German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
be teaching my 8-week puppy some bite inhibition?? They play SUPER rough and I know those razor-sharp puppy teeth are hurting my girl's face when Ty bites her! She is almost 4 now, and seems to not care and think they're playing a fun game. Not sure what to do... I was hoping having the other dog would help some with this! :help:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Sounds like good ole Land Shark interaction to me ... sooner or later your lady dog will put Ty in his place ! ;)

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Not always. I have had numerous older dogs that will let a puppy get away with MURDER. It was like in their eyes the pup could "do no wrong". They didn't start trying to teach the pup any manners until it hit about 6 months.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Yeah, there's a thing called "puppy license" where the adults let the little guys get away with just about anything while they're still little babies. Then once they get a little older they enforce the pack rules more strictly. Make sure your older dog has a place where she can get away from the pup when she's tired of playing.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i think our Grey Hound was 8 or 9 yrs. when the
puppy came home at 9 weeks old. our Grey Hound set the rules
from day one. they worked things out quickly along with
help from us. when our Grey Hound went blind our Shep
would take her leash in his mouth and walk her.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I thought the same thing while I watched my poor older dog get eaten by my little puppy. I think he was unsure if he was allowed to discipline her. He started disciplining her when she was about 5 months old. She had him by the face and was trying to pull it off lol (that’s what it seemed like) I think he lost his cool and snapped forgetting he may get in trouble. He bit her, threw her to the ground, wrapped his teeth around her muzzle and wouldn’t let her up until she calmed down. When he realized he didn’t get in trouble he started disciplining her on a regular basis. I believe it caused them to become closer since she now knows his rules and plays by them causing him to want to actually play with her instead of running away.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh goodness... If she lets the baby get away with this til he's 5 months old, they will be the same size! My girl is a mixed breed, only about 55 pounds.. The baby thinks toes are the greatest chew toy on the planet and we have to walk around the house in shoes all the time right now. He's been home less than a week though so we're working on it :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
LOL that may not be a problem. My older is a mix breed as well and only weighs 45 lbs. My girl now has 10 lbs on him but he is so much quicker than her she can’t even glance at where he is coming from before he has her down. It’s never viscous or anything, he just holds her down until she knows she is being annoying and calms down. He is just a little guy but he puts her in her place.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Mine was "corrected" when he got to daycare as there were dogs of different levels of patience with his landshark ability. Apparently he was corrected the very first day once and they said after that his demeanor and bite level changed, which we also saw to be true. At the same time he does not correct others who are now younger than him and they hang off him like ticks. Sooner or later yours will find a playmate that will correct them or the older one will reach a limit :)

·
Registered
972 Posts
same with my lab and gsd, my lab has like the highest pain threshold. so they play really rough, and my gsd is a complete baby!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts