German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that Chance is scratching his right ear alot.
I have looked at it, no redness, scabs, etc.
This morning when he was outside, he kept going on his back and rubbing the right side of his head on the snow. 3 times!

I went to smell his ear to see if it had a strange odor, but this guy needs a bath after being at the shelter anyways, so P.U! I won't be doing that again anytime soon...:sick: Well, maybe after the groomer today.
My question is this. Is this something that I should call the vet about today? Or should I wait until 1 week from now when he has his appointment for neutering?
Thanks
Eileen

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Will the groomer clean his ears today? He may just have gunk in there from not being taken care of. If she does and he still shows the same symptoms then yes, he may have a yeast infection.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I would keep an eye on it and see if anything changes. If he's "gunky" and you've been brushing him, he could just by getting rid of itchy hair. It could also be moving from the shelter to a house. Our house is a lot drier in the winter so my dogs roll more as well.
For a lot of dogs, allergies or sensetivites tend to start out on their feet and ears. Watch for paw licking and redness/irritation between the toes.

How is your weather today? You said you drove home in a snowstorm.

We're looking forward to almsot 30 above zero for the next couple days.
:happyboogie:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would keep an eye on it and see if anything changes. If he's "gunky" and you've been brushing him, he could just by getting rid of itchy hair. It could also be moving from the shelter to a house. Our house is a lot drier in the winter so my dogs roll more as well.
For a lot of dogs, allergies or sensetivites tend to start out on their feet and ears. Watch for paw licking and redness/irritation between the toes.

How is your weather today? You said you drove home in a snowstorm.

We're looking forward to almsot 30 above zero for the next couple days.
:happyboogie:
Temps are going to be in the mid 30's today, and get this one?! By the weekend it is going to be in the mid 40's!

Okay, going to have groomer pay attention to his ears and go from there.
Thanks my friends!
Eileen

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He has an appointment today at noon with the groomer. YIPEE!
No more stinky poo-poo smells!
I am having the BEST luck. The groomer has GSD's at home!
She said she has all kinds of great cleaning stuff for his ears, so she will definitely be checking him out.
3 more hours....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts