German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i took Archer for a walk today and decided to teach him not to pull on the leash, we walked just around the block and it took about 45 min. It did not go so well. On the second of the four sides of the block he did great he walked with me and the leash was loose so i just kept giving him treats(a portion of his food) but the other sides were tough. Every time he pulled i would stop and wait till he sat then i would say "let's go" and repeat.

This has got me wondering if i am expecting too much too soon for the little guy. He is 11 weeks and a smart little dude. His current commands he listens to are sit, come, down(with treats) and potty training is almost perfect, if he needs to go he goes to the backdoor and let's out a few whines. Should i just work on the simple ones for now and wait until a few more weeks for the leash training? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
11 weeks?

Sounds like you're both doing well.

Don't over do it.

Take time to enjoy and play with the puppy.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Just an FYI. This is very early for everything you mentioned. They have very short attention spans and most spend this time with bonding and familiarity with house, humans and yard.

The reason that works and is recommended is because bonding is 1st before training and more importantly - you are exposing them to diseases that may prove fatal to them on the streets. Do you understand about required vaccination completion for their best chance of protection?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an FYI. This is very early for everything you mentioned. They have very short attention spans and most spend this time with bonding and familiarity with house, humans and yard.

The reason that works and is recommended is because bonding is 1st before training and more importantly - you are exposing them to diseases that may prove fatal to them on the streets. Do you understand about required vaccination completion for their best chance of protection?
Thanks for the suggestions. I am loving this little guy and we play lot's. I will continue the simple commands and wait for harder ones for the moment. As far as walking he has had his first round of shots and ready for the next soon. Are you saying no walking around the block until all shots? I absolutely do not allow him to veer off to investigate other dogs messes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will check out those vids. I guess i am amazed at his intelligence, although i must keep the mantra that he is still a baby.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts