German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

We were planning on breeding my female this weekend but considering the state of our economy, I’m reconsidering.

Does anyone here have any insight for me? Would you go ahead with the breeding or wait?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,505 Posts
The policies at the vet's offices here are pretty crazy right now. You basically leave your dog in a crate in the unattended lobby, exit, they handle your dog for procedures, and they call you in your car to pick up your dog from the other side of the building when they're done. That sort of handling isn't ideal for lots of GSDs even in the best of times.... and if the patient is a stressed pregnant female, it might not go particularly well.

"Non-essential" vet care (ultrasounds, etc) might not be available. Some practices here cut way back, others are still accepting appointments for anything and everything.

Chewy formally announced delays. If you need milk replacer or specific food, it might be harder to come by.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,874 Posts
Shipping pups via airline might concern me, as would having excessive visitors to the home- but I'm careful there anyway due to parvo.

It depends on your situation- where your buyers are located (driving distance?), how you are doing financially and with work schedule (wouldn't do it if I were an ER physician), and how you think the state of the economy could affect people's willingness to buy a pup as GSD pups aren't cheap.

I've had a few people on the waiting list contact me saying now would be a great time to have a puppy (am I sure I didn't breed?). So it really will depend on your situation. If you have a waiting list already, contact those on it and ask- then I'd recommend taking a deposit to limit people backing-out on you. Make sure they are serious. Based on response, that would be how I'd determine whether I'd move ahead with a breeding.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top