German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive never had to house break a puppy before so I dont know much about it. I bought a book about trianing a German Shepherd and it does talk about house breaking but it doesnt give a schedule or like how often you should go out to go potty, and like at night should I set an alarm and go out to the bathroom? And how often at night should I go out? (I would rather get up in the night to go let him out then have to clean up an accident in the morning) :eek:

·
Registered
874 Posts
I brought Roxy home at 11 weeks old with no beginning potty training. They had the run of a big building built just for the dogs and pups so they basically did their thing where ever and it was all hosed down all the time.

We started as soon as we got home with her...and it consisted of somebody taking her out every 20 minutes if not less than that for the first couple of days ...till she got familiar with the house and yard. She picked allllllllllllllll the way down our big hill to take her poops...this is fine for now...I am hoping when she's older in the winter we won't have to slide down the hill to take them. I don't have a fenced in yard so I won't off leash her to do anything.

we were done training in less than a weeks time. During the night it was every couple of hours..I didn't wait for her to whine..I'm a light sleeper and am 50 with a 50 year old bladder so I go every few hours ..I just would take her out everytime I got up to go. Now at 4 months ...she goes out for the last time at night about about 10:30 and is good till about 6am...she goes out..pees and comes back in and sleeps until 7 when I get up.

It may seem harder on you ..but trust me it's easier to just make a schedule and figure for the next month or so the biggest chunk of your time is going to be taking your dog out to potty :)

·
Banned
377 Posts
How old is your puppy?
We got ours at 11 weeks. We took her out every 2 hours during the day and 4-6 hours at night (she was crated). If she was about to go in the house we IMMEDIATELY said NO and picked her up and raced outside with her then praised when she went. She learned fast and only had one accident of each type. When we got her I was 65 (with a 75 year old bladder) and she got to go out at night. As time went on we stretched the time inside. Naturally, we also took her out at mealtimes. Now she is almost 4 and has never asked to go out because she knows she won't be kept in too long to cause problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts