German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I brought home a 6 week old GS puppy about a week ago, and hubby decided that he wanted to get him on a raw diet. We read almost everywhere that you should switch them cold turkey, and so that's what we did. We don't have any problem getting him to eat, but I'm worried because he looks like he's lost a lot of weight since the switch. He also has really runny poops, even though I've been giving him pumpkin. After all of this, today he seems extra down, like he has no energy.

I like that the raw diet is supposed to be a lot healthier for the pup, but ai'm concerned we aren't doing something right and that it will hurt more than help in the long run.

Advice/suggestions? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
If he's not acting right and has really runny poop, I'd get to a vet ASAP, as in tonight. A young puppy like that could have Parvo and it can be fatal in a very short amount of time. It's a virus and wouldn't have been attributed to the diet.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
I would run a fecal on the pup to rule out any type of parasite so, yes a visit to your vet is a very good idea. Also, your pup is very young and the sudden switch could be much harder on him. The couple of times I switched a young pup (8-9 weeks) I ground the food for them for little while.

Be forewarned. Most vets don't agree with raw feeding so your vet may freak out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts