German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 week old male GSD that is not doing so hot. Long time lurker - first time poster and I need some help!!

Puppy just got done with his first "road trip" about 90 miles in the crate in the backseat of our SUV. Puppy wouldn't lay down and get comfortable, was sick and vomitted several times. Got him home and washed all of the sick off of him in the bath and then dried him. Fed him a cup of dry puppy food and some water. Ever since then he goes to the door and pants to be let outside to go potty. Once he gets outside he immediately squats into "the position" and then try's to defecate. Nothing but some water comes out but he sits in "the position" for about 4 minutes eventually wimpering and grunting and giving up. He then comes back inside and immediately lays on his pillow for about 5 minutes and then goes back to the backdoor and repeats the same cycle.

Is this due to just stress from the ride that he didn't take well? I don't know if we need to take him to the emergency vet and am feeling very bad for our new best friend.

Any guidance?:help::help:

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I am sure someone else will chime in but sounds like he may be constipated. Can you get some canned pumpkin? The kind that does not have all the spices in it, just plain. Give him a couple of tablespoons over the next couple of days.

How is he otherwise? If he seems to get worse of does not poo in the next day I would take him to the vet. It is probably stress from all the changes he has just been through. I would also call the breeder and ask if he was pooing normal before you picked him up.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
If he is pooping nothing but straight water, please take him to the vet immediately. Pups can get dehydrated extremely fast.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry - should have clarified. We brought him home about a month ago, this was the first time he was in the car for an extended amount of time (90 minutes) in the kennel. He had solid stool earlier this afternoon and has been consistent in his bowel movements for the last 3 weeks (first time we brought him home he was full of worms). He screamed and clawed the entire way in the kennel and threw up all his lunch and water several times - he hasn't vomited since he got home.

My biggest concern is that he thinks he has to go to the bathroom and the frequency is more and more ~5 minutes between laying down and going outside and while he is outside he is grunting and struggling like he is trying to pass something.

Emergency vet said to bring him in only if he became lethargic or if we saw blood in stool - I'm still concerned about the frequency at which he wants to go outside. Hoping this is just stress related and he will be better soon. Trying to get him to drink more water!

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
So, is he pooping straight water?
Plus, he was brought home at way too young of an age. If you have pedialyte, try giving him that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, is he pooping straight water?
The first two times yes, some water was discharged. The last several times he has gone outside nothing has come out, he will just sit there and grunt for 4 or 5 minutes before giving up and coming back inside. I have put some kennel in his water bowl and he is drinking and eating like he is famished but acting lively.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts

·
Registered
32,009 Posts
Call the vet. It sounds like he was stressed right over the ride. I wouldn't give him any food, just water for now.

What shots does he have? Did you take him anywhere that he could have been exposed to something?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Call the vet. It sounds like he was stressed right over the ride. I wouldn't give him any food, just water for now.

What shots does he have? Did you take him anywhere that he could have been exposed to something?
He hasn't been exposed to any other dogs in the last two weeks that would have caused this. He has had his normal rounds of shots by 10 weeks. I think it's too coincidental that he is acting so crazy right after a stressful car ride and he is sleeping now but I'm no vet.

I'm going to see if he stays resting for a little bit but if he tries to go outside again I'm taking him to the e-vet.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
he sounds constipated. How does he do on short rides? Does he get stressed out over short rides? Try the pumpkin and if that doesnt work get that pup to the vet IMMEDIATELY!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
he sounds constipated. How does he do on short rides? Does he get stressed out over short rides? Try the pumpkin and if that doesnt work get that pup to the vet IMMEDIATELY!!!
When I take him to the vet for his normal shots its like a 15minute ride and he gets sick both ways.

I've been working with him driving around the neighborhood over the last couple of weeks and he is making it longer and longer without getting car sick.

Will try the pumpkin - he's asleep and has been napping for the last 20 minutes so I think he's stressed and with the food and water in his system he's just tuckered out.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Not to say this is what's going on; definitely call the vet if it worsens, but my friend's dog kept trying to go, literally every 5 min, squat and only a little water would come out if any. Ended up that he ate a sock! It passed after a day and he was fine afterwards but he was blocked hence why the sensation that he had to go but nothing would come out.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Any chance he has eaten something he shouldn't have and has a blockage?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any chance he has eaten something he shouldn't have and has a blockage?
That's what we are thinking. We were visiting the parents and he was outside in a new yard that he explored thoroughly. They have several gardens in the backyard that he was playing in and he may have just ate something that upset his tummy - in combination with the stress from the ride home. His stool was solid when he went potty right before we left and I didn't see him get into/eat anything that would cause him to physically backup.

Were first time puppy owners but are pretty well educated from this wonderful site and several books/guidance from great people like you guys.

I'm going to go pickup some pedialyte and canned pumpkin and give that a shot once he wakes up. He's pretty tuckered out but no longer getting up to go to the potty.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
When I take him to the vet for his normal shots its like a 15minute ride and he gets sick both ways.

I've been working with him driving around the neighborhood over the last couple of weeks and he is making it longer and longer without getting car sick.

Will try the pumpkin - he's asleep and has been napping for the last 20 minutes so I think he's stressed and with the food and water in his system he's just tuckered out.

i had car sick issues with my pup but she's good now. Even likes rides a little bit lol. i agree it also does sound like your pup may have a blockage. You should have him checked just in case.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I wouldn't feed him anything right now but give him plenty of water b/c he's certainly dehydrated. There are some dogs that get extremely car sick and he may be one of them. So it may just be his system is totally out of whack.

I would definitely call the vet and explain the situation and see what they recommend. Do you have a thermometer so that you could take his temperature?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts