German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about the price of showline puppies and working line puppies, and showline puppies normally cost more than working lines, correct? Shouldn't it be the other way around? From my very unprofessional prospective, it seems like more work goes into the working lines, as far as training, trials, etc. and then the showlines just have to win their shows. I know that a lot of showlines win trials, I'm not saying that they don't, but it seems like it's backwards. Shouldn't the working lines cost more than the showlines? Is that just based off of what people are willing to pay?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
No way it just totally follows society- we pay way more for the things that make us look good, and studies show attractive people earn more than those deemed unattractive regardless of work ethic;) Who wants a hard working dog when you can have an angulated pretty GSD?:D

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Well, I for one am quite glad that working lines are "cheaper" - LOL.

But in the SV system, even show lines have to get their work ratings, so not only do they have to compete in a lot of conformation shows, but also in Schutzhund trials - so the training and trialing costs are there. (Assuming we are talking about ethical breeders who care about working their dogs).

I think the real reason show lines cost more, is that more people are attracted to them as a prestige factor, and prestige always sells for more.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Hey! I'm looking for a working line puppy...and I can't seem to find any 'cheap' ones!

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I was thinking about the price of showline puppies and working line puppies, and showline puppies normally cost more than working lines, correct? Shouldn't it be the other way around? From my very unprofessional prospective, it seems like more work goes into the working lines, as far as training, trials, etc. and then the showlines just have to win their shows. I know that a lot of showlines win trials, I'm not saying that they don't, but it seems like it's backwards. Shouldn't the working lines cost more than the showlines? Is that just based off of what people are willing to pay?
SSSHHHHHH....don't post this too loud, I like it this way!:D
Hey! I'm looking for a working line puppy...and I can't seem to find any 'cheap' ones!
Really I think the WL's are worth every cent they are priced at. Especially when the breeder is trialing their dogs. It isn't cheap to train/ go to trials or into the showring, and travel expenses have over-doubled in the past few years.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SSSHHHHHH....don't post this too loud, I like it this way!:D

Really I think the WL's are worth every cent they are price at. Especially when the breeder is trialing their dogs. It isn't cheap to go to trials or into the showring, and travel expenses have over-doubled in the past few years.
That's exactly why I'm wondering why they're so 'cheap' so to say. :p

And I think I'd like a WL when the time comes. I still can't decide!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Well, I for one am quite glad that working lines are "cheaper" - LOL.

But in the SV system, even show lines have to get their work ratings, so not only do they have to compete in a lot of conformation shows, but also in Schutzhund trials - so the training and trialing costs are there. (Assuming we are talking about ethical breeders who care about working their dogs).

I think the real reason show lines cost more, is that more people are attracted to them as a prestige factor, and prestige always sells for more.

thats my feelings on it. I prefer the working lines over the showlines.

I love Shelby but theres not a snowballs chance in h**l that i would have paid a standard showline price for her. She wouldnt stand a chance in anything involving work. She doesnt like to train. She doesnt like to listen. But she's also poor quality as far as shepherds go. I prefer the working lines because i just want a dog who LIKES and is WILLING to work for me with me and in my experience with the showlines i've met, they want to work when it suits them. But again, personal experience. I'm not going to pay $50,000 for a lexus simply because its a lexus. I'd better LOVE that car. I dont LOVE showlines.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i like the working lines. glad they're lower priced. but i guess thats makes sense. The people who work the hardest tend to make the least and the people who do the least, tend to make more. Showlines trot around a ring and cost more and WLs do all kinds of things and cost less. Society.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
i like the working lines. glad they're lower priced. but i guess thats makes sense. The people who work the hardest tend to make the least and the people who do the least, tend to make more. Showlines trot around a ring and cost more and WLs do all kinds of things and cost less. Society.
Wow, low blow to showlines breeders. Have you ever been a breeder of showlines or trained a dog for the ring or competition sports besides SV?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Wow, low blow to showlines breeders. Have you ever been a breeder of showlines or trained a dog for the ring or competition sports besides SV?

i wasnt saying it to offend. I was saying it simply as a comparison. best way i know how to explain it.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I'm glad they are cheaper too, but I get what your saying!

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Wow...hold on.
I breed German Showline dogs, and I can tell you that the costs ($$) to raise, trial & compete with them is quite costly.
Show fees are high, Sieger Show fees are outrageous, traveling (gas/food/lodging) for many shows...and handling fees on top of it.
And we compete in as many shows a year as possible......that can rack up quite a few bucks.
So yes.....Showline GSDs can "cost" more, because you can invest more off the top.
However; we have both...WL & SL...and both will cost us nearly the same, because we will do the same for both.
I will agree that many SL breeders (especially those that make it a business) charge extravagant fees for their puppies......again, you are paying for the "right" to own a puppy with their Kennel name....not because the puppy is of better genetics or quality. (usually)....
But on another note....check out some of the "big business Kennels of WLs"...their puppy prices are right up there at $2500, $3000.
*Not all SL breeders are simply happy with dogs that just LOOK good*
JMO,
Respectfully
Robin

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Wow...hold on.
I breed German Showline dogs, and I can tell you that the costs ($$) to raise, trial & compete with them is quite costly.
Show fees are high, Sieger Show fees are outrageous, traveling (gas/food/lodging) for many shows...and handling fees on top of it.
And we compete in as many shows a year as possible......that can rack up quite a few bucks.
So yes.....Showline GSDs can "cost" more, because you can invest more off the top.
However; we have both...WL & SL...and both will cost us nearly the same, because we will do the same for both.
I will agree that many SL breeders (especially those that make it a business) charge extravagant fees for their puppies......again, you are paying for the "right" to own a puppy with their Kennel name....not because the puppy is of better genetics or quality. (usually)....
But on another note....check out some of the "big business Kennels of WLs"...their puppy prices are right up there at $2500, $3000.
*Not all SL breeders are simply happy with dogs that just LOOK good*
JMO,
Respectfully
Robin

i will rephrase, breeders who charge more for a dog that simply looks good, are the ones i will put in the catagory of doing less and getting more while those who do more get less. I honestly didnt mean to offend. Just telling it like i've seen it. If its a good dog, then i can see reasonably paying $2500 or more for a very well bred dog from health tested and trialed parents who have proven they're worth being acknowledged as a member of the breed. But i still honestly prefer the working lines simply because of my experience with showlines, which is limited to Shelby and 6 other showlines. I also like the heavier look of the working lines.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
KZoppa,
I'm not offended...I simply wanted to "clarify" honest reasons why the SL dogs "in general" can cost more....
I'm with you on the WL dogs...I too love them.;)
I just happen to "enjoy" the Show venues...so we actively compete in them. But I think competing with a WL dog, in a SL venue...and vice versa...beats all!
But I will always say...a good dog is a good dog...no matter WL or SL. I just love the breed period.
Respectfully,
Robin

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
KZoppa,
I'm not offended...I simply wanted to "clarify" honest reasons why the SL dogs "in general" can cost more....
I'm with you on the WL dogs...I too love them.;)
I just happen to "enjoy" the Show venues...so we actively compete in them. But I think competing with a WL dog, in a SL venue...and vice versa...beats all!
But I will always say...a good dog is a good dog...no matter WL or SL. I just love the breed period.
Respectfully,
Robin

maybe i should meet some of your SL dogs. All the ones i've met so far have been severely disappointing and i never thought it was possible to be so disappointed in a GSD. I love Shelby but some days i wonder if someone kicked her in the head when she was a puppy. She has that i love you but i'm not going to do anything unless i'm getting something out of it attitude so training her is a nightmare!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I know virtually nothing about SL breeders so I am genuinly curious.....

When you say you invest more off the top, does that mean the initial higher cost of showline dogs and puppies, means that you then have to charge more for your pups? Because the breeding dogs for SL are more expensive to begin with?

If that is the case, what do think was the ORIGINAL reason behind higher prices for show line dogs? Like, waaaaaayyyy back in the day, when the the SL and the WL were sort of splitting apart.....why would breeders start charging more for their pups than a WL breeder? Supply and demand?

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Cayla,
I'm not completely understanding your question??
So...I'll just give a small example (in regards to one of my dogs).
1st step: Import a puppy from Germany.
initial investment: puppy & shipping $1500-$2000 depending on age & shipping.
2nd step: Train puppy for Schutzhund & Show venue.
investment: $$$
3rd step: Compete in Show venues for first 2yrs.
investment: $$$$$
4th step: Send female dog back to Germany, show in Germany & breed female to stud dog in Germany.
investment: $$$$$$$
5th step: Ship female back from Germany...hopefully pregnant.
investment: $$$
6th step: Whelp litter & initial puppy costs.
investment: $$$$$
7th step: Continue to compete in venues.
investment: $$$$
It can cost a small fortune to get from 1st step to 6th step..
Here's a different example of initial costs.
*My female Chulla....(bought mother for $5000 with ScH1, kkl1. Invested $$ to show in Germany and title on to ScH3. Brought back to US...competed with her for another year...made VA.) Sent back to Germany, then bred to stud.
Whelped litter....Chulla born.
Train, show and title Chulla...send her to Germany, compete in show in Germany, breed her in Germany, ship back to USA.
Costs: over $6500.
*No puppies...Chulla dies 2 mos later.*
Maybe that's too much info to actually understand..?!
I don't know what the differences in prices were back in the days of the split....I can only explain why the SL dogs can initially cost more today....

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
Why do professional ball players make so much money -- not the guys warming the bench for 1-200,000. But the ones that are making millions, pitchers, homerun hitters, quarterbacks etc?

The reason is there are only so many people in the world that can do what they do.

Maybe the analogy is not 100%.

For German Showlines, the dogs not only have to compete in the Sieger show against a class containing hundreds of dogs, they also have to be titled, and pass a breed survey, and and endurance test, and have hips, elbows and dna done, and pass the protection phase at that show, and produce a progeny group that proves that they reproduce themselves.

After all that, you are still subjecting your dog to hours and hours of sorting, gaiting around the ring, standing for examinations, etc. And after all that it will still come down to someone's interpretation of the standard as to which dog most closely fits.

If you work hard enough, you should be able to get a degree and land a job as an accountant.

No matter how hard you work, if you do not have the right body, strength, sex, and talant, you will not be a professional ball player making millions.

If someone works hard enough with a dog, they should be able to get that dog titled or train that dog for some type of work.

But no amount of working with a dog will make the judges put the dog up if it does not have it naturally.

At the same time, you have to TRAIN a dog for the ring.

I have taken conformation classes and I have titled a dog in obedience. Obedience legs are WAY easier than the conformation training in my opinion. All you from the outside see is the dog running around the ring. But there is a lot more too it than that, and some things you just cannot train, like attitude.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts