German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm new to the board! I have had Shepherds my entire life, love the breed so much we spent years into finding the right dogs to breed.. this is our first litter and up until yesterday, everything was going great.. I woke up to a pup in distress yesterday. He was vomiting, wheezing, and sleeping a lot.. (but would wake & move around) and it was coming out of his nose. I quickly grabbed him and helped him.. I then called our vet and rushed him there. Our vet checked his blood, stool, stomach & intestines, and x-rayed his lungs. everything was normal.. vet couldn't figure it out so he kept him all afternoon working with him. The vet ended up giving him fluids, a shot to stop the vomiting, and albon an antibiotic.. I got him home last night and he slept alot (s.e. from shot) and I woke him every 2 hrs to feed. I made sure to give him antibiotic on empty stomach because he seem to vomit after eating. I was up all night long with this little guy.. he would vomit after nursing. The vomit consists of mike and clear mucus. I did get a little bit of gatoraid in him with the med syringe.. and he kept it down.. but as soon as he fed... he vomited. I am stumped! Has anyone seen this before, or dealt with this and can guide me on anything I'm missing here? I'm not sure if I should call the vet or give antibiotic time to work and give him more gatoraid to keep him from dehydrating & to keep his blood sugar up? :confused:

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Light Karo syrup can help with blood sugar or energy. Also a product called Pet Nutri Drops (I always have on hand for new puppies).
*I'm concerned because the vet had no real findings...did/does the puppy have a "fever"?
Several things come to my mind when I hear of a 3 wk old puppy with some of these symptoms....(besides the dreaded Parvo Virus).
1) Coccidia ( usually treated with Albon antibiotic).
2) Giardia (usually treated with Flagyl)
3) Trichomonas (usually treated with Flagyl)
I would also consider a form of Respiratory infection, to be a possible culprit.
*No way of actually knowing without the Vet results*.
JMO...I'm not a vet...so I can only speculate.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Call the vet and report that there is no improvement. A pup this young can dehydrate very quickly.
What did the vet check when you were in? Was the pups mouth/ palate examined? Have you tried feeding the pup by hand- to control the delivery of the milk?
I hope your little baby gets through this !!!

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Light Karo syrup can help with blood sugar or energy. Also a product called Pet Nutri Drops (I always have on hand for new puppies).
*I'm concerned because the vet had no real findings...did/does the puppy have a "fever"?
Several things come to my mind when I hear of a 3 wk old puppy with some of these symptoms....(besides the dreaded Parvo Virus).
1) Coccidia ( usually treated with Albon antibiotic).
2) Giardia (usually treated with Flagyl)
3) Trichomonas (usually treated with Flagyl)
I would also consider a form of Respiratory infection, to be a possible culprit.
*No way of actually knowing without the Vet results*.
JMO...I'm not a vet...so I can only speculate.
Robin, do you think she should get a second Vet's opinion?

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
I would definitely seek medical attention....especially if the puppy is not showing any improved signs.
If the 1st Vet took blood, and checked for a temperature...I would also want to know those findings as well.
Puppies can also easily aspirate....so infection is always a possibility.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Gag...the only Mega puppy I have personal experience with.....we diagnosed when he started eating solid kibble (approx 5-6 wks old). While he was eating "softened food"...he showed no signs.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
I co-owned a bitch who had a litter, we thought she was an awful mom as the pups just died for no apparent reason. Made the decision not to breed her again.
Few years later, accidental litter. Pups started dying.

I got them and took them to the vet clinics over and over. Vets kept telling me it was gas, or they just did not know. Finally did a barium radiograph series on the last one (3 weeks old) and found that he did indeed have mega-e.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm calling the vet back as soon as they open. Thanks for the advice! I do wonder if its the Mega-e? He sleeps in an elevated position.. always. I hae him in a towel proped up with a pillow now. He has no fever, and the vet checked his gums, said that they looked fine colorwise and said they found nothing with the bloodwork, and that the bloodsugar was good. He's got an appetite.. just can't keep it down. whe he vomits, its about a tablespoon or 2's worth..

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
I would also say megaesophagus Megaesophagus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , in fact I am puzzled why the vet didn't think to look for this first. Often pups with megaesophagus quietly pass away before 3 weeks from aspirating milk into their lungs and getting an infection , or not getting enough nutrition to be competent .
Is your pup keeping up in growth with the others? Sorry that you have to encounter problems in your first litter .
Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
MegaE was my thought too, especially if there is no fever or other signs of illness. Though it would be an unusually severe case to show up this young while pups are still nursing. Normally it can't be seen until they are weaned to solid food.

Really I'm a bit concerned with the vet's lack of response or diagnosis, and just throwing antibiotics at the pup without knowing what exactly is going on. Pup needs to be seen by a vet who will put the effort uncovering the problem and providing appropriate treatment options.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Hi Chris , you said it "would be an unusually severe case to show up this young" I would beg to differ and say it was the other way around . Most pups with megaE die in the first week or so . They suck the milk and it flows right out the nostrils . If you weren't really looking you would just see a pup that starts to lose in the competition for the teat, getting progressively weaker -- and then attributed to some fading puppy syndrome. That this pup has made it to 3 weeks MIGHT indicate that some he has a chance , if he doesn't get a secondary problem. In all my contacts with people at the different health shows that I frequent someone had mentioned a "Bailey Chair" . I thought how considerate , they have a chair for mum , a chair for dad, and a special dog only soft chair for "Bailey". I was informed that a Bailey chair is a special devise to set the dog upright at feeding time to help the food go down , with gravity I guess. So here is some information and a support group for people with dogs with physical eating problems MegaE being one of them megaesophagus : Megaesophagus
Another method that I am aware of is tables with legs to elevate the food so that the dogs head is raised while eating.
good luck puppy
Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
We had a litter of 5 pups.....mother was full of milk (the milk actually squirted from her nipples when she moved)..that the puppies drank too much, too fast....they would have milk come from their nose and choke.
1 puppy aspirated and was put on antibiotics for a few days.
No MegaE...all healthy, fat puppies. We kept 3 from the litter.....Cuervo, Carlos & Chulla.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
We had a litter of 5 pups.....mother was full of milk (the milk actually squirted from her nipples when she moved)..that the puppies drank too much, too fast....they would have milk come from their nose and choke.
1 puppy aspirated and was put on antibiotics for a few days.
No MegaE...all healthy, fat puppies. We kept 3 from the litter.....Cuervo, Carlos & Chulla.
Boy, that would be so much better for the OP!
Crossing fingers that the pup will be alright.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He was 3 weeks yesterday, and is keeping up weight wise with all but 2 that are little tanks. He's a voracious eater (wonder about that too.. :) eating to fast) This morning, I took Zelda in the living room, put her on the couch and let him feed in an elevated position, then when he slowed down to a stop I grabbed him.. thanking momma, and wrapped him up and held him in an upright position until he fell asleep.. now hes in a laundry basket propped up asleep.. no vomit so far, its been almost 2 hrs.. keeping my fingers crossed!

on the phone with vet now.. nurse said a few of the doc's worked w/ pup yesterday.. she's going to ask them and call back.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Hi Chris , you said it "would be an unusually severe case to show up this young" I would beg to differ and say it was the other way around . Most pups with megaE die in the first week or so . They suck the milk and it flows right out the nostrils .
Alright, let me rephrase.

It is unusual for a pup with a severe enough case of MegaE that he can't swallow liquid to have survived this long, much less without symptoms. Most pups who would make it to the 3 week mark symptom free would be milder cases and wouldn't start showing symptoms until moved to more solid food. If bad enough to have trouble swallowing liquid, it usually would present with problems, and likely death, before this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I called the vet, and they will do the barium test to see if its Mega-e.. I did give them a bit of moist dog food milked down with puppy milk replacer the day this happened. Everyone did great and loved it except this one little guy. He's still elevated, its been more than 2 hrs since he nursed and is keeping it down so far.. The food I gave them was a small amount & milked down like a pudding or gravy..

1 - 20 of 37 Posts