German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ended up with a sick pup from a good breeder and if so, what did you do?

We brought our pup home day before yesterday (4.5 hr drive each way) and brought her to our vet yesterday. Vet found some eye discharge and an ear infection. I figured, ok not a huge deal. Last night, she started throwing up in her crate. Four times in about 6 hours and followed by diarrhea this morning. Brought her back to the vet this morning. Tested for parvo. Negative thank God. Took blood, fecal and samples are getting sent to lab. Gave her an IV and some meds to help with nausea and diarrhea. $600 bill. I know for a fact she did not eat or get into anything here and given the ear infection and eye discharge don't think she instantly got sick here either. This is far from our first pup, but the first we've ever had this happen to. Breeder is very well known and respected but I'm not too happy about a $600 bill within two days. Thoughts??

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
It happens. These are living creatures. It's also possible that moving her 4.5 hours, the vet visit and the upheaval from all she knows could have created anxiety and upset her stomach. I would suggest waiting on the test results to see if there is anything medically wrong and then contacting the breeder directly based on those results. I assume your contract has a 72 hour vet clause in there.

I am surprised at the ear infection. Was it bacterial? or did the vet just find a gunky ear with some yeast? There is a difference.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It happens. These are living creatures. It's also possible that moving her 4.5 hours, the vet visit and the upheaval from all she knows could have created anxiety and upset her stomach. I would suggest waiting on the test results to see if there is anything medically wrong and then contacting the breeder directly based on those results. I assume your contract has a 72 hour vet clause in there.

I am surprised at the ear infection. Was it bacterial? or did the vet just find a gunky ear with some yeast? There is a difference.
Totally get what you're saying. We knew her tummy was a little uneasy on the ride because she was having bad gas but as soon as we got her home she was full on happy puppy. The ear infection was both bacterial and yeast.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Totally get what you're saying. We knew her tummy was a little uneasy on the ride because she was having bad gas but as soon as we got her home she was full on happy puppy.
It could still be the after effects of the anxiety and ride. I guess you need to wait for the bloodwork. Is she still sick today?

I would be on the phone with the breeder regarding the ear infection. I would expect them to pay that bill. You do have a contract, right?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It could still be the after effects of the anxiety and ride. I guess you need to wait for the bloodwork. Is she still sick today?

I would be on the phone with the breeder regarding the ear infection. I would expect them to pay that bill. You do have a contract, right?
She hasn't thrown up since early this morning but was very lethargic before going to the vet. She's sleeping right now. I'm sure the vet trip this morning with IV and bloodwork has wiped her out even more.

Yup, definitely have a contract. I appreciate your advice. We recently lost our 10.5 year old shepherd so I'm definitely a little more sensitive to things right now. Don't want to overreact but don't want to dismiss things either.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Just call your breeder and talk to them. Wasnt' there a puppy vet check done? That ear should have been caught then. The ear bill should definitely be covered. The diarrhea and vomiting could have just been nerves so let your breeder know this happened but don't jump to demands just yet. Wait for the results and to see if she gets better.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So she still isn't well. No vomiting but had diarrhea once yesterday. She won't touch food or water and wants to sleep all day. We get her up every couple hours to play and she almost seems normal but subdued for a puppy. She's losing weight and getting skinny. We should hear something on the blood/fecal tests from our vet tomorrow. Through all this she remains the sweetest little pup. I'm just sick about this whole thing.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
So she still isn't well. No vomiting but had diarrhea once yesterday. She won't touch food or water and wants to sleep all day. We get her up every couple hours to play and she almost seems normal but subdued for a puppy. She's losing weight and getting skinny. We should hear something on the blood/fecal tests from our vet tomorrow. Through all this she remains the sweetest little pup. I'm just sick about this whole thing.
Should you test again for Parvo? Did they test for tick diseases? I would take her back in. If she's not drinking this is serious.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was wondering about a false negative on the parvo. They have not checked for any tick diseases yet. Will definitely be going back in. Appreciate it your help Jax.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
what about distemper? I do not know anything about these diseases but it's a puppy so I would be testing for everything. seems to me it would commonly be parvo, distemper or possibly a tick disease. OR the puppy got into something, which given the time frame probably would not have happened with you but with the breeder. Have you talked to the breeder yet? I would want to know if any other puppy was sick.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Has anyone ended up with a sick pup from a good breeder and if so, what did you do?

We brought our pup home day before yesterday (4.5 hr drive each way) and brought her to our vet yesterday. Vet found some eye discharge and an ear infection. I figured, ok not a huge deal. Last night, she started throwing up in her crate. Four times in about 6 hours and followed by diarrhea this morning. Brought her back to the vet this morning. Tested for parvo. Negative thank God. Took blood, fecal and samples are getting sent to lab. Gave her an IV and some meds to help with nausea and diarrhea. $600 bill. I know for a fact she did not eat or get into anything here and given the ear infection and eye discharge don't think she instantly got sick here either. This is far from our first pup, but the first we've ever had this happen to. Breeder is very well known and respected but I'm not too happy about a $600 bill within two days. Thoughts??
Oh ya. I had probably one of the saddest cases of puppy sickness with Kias.
His probs were the back legs and diarrhea. Completely malnourished, completely weak, back legs were no good. I had to give him a wash down every time he used the bathroom because he couldn't stand! It was miserable, and I could tell he was upset and embarrassed at not being able to stand, as he would try to scoot away from me, poor guy, as he was lying in the ground. It was a calcium deficiency and he is a happy healthy dog now. You can't even tell his back legs were unusable only a month or so ago! I was and am still so relieved.

Oh, make sure she's getting water!!! if you don't she'll get dehydrated with the diarrhea!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Is there any blood in the stool?
Is it watery?
Bloated stomach or abdomen?
Those are all symptoms of pure trouble. Maybe try giving her pumpkin or rice for the diarrhea is she will eat it.

She could be in an emergency any time. for puppies, sick is REALLY sick. Especially with your description, I would be ON YOUR GUARD for an emergency.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Ask the breeder if the puppy ingested something odd recently. That could also be an easy solution. This sounds like much more that stress.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Talked to the breeder. None of the other pups are having any issues and he's perplexed as well. She hasn't had diarrhea or vomited since early yesterday. No blood in stool, no bloated or swollen stomach or abdomen. No signs of pain. Just wants to sleep most of the day and will not eat or drink. I'm force hydrating her with pedialyte and water. Should get lab results back tomorrow. I'm watching over her like a hawk. I can't lose her.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Please do. I'm as worried as you are now. ugggggg. It's so hard waiting for results. Please stick to her. The only thing I can think of is a viral disease or intestinal. Please tell me the results. I'm so sorry to hear this.

Reactions: buddyr93

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Please do. I'm as worried as you are now. ugggggg. It's so hard waiting for results. Please stick to her. The only thing I can think of is a viral disease or intestinal. Please tell me the results. I'm so sorry to hear this.
Thank you Kathryn. Hopefully the results point to something! I just got her to eat a little shredded cheese and some scrambled egg. Still wants nothing to do with chicken or rice, but I'll take what I can get at this point!

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
What food is the breeder feeding? What water are you giving her? I mean, maybe going from well water to tap water from a city that puts chemicals like floride in the water might make a difference to the sensitive stomach. Lethargy, refusal of food, are not good signs. Have you taken her temperature? How old is the puppy?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Thank you Kathryn. Hopefully the results point to something! I just got her to eat a little shredded cheese and some scrambled egg. Still wants nothing to do with chicken or rice, but I'll take what I can get at this point!
That's good! I'm glad she is at least eating something! I hope she feels better soon. Please let me know if anything changes. I'm worried about her.

Reactions: buddyr93

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What food is the breeder feeding? What water are you giving her? I mean, maybe going from well water to tap water from a city that puts chemicals like floride in the water might make a difference to the sensitive stomach. Lethargy, refusal of food, are not good signs. Have you taken her temperature? How old is the puppy?
Breeder was feeding raw. We are not so we started transitioning with cooked chicken and brown rice which she ate great the first night and next morning. Not sure about the water at the breeder but that's a good point. Vet took her temp yesterday. No sign of fever. She's almost 9 weeks.

After she ate the egg, she perked up quite a bit and actually played like a puppy for a while.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Breeder was feeding raw. We are not so we started transitioning with cooked chicken and brown rice which she ate great the first night and next morning. Not sure about the water at the breeder but that's a good point. Vet took her temp yesterday. No sign of fever. She's almost 9 weeks.

After she ate the egg, she perked up quite a bit and actually played like a puppy for a while.
Yay! Breeder was feeding her raw!!? How old is she? The breeder was feeding Kias raw and that was the cause of his sickness! Could she be reacting to the meat? We had a dog who was allergic, or at least couldn't eat raw meat. We had to feed him something else.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts