German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a two year old rescue gsd, who has Sibo she is very skinny, weighs 20.3 kg
She is a lovely girl, very active, very friendly, voracious appetite, her symptoms are o
Occasional diarrhoea, when I mess with her pro biotics, or introduce a new protein, she is raw fed
At the moment is on rabbit and mashed potatoes, and sardines, she has large smelly poos but they are fairly firm, I have b12 tablets but not sure on the dosage she should have, no antibiotic’s as yet as trying to get her to put weight on without medication, as she has been over medicated before she came to me, I have had her for three months. Just wondered what the basic diet for sibo should be, and what enzymes, pre/pro biotics she should have. she has kefir is this good or not, very new to all this, so very interested in peoples opinions on sibo, can some cases be worse than others.

· Registered
6,971 Posts
Hi, Kamaxe -- welcome to the forum! Has she actually been diagnosed with SIBO, IBD, or food allergies? What diagnostics has your vet run? Have you definitively ruled out parasites and/or pathogens from her raw diet?

I ask that because raw is contra-indicated with some GI problems. My IBD dog could not tolerate it as his condition worsened -- he actually did better with lean beef lightly boiled (and the fat removed) than he did with raw beef. Dogs who have impaired gut microbiomes often cannot handle the pathogens in raw meat, and they may need lower fat contents in some cases.

I also wouldn't self-medicate with B12 if you haven't talked to your vet -- testing B12 and folate absorption before supplementation is sometimes how they identify some GI conditions.

EPI is also something I might want to rule out in a dog with chronic issues, before throwing guesses at the wall as to what's going on -- especially if you're headed down the SIBO rabbit-hole.

A basic fecal float from the vet is also key information -- if there are pathogens like giardia or microscopic worms, then there is no diet that will fix it without medication. Your vet should be able to help you rule these possibilities out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts