German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Thanks I agree on the fight it- but I also wonder if I could pay nolo contendre just to avoid the hassle of court time and hiring a lawyer.

This morning, out on the road with the dogs, police SUV cruises by again. I am starting to feel uncomfortable in my own home. Like they are watching or doing surveillance and then driving by when I am out with the dogs which is just not right. At all. I have no record - a couple speeding tickets over the years of driving, but nothing bigger than that. I work full time for a local small business in the community. I don't make trouble.

I don't want to escalate this- if paying it would stop the escalation I would just pay, but it seems like it could do nothing and just be admission of guilt so next time, the guy can do whatever he wants.

This neighbor is certified strange in many ways, but he's also been a townie for 20 years, so he's got that going for him big time.

I've probably been up and down that road 1,500 times since I've lived here- often twice a day... I just don't know what to do now. I hate this situation so much.
You are in Canada are you not? If so then a lot of the suing that goes on in the US is not applicable here. However as I have discovered a ton of smaller places have so truly backward AC laws that may not swing in your favor if you admit guilt.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I don't have any advice to offer, I can certainly understand conflict over barking or dogs running loose, but can't understand what could possibly be objectionable about walking leashed dogs down the street? Are there other dog owners in the area? Has he harassed them as well? Perhaps they could back you up. If it's financially viable, I might consult a lawyer for advice moving forward, even just meeting for a half hour may be enough? I'm not sure how they could ticket you for something that is just his word against yours. Are there other loose dogs along the road?--could he have mistaken someone else's dogs for yours?

·
Super Moderator
6,116 Posts
Saco the police aren't necessarily trying to cause trouble for you or targeting you.They may be a help to you in court since your dog is being perfectly well behaved when the officer is observing.Jot down the car number or plate number for a witness in your defence.Flag him/her down and talk to them if you can do so calmly.Try and get video to show your dog's nonreactive behavior.Wishing for the best outcome for you:)

·
Registered
139 Posts
I would flag down the cop and ask him/her, How is it going? Strike up a conversation. Once they realize how well behaved your dogs are, and how polite you are, maybe they would back off. All the cops have to go on right now is what the idiot neighbor has said.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I agree with suggestions for videos and sound recordings .......... it was advice I was given due to a threatening neighbor. [I was one of several who called animal control after being bitten by her at large dog-ultimately many people and some torn up dogs later, the dog was taken and PTS but they said a body cam or a go pro is really really good to have.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I talked to the town clerk and told them I'd be consulting a lawyer. The ticket said I had 4 days to pay but didn't specify weekends or business, so it was strange. I asked him to make sure to take an official note that I called and told him I was going to be talking with a lawyer just in case they try to be sticklers about the timing.

I tried to get a video on my phone today but it was in selfie mode and I couldn't stop it in time- which goes to show why a go pro is a good idea!

If I can calm down enough I will flag down the police next time I see them (tomorrow?) and have a chat.

Unfortunately, I am in US- sue country.

I'll see what the lawyer says- never done this before, but I'm talking with him tomorrow. Consult is free, but I'd bet actually hiring him would be at least $500, which may be worth it.

Will update...

·
Super Moderator
4,680 Posts
I talked to the town clerk and told them I'd be consulting a lawyer. The ticket said I had 4 days to pay but didn't specify weekends or business, so it was strange. I asked him to make sure to take an official note that I called and told him I was going to be talking with a lawyer just in case they try to be sticklers about the timing.

I tried to get a video on my phone today but it was in selfie mode and I couldn't stop it in time- which goes to show why a go pro is a good idea!

If I can calm down enough I will flag down the police next time I see them (tomorrow?) and have a chat.

I'll see what the lawyer says- never done this before, but I'm talking with him tomorrow. Consult is free, but I'd bet actually hiring him would be at least $500, which may be worth it.

Will update...
If you do get recordings make sure you can send the video to your animal control board. If it is only on your phone or personal device they won't accept it. I can see how they might send you notice to appear before AC but I don't understand how they can give you a ticket without proof of offense.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I was able to download audio from my phone. You know the one where my neighbor said "I will kill you" repetadly and then email it to the police officer handling my complaint. Basically what happened that day was she started following me and I turned on my voice recorder on the phone. This and swerving her car at me had become a routine experience; several times I had to jump on the curb to avoid her.

I think seeing me with the go pro at all times (I just wear it around my waist) and the knowledge on her part that I recorded her has changed her behavior just like she quit coming to my house banging on the door after I put up security cameras. She also gives me a wide berth when she is driving. Several officers and one attorney suggested that I use the device; I had considered getting a restraining order but I felt "what if" they did not actually give me or or "what if" it was not strong enough?

Wearing the cam was a real hassle at first but it has become 2nd nature. If I had it to do over I would get a police body cam. Not any more expensive and much longer lasting battery and recording duration.

If you do record I would have a collection of typical walks where cars pass by and your dogs are non reactive and save any where your neighbor's car drives by.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Is there any way you can walk your dogs with out passing that house or drive to another area at least until this is settled. If your neighbor is that strange, who knows what he's thinking or what he is triggered by when he sees them.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I know that if it was me, I'd probably walk them on another road, even if it meant getting in the car and driving. But I also hate confrontations and conflict and have a tenancy to avoid it even when I should assert myself. You have every right to walk the road near your home with your leashed, well-behaved dogs, but if you wanted to avoid potential drama until you've talked to your lawyers and fought the ticket, I certainly wouldn't blame you.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Actually, If you have a town square or park and there are officers doing foot patrol or directing traffic etc, you can start walking your dogs through town at those times so others can see how well they behave. I did this from the get go with mine with that specific intention. It paid off big time 7 yrs later. People do observe and take note even when you don't think that they are. The last sentence is a paraphrase that I had read on here yrs ago and what sparked the intent. It may help you or others also.

·
Registered
15,889 Posts
OK just from the initial post - where are you located SACO?

How it works in my jurisdiction, is you either pay the citation or show up in court. The complainant may not even appear. If you didn't document the incident elsewhere, use your post here as documentation. It's time consuming but likely worth contesting as the charges are not accurate. I had my neighbor cited repeatedly for his dogs on my property. I took photos. I took down times and dates. It's a PIA but if I hadn't shown up, the case would have been thrown out and the problem would have continued. If you show up and prevail - and it sounds like you would prevail - the neighbor may be less likely to continue filing complaints. If you don't, he will likely continue down his path.

So that's my take of it in a rural central Oregon county.

·
Registered
139 Posts

Will update...
Very much worth 500 bucks. Like Jchrest said, records are forever. Fight it now, or forever hold your peace!

In my opinion, unless the guy is 95, and ready to croak, I would move if possible. Some people are impossible to make happy. He/she/it will find something else to complain about.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I also like the GoPro idea. And if you can, don't place it in an obvious spot. When you use your phone to record, people know right away you're recording. Most people will change their behavior when they know they're being recorded. So if you can, place it in an area on your body or on the dog where it's not so obvious, then the chance of you catching something iincreases. It's sad that we live in a time now where we need dashcams in cars and GoPros on dogs to protect ourselves in case of lawsuits.

I use something called NextDoor ap on my phone that connects people in local neighborhoods. Anyway, there was a posting last week about neighbors complaining about a neighbor's two dogs barking all the time. (A lot of dog related complaints...including people not picking up after their dogs, etc.) They were talking about whether they should file a complaint to the authorities about it. I asked them all if any one of them actually talked to the offender face to face instead of immediately filing a complaint. No one's talked to them in person yet. I told them they should be neighborly and give the person a chance to correct the problem by either sending the dogs to daycare or training or whatever. Anyway I won't bore you with the rest of the story but all these problems are making me contemplate getting a GoPro myself to protect my dog and I in case I encounter some problem neighbor. (I've talked to other dog owners around me over the years and there have been litigious-happy neighbors.) Well, I figure I've got dashcams in my car and cams in my house, why not one for the dog? Meanwhile I can also get some good clips for the dog's IG page.

·
Registered
15,889 Posts
You do not need a lawyer. At least in Oregon, you do not need a lawyer for this. Not yet anyway. How these citations work here (my experience trying to get some control over my neighbor's dogs) - you are given a court date. You show up, the citing officer shows up, the complainant shows up. The judge calls your case, you get sworn in (if you prefer not to "so help me God" you can request an alternative oath). The judge will ask the three of you questions about the event. Chances are the complainant will not show up. That will be easiest most likely. Whomever shows up, the judge will make a ruling, either dismissing the case (and fine) or not. BUT do either pay or show up. Be as respectful as you can (I was reprimanded for saying I didn't know what the boys were smoking in response to their fabricated story). Probably just state "My dogs did not chase Mr. BS's car. My dogs were on leash. I was with them." (It would be tempting to add "We did not run after the car." but probably not advisable...)

I spent way too much time sitting in court with repeated citations against my neighbor letting his dogs run amuck. It came to a head when people were afraid to get out of their cars to open my gate because of the dogs.

I contemplated setting up security cameras on my gate area (it is set back) to record his dogs but settled for still shots from my point and shoot. It was a PIA to remember to take the camera when I walked but it worked.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I have a cheap chest harness for my go pro and I took off the shoulder straps and just wear it around my waist and it works fine though I run audio through a voice recorder on my phone as the case covers the microphone on the go pro and it mutes some sound [I just ordered a new case that does not do it so I am going to test that part out-but I don't want an external mike as I walk rain or shine]

.......but I seriously would look into one of these unless you want a go pro for other fun things (We use it for kayaking etc.) because I can only get an hour on a battery charge on my go pro so I have to carry spare batteries if I am out for awhile.

https://smile.amazon.com/MIUFLY-Waterproof-Police-Camera-Display/dp/B071HP9F2X/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=police+cams&qid=1561055960&s=gateway&sr=8-4

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I'd like a go pro anyway for training, so I will look into getting an older model- I don't need the newest and absolute best.

Also, I thought about buying this creepy dog and sitting him at the edge of my property looking toward the road. Honestly, it will be useful as a dog training aid anyway, and it's not super pricey.

Creepy though!

https://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Giant-German-Shepherd/dp/B0006IRT78/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=life+size+german+shepherd&qid=1561056666&s=gateway&sr=8-2#customerReviews

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I'd like a go pro anyway for training, so I will look into getting an older model- I don't need the newest and absolute best.

Also, I thought about buying this creepy dog and sitting him at the edge of my property looking toward the road. Honestly, it will be useful as a dog training aid anyway, and it's not super pricey.

Creepy though!

https://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Giant-German-Shepherd/dp/B0006IRT78/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=life+size+german+shepherd&qid=1561056666&s=gateway&sr=8-2#customerReviews
LOL! We use to use an inflatable fake owl on the side of the house for deterrent..I dont quite remember for what. But he had a name...Horace..and he was awesome!

21 - 40 of 104 Posts