German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm told Shasta doesn't have good reach when she extends her front legs while running. So, show me a GSD with good reach. I'm a mostly visual based learner so show me some examples. Here's the best picture I have right now of Shasta's reach....

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I can understand why someone would say that.

Here's a video I made of Kira about 8 months ago..

IMO, she doesn't have good reach, but she is fast, and very agile.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Try putting Shasta on a leash and run her around the yard with someone else taking pictures. (pretend you're in the show ring :)) She looks like she's jumping in those pictures.

Here's Annie and Piper. I like what I'm seeing in Piper, she was 4 mths old in this picture.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
not the best picture but that is of Diesel. She had a great reach

Attachments

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try putting Shasta on a leash and run her around the yard with someone else taking pictures. (pretend you're in the show ring :)) She looks like she's jumping in those pictures.

Here's Annie and Piper. I like what I'm seeing in Piper, she was 4 mths old in this picture.

That should be fun to convince the husband to do.... I'm the animal person. He loves them but I handle everything with them. Shasta's reach is nothing like your pups in that picture. I think I have an older video of her moving at the dog park.

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
This is Ch. Tag, off leash, doing a retrieve.

·
Super Moderator
6,133 Posts
Here is Carly. She has good reach. She is coming to a halt in this photo, but you can still see it.

They need to move from the shoulder and not the elbow.

Here is Birdie, Russell's litter sister, at 6 weeks old. You can see that she has good reach (and continues to have good reach at 13 weeks).

Birdie by KarmicWhimsy, on Flickr

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is Carly. She has good reach. She is coming to a halt in this photo, but you can still see it.

They need to move from the shoulder and not the elbow.

Here is Birdie, Russell's litter sister, at 6 weeks old. You can see that she has good reach (and continues to have good reach at 13 weeks).

Birdie by KarmicWhimsy, on Flickr

This helped a lot. Thank you! I've had a couple people try to explain it to me but it didn't click really so the simple easy explanation with the pictures helps massively.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts