German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally gotten to the point where Bear will not eat his bed. He has a simple pad that he used for his crate, but I want to get him something that was a little nicer that he will sleep on.

I wanted to get some ideas, so show me your dog's bed :)

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Kuranda.
Hans uses his a lot, and we have both the PVC and aluminum versions.
The latter gets a lot less damaged from chewing.
Warning, though: they are absolutely killer to put together!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sunflowers, I have actually thought about the Kuranda one. I love that Han's has his name on it!

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Sunflowers, I have actually thought about the Kuranda one. I love that Han's has his name on it!
Yeah, what can I say, totally unnecessary but fun for me to look at!:crazy:

I forgot to say it washes beautifully with your cleaner of choice and a hose.
For day to day disinfecting and hair removal, I use a paper towel moistened with a little regular Vetericyn.
Oh, and the one you're looking at is the Great Dane size.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, what can I say, totally unnecessary but fun for me to look at!:crazy:

I forgot to say it washes beautifully with your cleaner of choice and a hose.
For day to day disinfecting and hair removal, I use a paper towel moistened with a little regular Vetericyn.
Oh, and the one you're looking at is the Great Dane size.
Thanks! I'll be sure to have it shipped to your house for assembly :wild:

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I've finally gotten to the point where Bear will not eat his bed. He has a simple pad that he used for his crate, but I want to get him something that was a little nicer that he will sleep on.

I wanted to get some ideas, so show me your dog's bed :)

I've gotten nice beds for the dogs. They had a sale at burlington a few weeks ago and I got these two...

Buddy prefers

The real bed when my kid is home from college... The rest of the time he either sleeps on her bean bag chair or on an old body pillow covered with a comforter that is on the floor by the foot of my bed. Ivan ignores all beds in favor of a spot in front of pellet stove. Tasha also likes an old pillow covered with a fleece blanket and wiggles sleeps in her kennel still which is a jumbo sized plastic airline crate with an old bathroom rug. They sometimes take naps on the dog beds but none of them seem really thrilled.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Effie has a sheepskin type mat in her crate and one in her outside doghouse. She has a big puffy bed by the back door. She likes to nap on the couch. But her favorite bed is an old cot that we set up by the woodstove in the kitchen way back during Christmas when we both had the flu and needed a warm place to nap. She says we need to leave it there until spring finally arrives. She is snuggling with her best friend Mr. Princess.

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts

That's Fleury's bed. It's an old feather bed we had laying around that I tore apart to make smaller and then double stuffed with the extra feathers. The cover is removable with a zipper hidden in the cording for easy washing. Are you the DIY sort? I wanted to get him a nice bed, but they all seemed so pricey, so I made this one which cost almost nothing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Doggie comfort

I bought the cot bed for them, but no one liked it, until I put the comfy mattress on top. The one to the left, is a doggie chair I picked up at Marhall's. Even our 100-lb boy gets in there. They seem to like the surrounding taller back and sides, and they look so cute draping their heads over the sides :) The most long-lasting one we have had, is the donut bed, which was made in Canada. It was about $150, and is close to 10-years-old now. It has been through the wash many times, and has only one tear, from when our boy got excited one day and started shaking it around like it was a toy :)

Then, there is always the old stand-by, the human couch ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

That's Fleury's bed. It's an old feather bed we had laying around that I tore apart to make smaller and then double stuffed with the extra feathers. The cover is removable with a zipper hidden in the cording for easy washing. Are you the DIY sort? I wanted to get him a nice bed, but they all seemed so pricey, so I made this one which cost almost nothing.
Oh my gosh, what a beautiful bed! That looks nicer than most dog beds you would buy at a store.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I bought Gunther a Kong bed with a removable cover but he ended up tearing it up -.-'...he loves to dig at it and then thrash it like a stuffed toy...no more beds for Gunther all he gets is cheap blankets that he shreds.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Where the Countess lounges by day and gets her beauty rest during the overnight hours...

Actually, it's a bit more conservative than the above...

She doesn't do much sleeping on this. She will take an occasional nap, but she mostly likes to lay on it and chew.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hahaha MichaelE, somehow I didn't picture that bed as the bed Lisl would be sleeping on :spittingcoffee:

·
Registered
324 Posts
This is Charlies bed. I find him upside down snoring quiet frequently, lol.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I'd post a pic, but I haven't changed my sheets this week and they're covered in dog hair. :D

My bed seems to work just fine for everybody. I put a water resistant burlap-ish tarp on top so muddy feet aren't an issue, but inevitably somebody makes a 'snuggle spot' and moves it all around by the time I get home. I haven't found anything except the Costco egg-crate foam beds that stand up to the shenanigans of my lot otherwise.
In crates, they get piles of fleece blankets. Cheap to replace if someone gets bored and chewy and easy to launder, unlike taking the slipcovers off crate mats. I use off-cuts of industrial belting as padding for the base of the crate because it's indestructible and very easy to clean; a huge bonus with a girl in heat.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts