German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading about how much everyone on here loves their flirt poles, I had to try 'em out.
I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money on one though, so my husband made ours.
Its not the prettiest looking one out there, but its awesome.
After only one day, I love it :)

I'm interested in seeing what others' look like too.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
474 Posts
After reading about how much everyone on here loves their flirt poles, I had to try 'em out.
I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money on one though, so my husband made ours.
Its not the prettiest looking one out there, but its awesome.
After only one day, I love it :)

I'm interested in seeing what others' look like too.

May I ask how your husband made yours?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I don't have a picture of it but our current one is the kong brand pole. Pretty freaking sturdy!!! But we're also still building interest in it so who knows how long it'll last.... He's getting bigger right in front of my eyes.

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
This is mine(buggy whip from Tractor Supply)....it has a foxtail on the end, found at the UKC Premier lure coursing venue. I use it now and then on the end of the track/ reward.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
I bought a lunge whip at the local tack store for 10 bucks and tied a leather tug to the end. It's great!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love them all :) I'm sure once our puppy gets bigger I will need to get a bigger pole too.
But it's made out of pvc pipe and rope.
We got some colored duct tape to wrap around the pipe..and tied knots at each end to keep the rope from moving.
Then tied one of his favorite stuffed animals on the end.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Flirt pole and tired puppy! Composed from an old broom stick, closed eye bolt, bungee cord, and an old toy.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Against the advice of someone from here I used/use a PVC pipe with a hole drilled through it and nylon rope. I can change the length of the rope easily so that if we are in a smaller area we can still use it. I use it EVERY day... He gets out of his kennel and looks for it, drags it around pole dragging behind him, OBSESSED! It is the best tool I have for OB. It out weighs any treat I could give him. It has helped him master his sit, come, down, release command. Best best thing ever

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Ok. I give up. I have to admit I have no idea what a flirt pole is. Looking at the pics, I gather the idea is to have the dog chase the toy at the end of the rope. I assume the pole portion is just to give a larger circle circumference? How do you work it? If I had to guess, you run around twirling this over your head or something.

I feel so stupid:confused:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Diesel and Lace,

Thank you so much! It was really fun to watch and I can see that a flirt pole is now on my shopping list. I'm sure Traveler will be sending you a thank you to!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Diesel and Lace,

Thank you so much! It was really fun to watch and I can see that a flirt pole is now on my shopping list. I'm sure Traveler will be sending you a thank you to!
It really is the best investment I have ever made... All $11 of it! At the end of the day I can walk until my legs fall off and he still has plenty of energy to spare 15 minutes with the flirt pole and he is pooped! Only downfall is the bruises on the backs of my legs from Diesel cutting the corner and running into me :eek:

·
Registered
525 Posts
I went and got a buggy whip and cheap toy and made one today, just to see if he would actually be into it. BEST TOY EVER!!! He is now laying quietly on the floor not carrying about anything or anyone. I never thought he would be this relaxed in the house.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Vickip9, my first one was just a jump rope from Walgreens with a toy tied to the end. It was fine for a puppy and required very little craftiness on my part! ;) Now we have the buggy whip with a toy tied on- it's really simple to do, I actually use old t-shirts a lot of the time.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts