German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys idk how did this go on her paw? Should i take her to the vet?
Thank YOU!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Can you clean that up with some soap and water and hydrogen peroxide? And then put some antibiotic ointment or calendula cream on it?

Is it just a cut? Do you know how she got it?

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Welcome to the site, I live just outside of Sac.

I would do what BowWowMeow suggested, and if it's not better in about a day, at most two, take her in. Weird lumps and bumps on paws, if they aren't caused by trauma, need to be addressed aggressively.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi, guys idk how did this go on her paw? Should i take her to the vet?
Thank YOU!
That looks like a very minor nick that doesn't require vet attention at all.

I would use Betadine (povidone iodine), not hydrogen peroxide. Peroxide is caustic to flesh and doesn't have the same spectrum of bacterial efficacy that Betadine does.

I also don't like creams on a dog either, especially the feet, as they attract dirt/dust particles which stick to creams.

All your dog needs is twice-daily applications of either Betadine or Nolvasan (if that). If you go to a vet, s/he will just charge you a big office call to do the same thing.

Only go to a vet for matters you really can't handle yourself. For example, if your kid falls and skins his knee, you really don't need to go to an MD do you?

Jack

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
The picture is a bit blurry, but if it's not swollen, and she's walking on it, I would NOT go to the vet.

Instead I would keep an eye on it and try to keep her from licking it so it will heal.

If, instead, it starts getting worse...................off to the vet I'd go.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Don't mean to scare you but my dog had something similar that started small and it got bigger. Ended up being allergies. Keep an eye on it and if it doesn't get better, take to the vet for a checkup. Better safe than sorry....

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Please be cautious of anyone that looks at something like that and immediately calls it minor.

Again, if it starts healing right away, you're good. But don't give it too much time to determine this, lumps and bumps can be awfully deceptive, and those on paws and toes can be particularly aggressive and lethal.

Here's hoping it's just backyard trauma from playing...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Please be cautious of anyone that looks at something like that and immediately calls it minor.
Again, if it starts healing right away, you're good. But don't give it too much time to determine this, lumps and bumps can be awfully deceptive, and those on paws and toes can be particularly aggressive and lethal.
Here's hoping it's just backyard trauma from playing...

:rolleyes:

Anyone who calls that nick on the foot "major" has a serious problem with reality. I have seen truly major wounds, and I can assure you that nick on the foot is next to nothing. In fact, if it was any smaller, it would be nothing :)

Your point about aggressive cancers on feet is well taken, but most cancerous "bumps" are (by definition) not flat like that.

Regarding possible autoimmune disorders, pemphigus, etc., you will typically see symmetrical hair loss about the eyes, ears, face, and paws with any type of autoimmune disorder. In other words, "one side" won't be affected; the hair loss will be symmetrical. Food allergies carry more symptoms also.

That photo isn't the best, but it looks like a teeny-tiny scrape/injury to me, and certainly nothing to rush out and get examined by a vet. Sure, if it gets worse and doesn't respond to basic treatment (and if other symptoms develop), then I would get it looked at also ... but anyone who panics over a nick on the paw that small at this stage of the game, with no other mitigating symptoms, needs to get a grip and learn to handle their dog problems with a more reasonable and level head.

Take care and just trying to help someone not waste their money at this point ...

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I would soak it to make sure its clean and then dry it off and spray some Vetericyn on it and let it go. My dog has something similar and and it healed up without a problem. :) Good luck!

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Dogs licked their wounds for tens of thousands of years before vets and medicine came along. It's a wonder they survived.
However, if you have the technology to help the booboo then why not?

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
"Your point about aggressive cancers on feet is well taken, but most cancerous "bumps" are (by definition) not flat like that"

The key word is *most*. If your dog is the one dog whose "harmless nick" is cancerous, then you're not going to be very consoled by the fact that the others don't have cancer while yours does.

Hopefully by now that wound on the paw is all healed.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I would just clean with with warm, soapy water and keep it as dry as possible. Don't use Peroxide, it's not good for cuts.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
The debate between peroxide and bentadine is pretty age old. I have had, and continue to have good luck with using it when initially cleaning out a wound, and still recommend it.

Regardless, as long as the would is cleaned, that's the important thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts