German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nitro got attacked 11 hours ago by an off leash dog, he's home now after having his wounds cleaned and stitched. I've given him his pain killers, but he has absolutely no appetite for food. He's been put on amoxyclav500 for infection but they always make him feel sick. If I give them to him now, on an empty,stomach, they will make him feel even worse. Is it ok to wait till tomorrow to start on the amoxyclav? Thanks

·
Registered
8,286 Posts
Aww poor guy. That had to really scary. Wishing him a speedy recovery. You can wait and see if he gets an appetite in a little bit. I know goats milk can get the appetite going. Was he given an antibiotic injection?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Poor baby. I don’t have any advice to give, but wishing him a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awww, thank you both. My amazing vet replied to my email after I posted, (9pm Sunday night here), and advised to give him the antibiotics anyway, so I did. He then managed to eat something. I never thought I'd miss him squeaking his favourite toy this evening.

·
Super Moderator
7,938 Posts
So sorry this happened to Nitro!Hopefully he's not too stiff and sore today and recovers quickly.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I would try adding special treats tuna or sardines in water, or make a beef bone broth to add to his food. Poor sweet boy. Hope he's better soon.

Reactions: Barrie

·
Premium Member
WGSL Monty (b.5/21) B&T blanket-back. WGWL Holly (b.2016).
77 Posts
Get well soon Nitro. 😘

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
I'm sorry this happened. He looks like he wants to be babied right now. Poor guy! Another food option to try is scrambling him an egg to eat with the pills. The protein helps, and some of dogs will eat an egg when nothing else is appetizing because it has a strong smell. The other thing that works well for me with anorexic dogs are meat balls -- 90% ground beef, 10% chopped liver with some eggs and rolled oats. Bake it covered, or microwave them one at a time in a covered glass bowl. It's important to serve warm so that the smell of the cooked liver in them wafts up -- most dogs LOVE that smell.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Oh poor love. I hope he heals well and starts eating with a good appetite soon. I'm glad your vet got back to you.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone! My vet is very happy for me to email her, I'm very careful not to abuse the privilege. Early Monday morning here. He's very sore, he ate a scrambled egg, I added a touch of parmesan cheese to the egg, and he's had all his meds for this morning. I'll cook him up some ground beef, chopped liver with some eggs and rolled oats. I'm photographing the wound daily so I can accurately monitor it.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
It looks like his head is shaved along with the other areas. It must have been horrible. I glad he is alright. Sending a lot of healing thoughts.

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
I'm glad you're getting a little food in him to go with the antibiotics. It makes a big difference. Kudos for taking such good care of him!

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
If you’ve got Convenia injections in your country, I highly recommend that for dogs who can’t tolerate oral antibiotics.
Convenia is especially effective for skin infections.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, I'll check. Nitro is back in hospital, the vet somehow had overlooked checking for puncture wounds. :mad: I found some bad puncture wounds this afternoon. Left him there at 9pm, we had a 3 hour wait to see a vet. . There was a very hoarse toy dog continuously barking the 3 hours we waited, a very stressful environment to leave a hurting pet. He may not have much coat left when I get him, I'm glad our winters are warm. :cry: I will pick him up when he's finished, hopefully before 2am.....

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A Covenia 10ml injection here costs $437.90. Plus the vet visit and dispensing fee.....

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
So sorry to read this; that must have been scary for both of you. Glad you caught the puncture wounds that the vet missed (and however did that happen?). Were it me, once things have calmed down, I'd have a little chat with the vet about adjusting the bill. Puncture wounds aren't all that easy to miss if you're actually looking...

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts. Picked Nitro up 3am this morning. The vet who treated him last night also prescribed better pain relief. The repaired and stitched up puncture wound on his chest is not pretty and in scratching range, so I have to supervise that, and get some better sticking wound pads. The nasty wound at the back of his ear is improving. And Nitro is loving the home cooked food, thanks for the recipes, Magwart, they're keepers!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Poor Nitro, he looks so sad. Shouldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Did Nitro fight back? Did you confront the owner? If yes, I would sue and have them pay the vet bills.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts