German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just wondering this....sometimes she isn't excited or anything but I still bring her out.

I read that an excited puppy isn't necessarily a happy puppy, when I do bring her out she is usually really excited when she gets back and takes a while for her to calm down.

Thanks.

·
Registered
334 Posts
How ok is your puppy? Puppies who are quite young shouldn't really be goog for walks yet until all thier shots are done however a dog shouldn't have to tell you when they need a walk but sometimes they will its best to have a food routine with the dog so they know when to expect it

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
It depends on the dogs age and their ability to indicate. I usually take them out on schedule during potty training and as they get older. We have a schedule and we stick by it(6am, 1 pm, 6pm, and between 10-11pm), if they have to go out in between or they aren't feeling well I do let them out when they ask.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Do you mean for a walk, or out to potty?

It also depends on age for the potty thing. I let my dogs go whenever they need to, regardless. When you gotta go, you gotta go.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i got my pup when he was 9 weeks old. the first week home
he was out every 15 minutes. every 15 minutes became every
1/2 hour, every 1/2 hour became every 45 minutes and so on.
my dog is 5.5 yrs old and he's out a lot. today he was out at
5:00 am, 8:00 am, 11:00 am, 2:00 pm, 4:00 pm and 6:00pm.
everytime one of us went outside he went with us. he'll be out again
8:00 pm and again before i go to bed around 11:00 pm or midnight.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Lisl and I go out about every three or three and a half hours. A little more often closer to bedtime, but nothing at all like a few months ago.

That was the every 20 and 30 minute phase of potty training.

She's proven herself in the house alone three times now in the past week at 6+ months (except for being sick one time this week. What a mess.).

These dogs are so easy to potty train it's unbelievable that there is a GSD on the planet that can't accomplish this with a dedicated and consistent owner.

·
Registered
334 Posts
If it is for potty training take the pup out as much as needed plus anytime they indicate needing to go sometimes they will be out for half hour not
Go at all then come back in and pee on the floor it's part of training it will take time but take pup out as muh as possible and give tons of praise

How ok is your puppy? Puppies who are quite young shouldn't really be goog for walks yet until all thier shots are done however a dog shouldn't have to tell you when they need a walk but sometimes they will its best to have a food routine with the dog so they know when to expect it

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
that's what makes all of dog training easy.

Lisl and I go out about every three or three and a half hours. A little more often closer to bedtime, but nothing at all like a few months ago.

That was the every 20 and 30 minute phase of potty training.

She's proven herself in the house alone three times now in the past week at 6+ months (except for being sick one time this week. What a mess.).

These dogs are so easy to potty train it's unbelievable that there is a GSD on the planet that can't accomplish this

>>>> with a dedicated and consistent owner.<<<< [/QUOTE]

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies....though I'm just referring to exercise walks and using up their energy etc. :) :) :)

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Are there any other members of the family? If that is the case... She is back with her pack, that's why she is happy when you bring her back. She might recognise someone else of the family as her pack leader and doesn't want to leave him. That "someone" could be your husband, but also could be your child. It doesn't mean that your puppy loves you less, simply her doggie instinct asks her to follow the leader.
Ignore her unwillingness, she will be keen on going out with you if she knows you are going to play with her. Flash her ball just for a second, tease her with a promise to play.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts