German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In one of my classes, there's this girl with a CKC Bloodhound. The Bloodhound has had an accidental litter with a bluetick hound. So, we were talking and she said she had planned to find a stud for her female bloodhound. She said she wants to breed because she loves, loves puppies.

I'm making this thread because I was wondering, when do you educate? I mean, there are people out there who would do better by dogs if they knew better. I'm pretty sure if she knew better, she would do better. That if I explained to her how many puppies and dogs die in shelters, the correct breeding practices, and etc that she would do a 180 by dogs.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
its worth a shot. the worst she could say is you're outta your mind. ask if she would be interesting in learning how to do breeding properly and what it entails.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
My co-worker's (not even a year old) AKC lab bitch just whelped a litter of 11 puppies from their AKC Lab (1.5) old male. They are 3 weeks old, he is selling them for $500 each and he already has deposits on 7 of them. He has done nothing with either parent but let them live in the back yard. The entire litter is chocolate - people are buying color.

Sometimes there isn't anything to be said. They aren't going to listen, and as long as people support such breedings you can't even say 'I told you so'.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Too true. I currently work with a woman that "breeds" goldens. I use the term loosely because she doesn't do any titling or health testing on the parents. The are registered though so she thinks that makes it ok. She considers herself a "good" breeder though because she vets her puppies. Meanwhile, she has an intact female cat that has gotten out twice, TWICE now. The last litter of kittens she had, she couldn't find a home for the last one so she was going to drop it off at the shelter. I seriously wanted to punch her. I begged her not to do that but her comment was "I can't keep it and if I wait, it won't find a home because it will be to old. Kittens always get adopted." I refuse to speak to her now. What is really funny, to me at least, is she is super religious and always "God this and God that". I really want to tell her " I am sure your God appreciates you contributing to the senseless deaths of millions of cats and dogs each year. Keep up the good work."

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I dont think it would hurt to try, you wont ever know if you don't. You could always pull up some information, print it out and give it to her to read.

·
Registered
31,835 Posts
It's hard because you do not want to give unsolicited advice -- that is usually not taken well. And, you want to say, what you would do, rather than what she should do -- if it was me, I would... or actually, I am hoping someday that I can...

At the same time, you do not want to sound like you are the authority, and know it all, etc.

How good of a friend are you?

If it was me, and all the stars aligned (had a shelter right near there, that we could get to, etc, etc, etc,) I would say, hey, I know you love dogs, well I am going over to the shelter to walk one of the dogs over there -- I like to do that for exercise, etc. Wanna come with me?

If you could get her there, then a conversation after the fact, you can go in for the kill. I mean, something like, "yeah, people just give them up. I can't believe it either. This guy, his owners were getting a new couch, and they were afraid he would get hairs all over it." I do not know how I could ever let puppies go to people, you would have to be so careful finding homes for them.

And so on.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I like Selzer's suggestion! If you are clever, you can almost make her think it was her idea to not breed her dog. :)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's hard because you do not want to give unsolicited advice -- that is usually not taken well. And, you want to say, what you would do, rather than what she should do -- if it was me, I would... or actually, I am hoping someday that I can...

At the same time, you do not want to sound like you are the authority, and know it all, etc.

How good of a friend are you?

If it was me, and all the stars aligned (had a shelter right near there, that we could get to, etc, etc, etc,) I would say, hey, I know you love dogs, well I am going over to the shelter to walk one of the dogs over there -- I like to do that for exercise, etc. Wanna come with me?

If you could get her there, then a conversation after the fact, you can go in for the kill. I mean, something like, "yeah, people just give them up. I can't believe it either. This guy, his owners were getting a new couch, and they were afraid he would get hairs all over it." I do not know how I could ever let puppies go to people, you would have to be so careful finding homes for them.

And so on.
I think I'm an okay friend. I mean, I think I seem friendly to her because she keeps talking to me about her bloodhound mix puppies.

What I could do is print off some info and talk to her and stuff. I could start off with, "You know, a lot of mixed puppies are put down every year" and just go into it. You know?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Show her something that has to do more with bloodhounds, such as a bloodhound rescue.
YES! Make it as personal as you can.... So she can feel as if those pictures and the inforation about bloodhounds could be her own!

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
I could start off with, "You know, a lot of mixed puppies are put down every year" and just go into it. You know?
I think you are being a great person for being interested, however that approach with all due respect might come off wrong. It could set her on the defensive.
You know what I would do, and I'm sure Sue wouldn't mind is say something like "Did your female have any issues with the whelping? OMG you are so lucky I belong to this web board and one of the ladies on there had an awful experience", then relate Sue's story on her litter that had issues - sorry Sue, can't remember the name of your bitch. Then talk about how many purebreds are in shelters and euthanized on this board and mention that's not even the half because we can only advertise purebreds, so can you imagine how many mixes are killed? Relate it to you first, let her relate and bring the story to her dog. Just a suggestion, take it or leave it :)

·
Registered
31,835 Posts
No problem with using that story, that is what I posted it for.

But you do not want to sound like a broken record or like all the same tired arguments. "Do you know how many mixed-breed dogs are put down in shelters each year?"

What I was saying in my post was that exact question, but it was actually SEEING it with real live dogs, in a real live shelter. I mean, you could tell someone facts and figures and statistics, and it all falls on deaf ears, because everyone will just LOVE their little cute puppies.

Everyone thinks they have lots of friends and family members that will want their little mixes, and with pure-breds it can even be worse, because who wouldn't jump at the chance at a German Shepherd?

Discussing the possible problems with whelping is ok. But you have to read up on them, and have a pretty good idea what all the costs would be. And remember that most people think that won't happen to me.

How about when she starts talking about it, instead of saying something negative, how about saying some real postive stuff?

Friend: I am thinking of breeding my bloodhound again.

You: Really, that's kool. Are you going to breed it to a bloodhound so that you can register the litter and the puppies will have papers?

Friend: I am not sure, if she is a purebred.

You: Well, you know, dog breeding is neat to get into, but I think going with purebreds are the way to go. Have you considered joining a breed club?

Friend: I haven't heard of anything like that.

You: Well, it's not that hard to find them, you can look it up on the internet to find a club. I mean, if you want to breed blood hounds, I would think that you would want to learn everything about them.

Friend: well, I do not think she is pure as I said, so it really doesn't matter.

You: Maybe not, but you want your puppies to have a good chance at having good homes, and there are too many mixed-breed dogs put down every year, I wouldn't want to risk that.

You have to start somewhere. Immediately saying something negative will usually just turn the person off, but will not necessarily change their mind. Talking it up, and then saying, you know if you are serious about breeding, you will not want to get known for breeding mixed-breed dogs, or dogs without papers.

So, if they now decide they want to become a breeder of bloodhounds, you can steer her to a friendly bloodhound forum who will kick her butt when she gets on and asks about breeding first thing. But, once you have someone WANTING to do things right, you have someone who is worth working with. Then you can talk about conformation, health screenings, field trials, and the like. You can also discuss prospective puppy owner screening.

People who want to breed mutts to mutts to make more mutts, well, I just do not know where to go with that. Puppies ARE cute. And generally, you CAN get rid of a litter of even mixed-breed puppies. They go to their new homes, and where they go from there no one knows and no one seems to care. How many of those cute puppies land in pounds within a year or two, well, we all know it is too many, but how do you tell people who want to make cute puppies that without making them just tune you out?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow. You know, even though it's spring break, I want to talk to her NOW about it. I won't see her in class til after spring break, but I'm gonna see if I can find her on facebook.

Thank you guys for taking a moment and responding!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update:

The pups are now 7-8 weeks old. One of them died. None of them have vaccines and none of them are eating or drinking water. :(

I hope they're going to be okay.

As far as breeding goes, I tried to talk to her but it seemed like she wasn't listening.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Why aren't they eating or drinking water?? They are ready to go to homes!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Update:

The pups are now 7-8 weeks old. One of them died. None of them have vaccines and none of them are eating or drinking water. :(

I hope they're going to be okay.

As far as breeding goes, I tried to talk to her but it seemed like she wasn't listening.
There's an old saying..."can't argue crazy".

She sounds to me a little like a bumpaholic...

?Bumpaholics? crave the belly-rubbing high - TODAY Health - TODAY.com

At that level no sane arguments are going to change the mind of "I love puppies..... " A little like animal horders who have 100s of animals in their house because they "love animals".

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I would leave it alone. With no vaccines they probably have parvo and distemper and will mostly die...kinda mean but sometimes reality is a great lesson:(

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Man, if I could find a video I took when I was in Arkansas of my sister's neighbor's bloodhound (RIP poor girl), I would show it to you. This poor thing was about as big around as my wrist, every bone sticking out of her body, she had been hit by a car, and the owners were pretty disappointed when it didn't kill her. They tried slitting her throat, but it got infected and it smelled horrible. She snapped at one of their kids (probably because she was hurting), and they shot her. They came over and told us how proud they were that they killed her. Unfortunately, by the time animal control came out, she'd already been shot and they couldn't find her body. They had another one that was emaciated, but they just said that bloodhounds are 'naturally lean dogs.' Sorry, but they're not supposed to have EVERY SINGLE BONE protruding from their body.

Just let her know that there are people like that out there that might seem like good people, but one of her precious pups could go to a person like this.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I can't find the video for that girl, but here's some pics.

Warning: Graphic. :(

This person got both of his bloodhounds from a 'breeder.' I'm sure that breeder thought they were going to at least a halfway decent home. Who ever imagines one of THEIR puppies ending up like this?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have one last update:

ALL of the puppies died. In fact, whatever the virus was it spread to her inside dogs and killed them too. :(

The only good news is the mother bloodhound survived and she is going to be spayed.

It's just a very sad case, I just wish the puppies could have survived.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts