German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason, when I got Ozzy, I felt it necessary to get the 15 lb. bag of food for him. I still have the same bag (rougly 2.5 months), and there's still about 5 or 6 lbs. left in the bag, if not more.

I'm not sure how long food is okay to sit, opened, but I noticed Ozzy's not 'excited' to eat it as he is the lamb/oatmeal. He'll look at it and eat it slowly like he doesn't enjoy eating it. Just eats it 'cause he's hungry.
I'm not sure if that's because of taste preference (he went nuts over it at first), or if it's because it's old and doesn't taste good anymore.

Should I just toss this bag out?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I wouldn't, especially if the food was expensive. That would be throwing money away. If he's still eating it, even though slower, I'd let him eat it.

·
Registered
686 Posts
You could keep the remainder of the bag in the refrigerator or freezer . . . that would keep it from getting any worse.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Or if you choose not to feed it your local humane society or shelter would love the donation.....just a thought.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
It was the same way with Mac. So I put his bag of food in a garbage bag so I could seal it better...just an idea for the next bag you buy

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cost doesn't matter to me, really. He's already got another (6 lb) bag of food. (I had a $3 off coupon, so I used it).

I just don't know when the food goes bad. I'll just mix it in with canned if it's because he just doesn't like the taste, but if it's because it's no good anymore, I'll throw it out.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Only one way to know for sure if it is stale. . . pop a piece in your mouth and test it out for yourself. That's what I would do (and have done). ;)

If it is stored properly and in a good dry climate (like Arizona) then it should keep for a while.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
If the food isn't stored properly it will get stale. My friend in Florida allowed his bag to stay partially opened....I told him - nooooo you are going to have a dog who is not going to want to eat stale food! I can't blame the dog - stale chips are gross!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Stale kibble at a shelter is better then in the trash...please donate the bag if your pup won't eat it.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
sounds like its just stale. i dont blame him for not being thrilled about it. i dont like eating stale food either. you can either throw it out of donate it.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried feeding it to him this morning and he picked at it a little, so it's obvious he doesn't want it. I'll take it to the shelter, probably tomorrow.

Thanks for suggesting that, I would have just thrown it out.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was thinking that too, but it's probably just stale. I just keep it in the bag in my closet/mini bedroom and roll the top closed.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Does anyone know how long food actually last while open?

I know i have 30 pound bags that I leave open for about 5-6 weeks with no problem.

I know everyones saying it's probably just stale, but does anyone know for sure how long the food lasts once opened?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
For some reason, when I got Ozzy, I felt it necessary to get the 15 lb. bag of food for him. I still have the same bag (rougly 2.5 months), and there's still about 5 or 6 lbs. left in the bag, if not more.

I'm not sure how long food is okay to sit, opened, but I noticed Ozzy's not 'excited' to eat it as he is the lamb/oatmeal. He'll look at it and eat it slowly like he doesn't enjoy eating it. Just eats it 'cause he's hungry.
I'm not sure if that's because of taste preference (he went nuts over it at first), or if it's because it's old and doesn't taste good anymore.

Should I just toss this bag out?
OP is saying she changed flavors and maybe that's why her pup is not as interested in the kibble. Certainly the food is not rancid or moldy, shelter dogs will eat stale food ANYTIME. Just ask em' ;)

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
OP is saying she changed flavors and maybe that's why her pup is not as interested in the kibble. Certainly the food is not rancid or moldy, shelter dogs will eat stale food ANYTIME. Just ask em' ;)

From the description, it's not clear to me why the dog won't eat the food. There have been ample examples of bad bags of food, or food gone bad on these forums.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was looking for the "best by" date, and I couldn't find one. :/

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
What brand is it? If you e-mail the company with the bag number I'm sure they could get back to you with a best by date. Though I admit, 2 things annoy me to no end about pet food. Not putting how many calories are in it and not putting a best by date on the bag!!

I buy a 15lb bag for Zoey which last her roughly 6 months at a time. I've never had a problem with food going bad even though it IS kind of a long time to keep it. However, I've found that food keeps better if I use a separate container or bag to pull out about 2 weeks worth of food at a time. That way I open the main bag a LOT less and therefore less air gets to the food to spoil it faster. You can see a difference in the color of the kibble at the bottom of the 2 week bowl that is exposed to air everyday and the food still being kept in the bag.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts