German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

So, as Cody is developing his behavior is evolving too.

He has always been 50/50 with other dogs on lead. sometimes friendly, sometimes aggressive, sometimes indifferent. So I have been trying to work on that. (treats when dogs are passing, making him sit while other dogs pass, etc..)

I have also been taking him to dog day camp about once every two weeks just to let him hang out with other dogs all day.

So the camp staff says Cody is shy (not really fearful) but more of an introvert at camp. just lays around doesn't play much. will mingle with other dogs some, but mainly keeps to himself. This is odd to me because with Mandi (our other dog) he is constantly wanting to play. So why not with all these day care dogs?

but my real question is why would my dog who is so shy / gentle / introverted at day camp. Be barking / lunging at say 30% of the dogs we pass on walks?

Thanks for the input and sorry it is long winded. here are a couple recent dog camp pics ;)

He is the darkest GSD...2 more there with him that day

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Hi all,

So, as Cody is developing his behavior is evolving too.

He has always been 50/50 with other dogs on lead. sometimes friendly, sometimes aggressive, sometimes indifferent. So I have been trying to work on that. (treats when dogs are passing, making him sit while other dogs pass, etc..)

I have also been taking him to dog day camp about once every two weeks just to let him hang out with other dogs all day.
I used to work at a doggy daycare. Some dogs just don't like being left, especially if they are insecure. And some dogs don't like the idea of hanging out with a bunch of strangers all day nearly as much as their owners think they do. Why pay for him to go some place that he doesn't enjoy? FWIW Daycare is not going to help his on lead aggression, if anything it might make it worse. One thing I noticed was that many of the daycare regulars eventually became on lead aggressive, even ones which got along great with the other dogs.

I would suggest the Control Unleashed book for help with his on leash aggression.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi agile gsd, thanks for the feed back.

i just thought him hanging around dogs all day would help him get used to strange dogs, and help him understand that when he see's one on walks that they are most likely friendly and "no big deal"

I should get that book, because so far everything ive tried for positive stuff like treats when we are near strange dogs to negative things like a pop of the prong when he starts to act like a punk. and nothing helps. but like i said...it's not every dog either. and to date i cannot pin it down on small dogs, guy dogs etc... so im struggling with the cause and of course the solution to his on lead aggression

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh...so if Cody is insecure, what can i do to make him feel more secure? confindence building stuff?

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Cody is so handsome! :wub:

Ok now that I got that out of me....

I dont know how to fix your problem but I can tell you that Sinister loves being with other dogs and playing with them but if I left him at doggy day care I bet he would do the same thing that your Cody is doing except Sinister would make a **** of alot more noise. He hates when I hand him off to someone else and I walk away. He will bark, he will sit and stare at me, he will look around for me. If he is not at home in his crate and I am not there he would flip out. So maybe Cody's way of dealing with it is avoiding interaction with the other dogs because he is uncomfortable and he misses you?

Maybe Cody has SA?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi laren,

thanks again for the compliment. i think me does have SA to some degree. he definitely did NOT want me to leave him there. he wanted to come with me....but wouldnt' all dogs?

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
hi laren,

thanks again for the compliment. i think me does have SA to some degree. he definitely did NOT want me to leave him there. he wanted to come with me....but wouldnt' all dogs?
To be honest with you Josh, I dont think Cody likes being there at all. I wouldn't take him there anymore if I were you. Maybe you can hire a dog walker to come and be with him every couple of days instead (I know you feel bad about leaving Cody home alone).

No, not all dogs mind if you leave. Rogue wouldn't mind being left somewhere but he doesn't like other dogs.

My friends 2 Min Pin's couldn't be left alone but her ACD mix wouldn't mind being left alone with other dogs.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, he might not. BUT kids dont' really like school, but it's still good for them and they have to go.

if all day camp iss doing is damaging him then ill stop. but he's not aggressive there...

also, i do have dog walkers come usually once a day while im at work. but i told them to cancel, so he could socialize...

so maybe i should look at the SA issue too?

·
5,627 Posts
I agree, not all dogs mind being left but our shepherds like to be with their people.

Raven used to go to the dog park and daycare as a puppy but around 1-1.5 yrs old, she stopped being interested in playing with strange dogs so we stop going to those places.

LaRen had a great idea. Can you hire someone to come take him for a walk instead? In my area, it's cheaper than daycare and I think he'd enjoy it more. He'd form a bond with the dogwalker and his mind will get more exercise on a walk and he'd get to stay in his home for most of the day.

Definitely get the book suggested and start working on the leash reactivity.

·
5,627 Posts
so maybe i should look at the SA issue too?
Does he have trouble being left at home? I don't think you have a SA issue from what you've posted. Raven doesn't like it when I hand her over to the groomer to get her nails cut and tries to jump over the counter to get back to me but once I'm out of sight, she's fine. I also have to hand her off to people at events so I can talk to people or go the bathroom and while she'll whine when I walk away or keep a close eye on where I went, that's normal with the breed to a certain degree. They want to be with their people.

Unless he is really freaking out when you walk away (panting, crying, trying desperately to get to you) or being destructive at home when you leave him, I wouldn't worry about SA.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I personally am not a big fan of doggie daycare for dogs like this. Dante isn't aggressive with other dogs at all, and is very playful and peaceful with our other dogs. However, he is the type that would be very unhappy being left in daycare, and I have a number of reservations as well, so I don't take him.

Honestly none of our dogs would really enjoy this. Micah would probably be the only one to get any use out of it and he likely wouldn't care for it either. Shepherds are not labradors - an adult usually doesn't want to go to daycare or dog parks, etc. There are always exceptions to the rule (before someone posts "my shepherd loves daycare and dog parks!) but as a whole, the breed isn't known for doing well in these kinds of enviornments.

Getting kids to school and dogs to daycare isn't really the same thing IMHO. Unless your dog "has" to go to daycare because you work 12 hr days or something, there's nothing to be gained if they aren't enjoying it.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks Raven,

i am suprised with the responses though...which is why i ask questions here lol.

socialize, socialize, socialize is all you hear. yet, everyone seems to think i should stop taking him to day care.

and Raven I do have a dog walker come 3/5 days of the week (can only afford 3). he love the walks and walker.

i also find it interested that there seems to be no correlation with how he acts with dogs on lead vs. off. he's like a totally different dog...

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gsd raven... he does pretty willingly go into his crate when i have to go to work.

BUT he does destroy things. that why he's still crated. and he DOES as you mentioned try to get to me if im still in sight. but the handlers say he is very cooperative with them all day.

Rerun, thanks for chiming in. my kids/school anaology wasn't totally accurate but, i guess my point was IF this will help him with other dogs then he should be going whether he has fun there or not. if he's not having fun AND it's not helping then whats the point right? lol

well, it does sound like everyone thinks i should bail on daycare...

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
thanks Raven,

i am suprised with the responses though...which is why i ask questions here lol.

socialize, socialize, socialize is all you hear. yet, everyone seems to think i should stop taking him to day care.

and Raven I do have a dog walker come 3/5 days of the week (can only afford 3). he love the walks and walker.

i also find it interested that there seems to be no correlation with how he acts with dogs on lead vs. off. he's like a totally different dog...
To me Socialize means to introduce them to as many people as possible so that they have a smaller chance of being fearful or aggressive towards people when they are adults. I also believe it means to socialize them with other dogs so that they have a lesser chance of being fearful or aggressive towards other dogs. But I socialized Sinister with alot of the same people and alot of the same dogs, his best dog friends are the dogs he grew up with as a puppy. His favorite people are people that he sees all the time.

You are not there with Cody introducing him to one dog, he is there without you and he is with several dogs.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
thanks Raven,

Many shy/fearful dogs will end up with this behavior if not corrected. I know many don't promote corrections with leash aggression or fear aggression, but I personally DO and have never had a problem with my dogs or any fosters that behaved this way. they got corrected, they stopped the behavior and NO they did not become "quiet aggressors."

Anyway - the point is, the reason he's behaving this way on leash is because he's restrained. He feels he can't get away, so he has to "get them before they get him." Off leash he's not restrained - he can get away if he is uncomfortable.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
gsd raven... he does pretty willingly go into his crate when i have to go to work.

BUT he does destroy things. that why he's still crated. and he DOES as you mentioned try to get to me if im still in sight. but the handlers say he is very cooperative with them all day.

Rerun, thanks for chiming in. my kids/school anaology wasn't totally accurate but, i guess my point was IF this will help him with other dogs then he should be going whether he has fun there or not. if he's not having fun AND it's not helping then whats the point right? lol

well, it does sound like everyone thinks i should bail on daycare...
Cody and Sinister are alot alike, Sin destroys the house when I am gone and that is why he is crated and he also tries to get to me when someone else has him. They both have some SA.

I think you should hire a dog walker for every couple of days but make sure it is the same person every time so that Cody can bond and be comfortable with that person.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I've always observed the gsd's in doggie day care tend to stay to themselves. They certainly aren't like the labs out playing with everyone. I don't think they enjoy it as they would much rather be with their person.

How old is Cody? If I recall he is young so the 'aggression' on the lead is probably fear aggression. I would practice with other dog owners, walking your dogs separately across the street from each other. Start out of site walking towards each other (staying on separate sides of the street) and when Cody starts to bark at the other dog, turn and go the other direction. Keep repeating and he should start to realize if he doesn't bark he gets to get closer. I would treat anytime he doesn't act agressive. Hope that made sense!

·
5,627 Posts
Destroy how though? Trying to break out of the crate? Digging the floor up? Tearing at the door/walls/window? Or chewing on inappropriate things like the remote or a shoe?

Raven chewed many inappropriate things like remotes, shoes, glasses, ottoman or treats on the counter when I tried leaving her out too soon. Separation anxiety is more than just destroying things.. it's a state of mind which I can best equate to panic.

Do Sin and Cody calm down when you are out of sight or are they panicked? Of course, I am not a behaviorist and haven't met your dogs so no, I can't diagnose them but I'm not hearing things that jump out at me as SA.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
to repeat lol.. I DO HAVE A DOG WALKER 3 days a week :)

Rerun, i definitetly started postive and after that got me nowhere after weeks of trying i decided the next time he barked/lunged i would pop his collar....still nothing.

i just ordered the "control unleashed" book on amazon, but am fearful it won't provide many new ideas... time will tell. $25 in case anyone is wondering...

oh...I should add I walk Cody and Mandi together. Mandi typically is VERY aloof with other dogs or very friendly. I've only seen her get aggressive a couple times over a couple years.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alpha mom, thanks for the input. he will be 1 year old on the 15th!!! thats what ive been trying.... passing dogs at a distance. no aggression = treat. aggression = collar pop. I can start to walk the other way and see if that matters.

GSD Raven, we tried to leave him out while at work starting at 8 months. Good bye couch / rugs / curtains. So then we crated him. if there is anything (shoelace, coat) anything at all that he can reach, it will be destroyed. i figured it was just boredom lol

1 - 20 of 74 Posts