German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something is horribly wrong, my guys are getting sick one by one with vomiting and diarrhea.

New puppy fly in Friday afternoon. She has has loose stool (no vomiting). I put her on chicken/rice last night, no change as of this afternoon (liquid) except she isn't going as often. I'm waiting on this evenings poo. Sat a.m. fecal was negative.

Adult dogs - they eat kibble but i give them a Nature's Variety raw medallion as a treat each evening. Pet Surplus was out of them the other day so I bought a different brand (Vital) which I gave each of them one last night (sat).

No one would eat this a.m. which occurs sometimes. Moses started vomiting. NOthing was on his stomach so it was water. He did this on and off all day. He felt well enough to chase squirrels so I didn't worry too much but kept an eye on him and made sure he got water. He went a couple of hours without vomiting until just a few minutes ago. Also he went to poo for the first time today and it was water.

Five minutes ago Gilda went poo that was all water and she just threw up (nothing on her stomach either).

So far Layla is the only one not showing any symptoms but since Gilda just started she may soon follow suit. It's obvious now Moses isn't feeling well.

I'm thinking what they have is not related to what the puppy has. My concerrn is that it may be the new raw medallion they go last night. Maybe bad meat? I pray it's not e coli...which I think it takes a few days for that to show symptoms so keeping my fingers crossed it's not.

Any experience out there with anything similiar? I'm starting to get really worried. I will call the vet first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I wish I had some advice for you but this one is over my head.

I don't know what it is you gave them exactly but it sounds like that may be the cause. I would definitely get a fecal on at least one of them (the adults that is, since you think it may be unrelated to the puppy) ASAP. Ask the vet of course how long something like this would take to show up in a fecal.

My main reason for replying at all with no real advice is to caution you to ensure they are drinking a bunch of water so they don't get dehydrated. It can happen pretty fast.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
It always seems like dogs only get sick outside of normal working hours! It sounds like they have some sort of germ from something, either the new puppy brought it in or it's from the dog food. Hard to say. I for sure wouldn't feed them tonight and make that call in the morning. Really keep an eye on the puppy as they can dehydrate extremely fast.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I'm concerned for that as well. Right now my biggest concern is Moses since he started with it this a.m. Gilda just started this evening. I did call Pets Supply Plus this afternoon and ask if they were aware of anything on this new brand which they did not. I gave them feedback on what was going on. It's Vital Essentials Raw.

I'm hoping Layla doesn't start with the symptoms. I'm holding out if she doesn't then it's not e coli. She has an iron stomach and always has great poops. Moses and Gilda occasionally will have loose stools so I'm sure hoping it's just something they can't handle but water coming out both ends is never a good sign.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Oh my, I have no advice to offer but just wanted to send positive thoughts your way. I know I would be out of my mind! I hope it all turns out well. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
E-coli is found in all poo and takes about 12 hours to affect animals if levels are high enough to cause illness. I wouldn't assume new pup because he hasn't been there long enough for anything he has to actually start making them ill so I think it sounds like the food. Obviously ditch the food and fast them for 24-48 hours offering only water. Honestly though if it is the food it has to run it's course naturally and you want them to expel whatever it is that is causing illness- the vet can probably only offer really expensive inconclusive tests and fluids so I would go stock up on pedialyte and syringe feed then 1/4 cup every hour for the next day:) Good luck and I hope by tomorrow night everyone is on the mend.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Geez, not a great way to greet the new pup! I have no idea, other than the unusual raw. I feed Nature's Variety raw too and the only time there was a problem was because the venison was a little too rich for the pups, but nothing like you're experiencing. Seems to be the common denominator. Hope things are better in the morning

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Zoey's Mom, that makes me feel a little better. I think it's the food as well and not at all related to the puppy's diaherra which she just confirmed she still has. Her last 4 meals have been chicken and rice and no change there. SHe's not vomiting which is why I don't think there is any relation between what they have and she has. It's gonig to be a long night/day coming up.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Just get the pedialyte and breath a little. My dogs has similar symptoms about a month ago when our exterminator sprayed the outside of our house for ants. We kept the dogs in for 5 hours as directed but somehow they managed to become ill anyways and had water diarrhea and vomiting for a day and a half. I bought a case of pedialyte and syringe fed them this leaving water out as well every hour even through the night. The poison ran it's course though they didn't eat well for days after even home cooked chicken and rice. I slowly mixed their kibble back in over a weeks period and by the next week everything was back to normal. Just keep them confined to some linoleum flooring,lol- there is nothing like cleaning pukey poopy kennels out at 3:00 a.m and then having to hose the dogs down as well;)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Excellent advise Zoeys mom! Makes me feel a bit better myself. I can definitely feel GSDAlphaMom's pain and concern with all of this!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: Good news! Sigourney has coccicia. Not that that is 'good' news but considering all the other possiblities I'll take that since it's treatable! I had dropped a fecal by the neighborhood vet sat (my vet is a ways off and didn't have any openings sat) and they said it was negative. I got to my 'real' vet today and they caught it.

The vet thinks the adults got sick from the new brand of raw that I tried. They are on the mends today so hopefully no more vomiting and diarrhea!

·
Registered
213 Posts
gella had that.....I hope yours doesn't follow in her footsteps!
Now I'm thinking what hasn't she had!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts