German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stuff doesn't fit in the pockets anymore, need suggestions of easier way of doing this... without actually taking a purse

and of course #1 defense system :)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
get a doggie backpack and let him carry stuff, but I dont know why you feel the need to bring a (what looks like) a 6" knife, I would safely say that if your dog doesnt ward off someone or something that may hurt you guys the mace sure would.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In case mace doesnt work. The knife just clips on the pocket so its no big deal to carry it

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Have you thought about a self defence course? I live in an area that is about a 60 minute walk from 'the badlands' so while my area is considered a good area to live...things do happen. I wouldn't carry a knife because it is far too easy for someone to take it from me and use it against me...but that is just me.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My husband taught me a few self defense moves but I do want to get into a class it's one of my long to do list :)

I live in a bad neighborhood there are freaks everywhere and I believe that taking weapons is being more cautious, of course every attacker wishes that women be weapon free, that would be ideal for them. You have no idea how many stories I heard how a knife saved a life... Not from women though because they are too afraid of weapons

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
230 Posts
I don't think the knife is a bad thing to have... your buddy would at the very least buy you enough time to use it.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Poo bags

This leash cause I loop it like the photo and it leaves my hands free when the dogs are off leash. At the same time this single leash can hold 2 dogs.

A hat (maybe). My keys (hopefully not locked in the car :) ) .

E-collar remotes (clipped on to the leash).

I tend to hike/walk near creeks and streams so don't take water.

During hunting season I put orange safety hunting vests on my dogs while they are running....

As far as safety and security goes........... me out on a trail with 2 GSD's has been more than enough security for the past 12 years. :)

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Poo bags, a small squeaky toy, cellphone, keys, and sometimes treats

·
Registered
3,155 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just happened upon this company recently and I'm planning on purchasing something like this.. might suit your needs.

Ruffwear Dog Packs

Eventually I'll want to run with my pup.. they have a back pack that holds two water bottles (one for you, one for your buddy) and other personal items like your phone. That's pretty much all I'll be taking with me.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I had Bianca carry most of that stuff on walks in a small/light backpack. Except my pocket knife and mace which goes in my pockets.

·
Super Moderator
32,425 Posts
I have Ruffwear packs for the dogs, Halo's is an Approach, Keefer's is a Palisades. I only use them on longer hikes though, where we need a lot of water - I use a 1 liter Platypus bottle in each side. Otherwise I have a fanny pack with two water bottles, like this one (same brand, but I'm not sure if this is the exact model as mine): Mountainsmith Buzz TLS

The pack is very small, just big enough for a collapsible water dish, my keys, and a few small items. I usually toss my cell phone into my treat bag, so it's readily accessible, because I use a program to track our distance. If it's really hot I'll wear the fanny pack rather than put a pack on the dog, especially Keefer, who doesn't do as well in hot weather as is also older.

For a quick after work hike (3-4 miles) I usually just put my keys and license in my pockets and don't even bother with water unless it's hot.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Keys, long line, poo bags, treats, tuggy, ball, foldable bowl, water, ya'll making me wonder if I should carry mace though :crazy:

·
Registered
10,595 Posts
In the summer I wear a cargo vest or a waist pack and for the winter/rain season I designed and sewed a coat with similar pockets.
Thank goodness we don't need weapons here on the trails. WD is enough to make me feel safe.

·
Registered
883 Posts
On normal walks... just Zoey and I and of course the leash lol
On hikes.... Backpack with my DSLR camera, 2 water bottles, a couple of yummy treats, 30 foot leash and towel if we want to take a swim, poop bags.. anddd uhmmmm i think thats it.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
check out L.L.Bean, Campmor, Sierratradingpost.com for
back packs, waist packs and cargo pants.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I carry a cell phone, house keys....and of course the collar and lead.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts