German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well dang... Pistol's sick. I'm pretty sure she ate something she shouldn't have while outside. I came home around 4:30 yesterday afternoon from a late lunch with a friend. Was gone for a little more than 2 hours. Came home to a kennel full of vomit. It looked pretty fresh though. She tried to vomit a few times after that but it was just clear nothing. She refused food and water, but was still running around playing with mom. We went on to the emergency vet (mine closes at 5). They agree with me that it's probably something she ate. Gave her some medicine to help with vomitting and upset stomach for the night. I already had an 0900 appointment with my regular vet this morning scheduled for her 3rd round of shots. We watched her over night and went to that this morning. Around 0300 she started drinking again (whew!). This morning I offered her a tsp of canned puppy food (Blue) just to see if there was any interest. There was some, but no gusto...she would have been just as happy to not eat it. We went to our appointment and the regular vet agreed that she probably ate something. She's a little more lethargic this morning, but it could be from not having much of anything in her belly anymore. Vet told me to put her on a bland diet and gave us some science diet (ugh) rx food for the week. We go back in a week for a check up and hopefully to get the 3rd vaccine which the vet wouldn't give her while she's sick.

My friends are all flipping out on facebook saying that it could be parvo and I should separate her from the adult dogs and to keep her hydrated. I've stopped posting updates (I'll just call the couple of people I'm really worried about keeping updated) because it's just getting annoying at how they all know more than the vet with a 420 character status when the vet is getting the full story. I AM keeping her hydrated. I'm not concerned about the adult dogs because I really do THINK she ate something. Yes...she does have some parvoish symptoms...but she just doesn't feel parvoy. I hope that makes sense. I've seen enough puppies with parvo. She's getting more alert by the hour. She's more interested in water and food by the hour. She's starting to watch me as I walk by the kennel. I wouldn't expect a parvo dog to do more than just lay and stare into space. Am I wrong in this? She really is just acting like a puppy who's got an upset stomach and feels sorry for herself about it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I do want to say that she was outside for about a half hour...only 5-10 minutes of it was unsupervised. I was home while she was outside...I didn't want you guys to think I left her out while I was gone for lunch.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
If she's seen two vets in less than 24 hrs that have ruled out parvo and agree that it's something she ingested, that must be the case. By the way, Stosh loves that gross canned prescription i/d and it worked as advertised. Hope Pistol's feeling better soon

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Stosh. My friends I think are flipping out because neither of the vets actually tested her for parvo...but like I said...she doesn't really LOOK parvoy. Those symptoms are symptoms of a bajillion different things...ya know? Thanks for settling my mind... I know I'm doing the best and doing right for her...it's just hard not to question myself when other people are questioning me.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Jamie Lee has a bad habit of picking up just various items(sticks,grass,leaves) and munching on them out in the yard. She has a sensitive stomach so we have learned through her multiple vomiting spells. I keep Pepto tablets on hand for her always. The Pepto settles her stomach quickly. I just give her a pepto tab and she is fine. She once got a hold of some hip/joint biscuits that were for my old senior dog and she got really sick. Pepto to the rescue! I hope your baby will be ok.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Leslie. We got the generic walgreens pepsid tablets. The vet said since she's still a pup to give her 1/4 of the tablet a day for now.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Thanks Leslie. We got the generic walgreens pepsid tablets. The vet said since she's still a pup to give her 1/4 of the tablet a day for now.
I don't know about pepcid, but what I use is pepto(the pink stuff). I from the beginning gave Jamie one tablet even when she was younger, but like I said mine is pepto not pepcid.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update on Pistol

She's doing much better. This afternoon I bought pedialyte and started giving it to her. I'm giving her 5cc by syringe two to three times an hour. Not really timing it though. I read somewhere the dosage was 5cc per 10lbs. I don't know if that's correct. I'm not diluting it, but she has been drinking her regular water almost normally since this afternoon. I offered her about 1/4 of a can of i/d. The vet sent us home with 12 cans and said she needs 2 cans a day. I figured she probably won't eat 2 whole cans tomorrow so there was no harm in offering her some tonight. She ate about half of that 1/4 of a can about the time DH got home from work (sometime around 6:30ish?). She's been peeing regularly (that's been fine all along). She hasn't pooped since late morning after we got back from our 0900 vet appointment...so I'm hoping the next one has some consistency to it. She doesn't seem to have any stomach pain, and she's much more alert and watching me as I do stuff around the house.

I'm convinced that it was, in fact, something she ate that caused all of the problems. When I told my mom about it she told me about a shepherd they had before I was born that got super sick with all the same symptoms from eating some kind of bug.

I'm glad she's showing improvement. If she keeps improving at this rate I expect her to be back to normal long before our follow up/vacc appointment a week from today. I'm hoping the Doc will give us the clear to begin our obedience class that starts that Thursday.

I'm not pushing her to get better quick, I just think that she's improving rapidly. There is hope. :)

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I am glad she seems to be improving! Hope she gets better soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts