German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally our schedule and the weather cooperated and we were able to do our first “test” hike (bringing out 19 month old GSD backpacking).

Over the past couple months we have been upping her mileage and increasing her pack weight, she was ready. She carried 1.5 Liters of water, 3 cups of kibble, her bowl, poop bags, mushers secret, dog first aid and a bag of treats. The 1.5 Liters of water was just for ‘at camp’, while hiking she drank from my water bladder.

This was a mostly high desert section of the Pacific Crest Trail, 75 deg, clear and breezy. She started off like a rocket, racing up to the front (my 15 yo teenage son hikes fast) than racing back to me and my 13 yo son, than back up front again. Lots of cactus that she was completely oblivious to, thought for sure she was going to need me to pull needles from her body, but somehow she got lucky…

After the first mile she was tired, hot and thirsty. We took a quick water break and continued on. She’s getting smarter, now she runs to the front, finds a shady spot to lay down and waits for me to catch up, than runs back to the front.

After a couple more miles she has perfected her technique, trot to the front, find a shady spot with a view, when she can SEE me she trots back to the front.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
We make it to camp and she rolls into a (now dry) creek and crashes for a bit. Thought she was done for the day, but after a quick nap she was 110% charged and ready for more…

This is about the time we had our only “training” problem. We had not seen a sole person the entire day and no other campers were within sight, I was getting ready to cook and she spotted someone a few hundred yards away walking towards us. She took off full speed with the “hounds of ****” bark. The guy stopped walking and held his ground, she completely ignored my recall but stopped about 30’ from him and kept barking. I yelled to him that she is friendly and he yelled back “no problem, I have several dogs at home”. At this point she walked up to him, sniffed him, THAN decided to listen to the recall and came back to me. I was pretty unhappy with her, but he actually complimented me on her recall and said he wished his dogs were that good… OK, still have recall work to do.

Time for bed, three man ultralight tent, with three men and a 65 lb shepherd. She was not happy about the prospects of sleeping in the tent, I could tell she was stressed. She walked up to our faces, stepped on our faces, sat on our faces than started the vomit motion over my youngest son. We actually could not stop laughing, mostly at our foolish idea that this would be easy. She decided not to throw up on him and stared out the window for several hours until the moon went over the mountain. She barked at it, attempted a howl, than fell asleep.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The next day went great, lots of people on this section of the trail (mostly day hikers). She would trot right past all the strangers and if they put their hand down to great her she would nose bump their hand and keep moving. She was having a great time, tail wagging all day as she trotted along.

Made it back to our car, big bowl of water, than slept the entire drive home. Pretty good first trip!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
What an amazing adventure!! That one rock looks like a big eagle with its wings stretched out to me lol. I'm jealous, where are you hiking that there are no leash laws!? Show girl looks like she is having the time of her life :thumbup:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What an amazing adventure!! That one rock looks like a big eagle with its wings stretched out to me lol. I'm jealous, where are you hiking that there are no leash laws!? Show girl looks like she is having the time of her life :thumbup:
Yep, that is called Eagle Rock near Warner Springs, CA

In general dogs are allowed on 99% of the Pacific Crest Trail, from Mexico to Canada. It's basically a 2000 mile long 4' wide easement through National Wilderness, BLM, State Parks, private land etc. There are sections in Yosemite and along the John Muir trail that do not allow dogs. Dogs must be leashed or under verbal control. Horses and pack animals are allowed, but no bikes or motorized vehicles.

Every year people hike the entire 2000 miles (Mexico to Canada) with their dog. It's generally frowned upon and not something I would want to put my dog through...

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Thank you for the pictures. I've always wanted to ride the Pacific Crest Trail from Canada to Mexico.

On horseback it has to be carefully planned for the seasons because of the high mountain blizzards and snow. I have a pack animal. It is this creature. He can carry 70 lbs

Just wondering, has Showgirl ever met any equestrians? If so, how did she react?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gorgeous photos! That rock photo reminded me of a headless elephant to! Laughing At tent time lol!!!! Sounds like great memories!!!!
I'm squinting my eyes and looking sideways, haven't found the headless elephant yet! :grin2:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the pictures. I've always wanted to ride the Pacific Crest Trail from Canada to Mexico.

On horseback it has to be carefully planned for the seasons because of the high mountain blizzards and snow. I have a pack animal. It is this creature. He can carry 70 lbs

Just wondering, has Showgirl ever met any equestrians? If so, how did she react?
Beautiful horse! I have come across several people on horseback on the PCT, all of them were just doing sections or day rides. The logistics of hiking that far are quite difficult, planning around heat of the desert sections, snow depth and storms in the Sierras, rain and snow up north, food re-supplies. Add in animals to care for and it would certainly be an adventure! Having a pack animal carry 70 lbs... That would be nice!

We live in a horse community and pass horses on the trail almost daily. Our dog is always on a leash at our home trail and as long as we keep walking she ignores the horses. If we stop and watch the horses she sometimes gets antsy and will bark. I always great the riders and chat as we walk by, seems to keep the horses mellow.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Yes it is not easy to ride straight through. The resupplying, working around the highway crossings and mountain passes, ice on one end and the heat on the other. When I was a little girl I had a dream to ride across the United states from the Atlantic to the Pacific. Then I found out such a trail actually exists, but not east to west, it is north to south. Arabians are the breed for this, they are distance horses. I do not know how I could fit my GSD Inga into this. It would be an extra worry and complication.

Once I walked on the Appalachian Trail. As soon as I stepped onto it I could feel the distance stretching out in both directions. It was like magic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts