German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering using a showline stud, either German or American lines, to improve some conformation flaws, however I seem to be having difficulty finding ones that appeal to me since I tend to prefer working lines. Anybody have any suggestions, nice males that they know of? This won't be happening for a while, so I will be spending a lot of time researching peds, seeing in person, etc. but I need to get started in my research.

Some criteria I'm looking for, strong masculine head, good forehand and reach, correct rear, good health, temperament and drives, hips/elbows. I know you can't have it all, but these are my list toppers that I can think of now.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,219 Posts
Many breeders will not "cross over" - I know some excellent dogs whose owners will not breed even a well bred OFA cert German showline female if she is not titled under the SV system...

Umzilla on this board has a male who seems very versatile, titled, and has been bred to an untitled working line female, and is in IL - so I would recommend contacting her for assistance and to see her male.

Lee

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Take a look at ObiWan From TheisHof. Obi has an OUTSTANDING stable temperament, good working ability, very very nice looking. He has a bit of a short croup, but his other attributes are worth it! I spent some time with Obi in 2007 and was very impressed with him, and I am not easily impressed when it comes to show lines.

I second Geronimo!! He is a good strong dog, who produces the same.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally Posted By: LiesjeWhat specifically are you trying to improve?
I am trying to improve the front overall, and get a little more reach to the gait. But I don't want to lose things like a strong head, as a lot of showlines I've seen have snipey heads, both German (females mostly) and American.

I also like umzilla's boy Fritz, he is on my potential list. Haven't been able to get out to meet him in person yet though.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Off topic, are you coming to the Premier next month?

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
I sent you an email.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I love the sire of my dog, he is Can show lines but has super temperment and I can attest to the strong temperment of his offspring. I have 1, my daughter has 1 and several others I have met. Super strong heads, most show line people don't like my dog's head, too large and heavy, but i love it, Great confidence, no fear of guns, people, places or things. Herding instinct passed, with strong comments and I have been told by several Schutzhund trainers mine could get at least a 1, maybe not quite drivey enough for more, but bold and brave enough. He is 13 months. Anyway check out
http://www.hellwiggshepherds.com/
Sire is Kai, my dog is Ty, and my daughter's is Sin. It is Kai I am recommending, at least check him out.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everybody, these are all great suggestions for me to look into! I knew that there were more nice dogs out there, I was just having a hard time finding them.
Originally Posted By: LiesjeOff topic, are you coming to the Premier next month?
Nope, can't make it this year. I just starting doing UKC stuff this year, so now that I know more about it, I can plan ahead for next year! May have to hire a handler too now that I have two dogs that I am showing. Sadly you can't handle two at the same time, and getting a win just isn't as special for me if I'm not handling my own dog.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Take this with a grain of salt b/c I know very little about conformation and breeding, but I was messing around last night and found a kennel that appears to have German show lines but they look angled more like American lines and don't have the roach. It looks like they show their dogs in the AKC ring and some are SG or V rated and CH or Ch-pointed.

I don't know anything about the kennel or the people, just was looking at it and was interesting that their dogs look successful in both rings (so they'd probably do great in UKC).

http://www.estahaus.com/

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I looked at Estahaus seriously, and inquired about his dogs, but he never answered the questions I ACTUALLY asked....and his response to my inquiring about health concerns turned me off.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I would like to add that the overall tone from OTHERS about Estahaus is pretty neutral. "You get what you get"....I really haven't found people in recent years that have any of his dogs....if I knew of any I would have asked them some questions and may have proceeded then.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Indeed...it's always a good idea to 'look ahead' IMO. Better than doing it later and feeling "rushed"

1 - 20 of 28 Posts