German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for all of you. We have two female (sisters) shepherds that are about 5 months old. We are looking at adding a male to the mix(shepherd) from a different breeder. We may breed so we dont want to spay or nueter just yet. Will there be any fighting over him, when they go in heat or is there anything else to worry about?

Thanks
DAn

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Question for all of you. We have two female (sisters) shepherds that are about 5 months old. We are looking at adding a male to the mix(shepherd) from a different breeder. We may breed so we dont want to spay or nueter just yet. Will there be any fighting over him, when they go in heat or is there anything else to worry about?

Thanks
DAn
I would wait a while, enjoy your two girls for now. What do you hope to come of breeding? Can you post the two female's pedigrees? Where did you get them from? If I were you I would wait, find a breeder mentor (a LOT can go wrong before, during, and after whelping, it's way more than just putting two good looking dogs together), maybe join a working dog club, learn a lot about the breed, and see how your girls stand up to the standard. Many people want to breed, do the right thing, and do right by the breed, however they aren't educated enough to know if they are really bringing positives to the breed.

Your girls are still waaay too young to know if they are breed-able, most responsible breeders purchase an older bitch as their foundation bitch, that way they know a little bit more of what they are going to get.

As for having two females and a male, other's around here have multiple dogs, I don't know how many of them got them all at once though...too much crazy puppy for most, lol. But, honestly, I would wait until your two are around 1.5-2 and then decide if you want to get a third. I personally, like to get my dogs one at a time(I won't get one until the other hits maturity), then I can train and bond with them individually and they bond with ME more than each other(some believe when you buy multiple puppies at the same time they bond more to each other than the owner. I tend to agree a bit with that theory.)...but I'm selfish like that lol.

What kind of training are you in now? Obedience? You will def have to keep them separated during cycles, plenty are able to do that around here. BUT I also know a couple who had brother and sister labs, they took them in to get speutered at 8/9 months old and the female was pregnant...they never even knew she was in season...so you need to be educated and know the signs, how to properly keep them apart, etc...

My unsolicited advice after all this rambling....your females are probably adorable, sweet natured, beautiful GSDs, but make sure they meet the standard, have good nerves (this is the absolute MOST important), temperament, etc...And by good nerves I mean, after maturity, they don't spook easily, aren't fearful, aren't skittish, aren't thrown off by new situations, etc..not just "they are super duper smart and love kids." Enjoy them now, get a mentor, and REALLY think about breeding...8-15 puppies, that will probably all go to family members, who will love them, but may prove too much for them at 5-10 months, and what will you do if 1-5+ don't want them anymore? Just something to think about.

Well, I know more will chime in, hope they can give you more experienced advice, but what I wrote is what I've learned from my mentor/training director (I do NOT wish to breed, sounds so overwhelming to me right now), and from the kindness of strangers on this board. Good luck!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I wouldnt add one that soon. The females are a little to young. You want to wait until they are both trained to your liking before you add another.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I would definetely wait a few years, two seniors are hard enough to deal with, let alone three that close in age!

Focus on the two you already have and if you're serious about breeding find a mentor and start learning now. Bloodlines, pedigree matching, health testing, etc take a while to learn and should be taken seriously. Anyone can take two dogs and breed them, true good breeders take months to years of thought and effort into their breeding programs and are rewarded with great puppies that enhance the breed.

If you plan on keeping intact dogs, you'll need alot of management. The male will have to be completely seperated from the females starting at a very young age to avoid "oops" litters while they're in heat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts