German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on teaching dogs to be indifferent to strangers such as not accepting food from strangers?

·
Registered
30,383 Posts
I don't let her take food from strangers unless I tell her it's ok. And I try to not let her take any food off the floor. I'm trying to get her to stop going to people without permission also.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
that it's a good idea becuase there's a lot freaks in the world and you never know, some jerk up the street might throw your dog a poison sandwich becuase he doesn't like the dog woofing at him every time he walks by.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I never taught mine that at all, and it hurts a lot of people's feelings, so I almost feel bad when I tell them they're just wasting their time trying.

Are you wanting to teach this to a puppy? If so, I'd hold off on that kind of training for a while. Right now, everyone should be walking treat vending machines. I have a GSD that never had the proper socialization in her previous home and it's NOT pretty to see what they can turn into as adults---very scary and dangerous.

Many GSDs will naturally become more aloof and standoffish as they get older. My other dog was thoroughly socialized as a puppy, yet acts as if people don't exist. He will accept pets as long as they aren't directed at his head, but won't even sniff an extended hand by passers by.

ETA: one dog is actually polite and she will take the treat in her mouth but spits it out right away!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Originally Posted By: SunCzarinathat it's a good idea becuase there's a lot freaks in the world and you never know, some jerk up the street might throw your dog a poison sandwich becuase he doesn't like the dog woofing at him every time he walks by.
Im always scared of this as I always hear people say it happened to thier dog.
You want people to look at your dog & assume its a big scary animal (that way, they wont bother with it.)

My dog is friendly to a point. He mostly ignores people. (unless they have food
)
But I have been trying to teach him not to take it.
If hes too friendly w someone I say "leave it" & he walks away.
The food issue is something we are still working on.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Originally Posted By: pinkanmlI never taught mine that at all, and it hurts a lot of people's feelings, so I almost feel bad when I tell them they're just wasting their time trying.

Are you wanting to teach this to a puppy? If so, I'd hold off on that kind of training for a while. Right now, everyone should be walking treat vending machines. I have a GSD that never had the proper socialization in her previous home and it's NOT pretty to see what they can turn into as adults---very scary and dangerous.

Many GSDs will naturally become more aloof and standoffish as they get older. My other dog was thoroughly socialized as a puppy, yet acts as if people don't exist. He will accept pets as long as they aren't directed at his head, but won't even sniff an extended hand by passers by.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Indifference and poison proofing are quite different.

If I meet a nice person who wants to pet Riku on a walk, he's more interested in the environment than whoever is petting him. But I think if someone threw a piece of poison meat over the fence and he stumbled upon it, he'd probably eat it. Tuki is about 14 months and still gets excited/waggy tailed if a stranger pets her but she's still puppyish I think.

I am planning to poison proof my dogs somehow. I posted about it in the training section but didn't get any response related to actually teaching a dog not to eat randomly found foods.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Originally Posted By: UcdcrushI am planning to poison proof my dogs somehow. I posted about it in the training section but didn't get any response related to actually teaching a dog not to eat randomly found foods.
I remember reading about this on a working/police/SchH forum and I believe it involves setting the dog up by having someone toss food into the yard and someone in hiding uses an electric collar to shock the dog when it goes to eat it. I'm not sure if that's the proper way, but that's how I vaguely recall it.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
people I know who have taught it use "baited" food that is spiked with hot peppers.

Angel R, the problem with that idea is that, if people view your dog as dangerous, they will just poison it to get it out of the way. esp if they think it's an annoyance.

I've never stopped Rayden from taking food from people. If someone is scared/annoyed enough with your dog, they are going to take the easy route and throw something over the fence. They are very unlikely to try to hand feed it

·
Registered
770 Posts
Originally Posted By: Miraculix...such as not accepting food from strangers?
My dog won't even take food from me with my releasing her to do so. She has been trained to do this with everybody; her vet, day care, etc. Personally I think it's good manners.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Originally Posted By: Dainerrapeople I know who have taught it use "baited" food that is spiked with hot peppers.

Angel R, the problem with that idea is that, if people view your dog as dangerous, they will just poison it to get it out of the way. esp if they think it's an annoyance.

I've never stopped Rayden from taking food from people. If someone is scared/annoyed enough with your dog, they are going to take the easy route and throw something over the fence. They are very unlikely to try to hand feed it
Yes you do have a point!
But I think someone can NEVER fully train a dog to not take food.
If you left the BEST trained dog in a room with food, its only a matter of time......
Our bussiness is next door & Keys is always around strangers who try to feed him stupid things. (candy, chicken wing bones etc)
I sorta have him trained, but I would rather just keep an eye on him. Or put him inside

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
this summer, we were taking the kids to Silver Dollar City. In the rush of 3 screaming teenage girls, I sat Rayden's food on the stove, didn't remember to give it to him though.

However, the kids DID leave a box of doughnuts open and on the table. When we came home, they were still all there.

The method that I have heard (spiking the food) teaches the dog that things laying on the ground are not at all edible. Therefore, things laying on the ground aren't put in the mouth.

The people I know who teach it this way say that they have never had a dog attempt to eat from the ground more than 2x.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Originally Posted By: Angel RBut I think someone can NEVER fully train a dog to not take food. If you left the BEST trained dog in a room with food, its only a matter of time......
I recently found Tetley still waiting for her release ~15min after I'd put her food down. I forgot... oops. I felt terrible! I'd only worked up to 5 minutes before. I have never tried for longer - that is a little mean - however, she did skip snack at once at doggie camp with a new person that didn't know the drill.

I love my dog!

Now eating sticks in the yard is a differnt story; I have not perfected that. She is a dog afterall.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
It would take a lot - raw steak and lots of hunger - for mine to take food from a stranger. Not something I taught, just inherent in their make-up.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Originally Posted By: Angel R
But I think someone can NEVER fully train a dog to not take food.
If you left the BEST trained dog in a room with food, its only a matter of time......
I'd bet Nico would cave....if he was home alone without food for 2 days! If it's not in his bowl, he won't touch it (except cat food which is kept in the cat room). The trash can be full of bones, meat, candy, cat food cans, etc. All of their treats are left out on the counters and he has never touched anything since he was a small puppy.

Nothing will tempt this guy, he's just extremely uninterested in food unless it's training time. Sasha on the other hand...I used to be able to free-feed Nico when he was skinny and leave his bowl on the floor and go out all day and she wouldn't bother it. But over the years she's become an unbelievable pig--it's gradually gotten worse, from Nico's food to the cat food, then to the trash, then the counters. The last straw was when she stole a loaf of bread off the top of the fridge!

We have e-collars but I haven't gotten around to setting her up and peeping thru the windows from outside (not with food on the floor, that's not fair, but human food on counters, the trash, etc.). And yes, I've watched from outside and burst in on her to spook her and it hasn't worked, so the next step is the e-collar. Right now we have gates up and give her the upstairs while Nico gets the kitchen/LR and can have his bowl down to eat as he wants. Works well for everybody, until she manages to find and eat the bag of kitty hairball relief treats (aka laxatives)........

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I've never taught my dogs anything, but they won't take food from strangers and they didn't eat a slice of pizza my husband accidentally left on the coffee table while we were gone for several hours.

I have no idea why they're like that.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Originally Posted By: Jax08spiking the food with what? Something like hot pepper?
usually ground cayenne pepper. fresh, not the dried... wrapped up in the meat.
plus, the people I know usually test later with unspiked meat, just to be sure that the smell isn't what's alerting them to not eat the meat.

ETA: the reason so many people I knew growing up do this is because there was a rash of dog killings. someone was mixing ground glass with raw hamburger and feeding it to the dogs. at the time, we had 5 dogs living outside in a pen. all of them died. another neighbor lost 15!! beagles

·
Registered
346 Posts
Just remember, you never know where life takes you, and there may be times you need to board your dog at a dog care facility, ask neighbors to come give your dog its dinner, hire someone to walk or run your dog, or take it to the shelter if your dog is lost.

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
Originally Posted By: Angel RBut I think someone can NEVER fully train a dog to not take food.
It CAN be done. The guy I used to train with years ago is a big police dog trainer. I once watched him give a demo of a dog that had been trained to not accept food from a stranger.

I don't know how he trained it (and I probably don't want to know) but when the person offered a roast beef sandwich to the dog the dog growled at them. The more the person tried to entice the dog with the food the ANGRIER the dog got.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts