German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend and I were given a 5 week old female GS pup 2 weeks ago today. She was great at first, but for the past week she's been poor. She won't eat unless force fed and has terrible diarrhea. I thought it was just worms, at first, so we wormed her, but she's still in a terrible condition. She's supposed to be a full blooded sheperd. She was born outside in NE Louisiana, and was kept outside the first 5 weeks of her life, until we got her. She's been an inside babe ever since. We have babied her since we got her. When we brought her home, we bathed her and did everything we did with our Boxer when we got her as a pup. She's the smartest dog I've ever had, and I'm driving myself insane right now. When she has a bowel movement, it's straight water. She whines a lot, and just seems miserable now. We don't have the money to take her to the vet for another 3 weeks, and I'm scared to death she's going to die. I've been force feeding her puppy milk and watered down gatorade for electrolytes. I used to have a vet (he retired a decade or so ago) that told me pet milk, or baby food, and watered down gatorade is best for diarrhea and lack of appetite. Can someone PLEASE give me some advice?! I'm driving myself insane here, and the local no kill shelter can't take her stating they have no room. If I were to surrender her to the kill shelter, due to her being sick, they'd kill her instantly and that breaks my heart. Can someone please help us?!

I know this is all over the place & I'm sure there's TONS I'm leaving out, but my mind is all over the place.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Get her to a vet. I'm sure they can work out some plan for payment. This pup sounds very sick and in pain, and could die if you don't get help for her, if she even survived the night. Take her to a vet NOW. Puppies go downhill very fast so you don't have time to wait.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Why did you accept the puppy if you couldn't afford vet bills? Puppies have a lot of vet bills, even when perfectly healthy. Most of us have to at least take the puppy in for vaccines every 3-4 weeks, and we usually do at least one fecal sample on top of that. I honestly plan for my puppies to come home with some sort of parasite that needs medication so I can plan and budget for it. If the puppy is healthy, awesome! But at least I won't be surprised if/when it does happen and I will already have the money set aside for it.

This dog needs to see a vet. Now. If you cannot do that, the puppy will die. You may as well take it to the shelter where it will have a chance, or at the very least, a peaceful death. Remember this the next time you even consider getting another pet.

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
Nicole, the pup's life is in danger without vet care -- immediately. This means today, not Monday.

There's a high likelihood she has an infection that could kill her. Possibly parvo, but likely intestinal worms that are common in LA and lethal to puppies if not treated: whipworms, hookworms, etc. Worse, outside-raised puppies down here acquire all sorts of other weird infections -- the last litter I took in had coccidia, camphylo, clostridium, corona virus causing their diarrhea (but not parvo). They got through it with good vet care and are fine now.

Can you get her to South Louisiana? If so, *please* call Cypress Lake Animal Hospital in Prairieville. That clinic might be able to save this pup. It handles all the vetting for our local GS rescue (and Boxer rescue, and many others!)

The vet who's the clinic owner is a miracle worker with parvo and rarely loses a puppy to it anymore -- she's developed her own special protocol because she handles so many rescue dogs, and it works. She also *sometimes* takes surrendered dogs for people who can't afford them because she has many rescues as clients and can get help placing them once healthy. Most of her techs foster for different rescues too. They are amazing at saving the sickest of the sick -- kind, compassionate, brilliant people.

Just call them today. (225) 313-3057 -- ask for Ashley. They have clients that come from several states away for the quality of care they give -- you just can find vets like this most places down here!

If you can't get to South LA, contact Texas Star Rescue in Long View, TX through their FB page. Long View isn't far from Shreveport. They're all breed, but they take in a lot of GSDs and Mals from Louisiana, and they're good people.

Otherwise take her to the LSU Vet School in Baton Rouge, as a Good Samaritan drop off. They'll likely treat her and place her, if she lives. I'd rather see her at Cypress because I trust Dr. Kristen with sick dogs more than I do anyone else in the state, but if Cypress won't take her, LSU might.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts