.

I know better. You are not likely to meet a bad dog in Petsmart...That does not mean they're not out there or this could just the wrong day like it was with mine 3 times in 13 years. Why do I have to structure my life around something as simple as a leash law?

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Leashed laws do not address the breed specific issues of Pit Bulls. Too many Pits have done serious damage, even killed dogs and cats, with an owner on the other end of a leash.

1 - 20 of 556 Posts