German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is redundant, but my 10 week old pup Nova came with her first shots done at 6 weeks (Sept 22). The paperwork said next vaccination at 8 weeks (Oct 3rd). I didn't get her until October 14th, brought her to the vet the 16th, and she got a DHPP booster at almost 10 weeks. Vet scheduled her to go back in 2 weeks. My issue is that in doing further research i've become aware of the threat of over vaccinating. Should i reschedule her third round of vaccines to something like 4 weeks from the 16th? Or should i skip the round and just give her a final one at 16 weeks?
Thanks so much

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
You can have her titered and see if she is already immune. It is a blood test that checks for antibodies. I had Deja's done at 4 years and she was strong for Distemper and Parvo after only her puppy shots. I have only given vaccines for two diseases: Parvo and Distemper as single vaccines only two weeks apart from each other so per vaccine/disease that has been 4 weeks apart. I think you'd be fine when you give your pup another 3 weeks from the last one. But do take him out in the world to safe areas and don't let him sniff in grass and on urine or feces.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Hi Kevin & Welcome! :greet:

Dr. Dodds (Vaccine Researcher)

"Core Vaccination Protocol I Recommend"

9 - 10 Weeks of Age

• Distemper
  • Parvovirus
14 – 15 Weeks of Age

• Distemper
  • Parvovirus
18 weeks of age

• Parvovirus only
Note: New research states that last puppy parvovirus vaccine should be at 18 weeks old.

20 weeks or older, if allowable by law
Rabies – give 3-4 weeks apart from other vaccines

1 Year After Last Vaccination (Optional Booster)

• Distemper
  • Parvovirus
Titer as Wolfy suggested.

Dr. Dodds:
"Adenovirus
At the current time, I do not recommend routinely giving the adenovirus (CAV-2) vaccination for either infectious canine hepatitis (ICH) or kennel cough. In the United States, there has only been one documented and isolated domesticated dog ICH incident in the past fifteen years. If and when a true outbreak does happen, my vaccination protocol can be revised appropriately to include CAV-2 vaccination to cover ICH for a specific region.
Parainfluenza
Parainfluenza is simply a member of the kennel cough complex. By itself, canine parainfluenza produces mild to moderate upper respiratory disease or no discernable clinical disease. When parainfluenza virus is combined with a bacterium such as Bordetella and several other potential viral pathogens, kennel cough could result. So, the attempt to pin down canine parainfluenza to specific respiratory lesions is difficult within the kennel cough complex. The current oral or intranasal Bordetella vaccines also cross protect against the other organisms in the kennel cough complex, including the CAV-2, discussed above. Plus, the vaccine needs to be reevaluated and be subjected to new clinical trials. The last one was conducted in the early 2000’s."

DHPP contains contains 4 viruses/bacteria. Distemper, Hepatitis, Parainfluenza, and Parvovirus.

Check your area for statistics of Lepto before giving this vaccine.

Congrats on your new pup! A German Shepherd adventure awaits you!
Moms :)

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
So you are in a tough time frame. Maternal antibodies can interfere with vaccines until 14-16 weeks of age.

So if it were me, I would vaccinate in 4 weeks with DHPP, then 2 weeks later the Rabies vaccine, then I would probably do one more DHPP at 18 weeks. Seems like overkill, but the possibility that you missed the end of maternal protection would be enough for me to do it.

Titers at this age may not give you adequate information, due to maternal antibody interference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi thank you so much for your reply .. just to be clear you're suggesting another DHPP booster when she's 14 weeks (4 weeks from now), then rabies at 16 weeks, finally a DHPP at 18 weeks? Is this not a concern for too many vaccines? Much appreciated!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts