German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if its a good idea?
I am away for two weeks but coming back tomorrow. My pets are staying with my parents but I am having a pet sitter come every other day to give my senior cat her sub q fluids... My dad has been saying that Bianca is depressed... The petsitter emailed me today and said the same and asked if I wanted her to take Bianca for a walk today. I am trying to decide. The thing is no one else walks Bianca but me normally (well sometimes I let a friend hold her leash when walking together) and she also used to be quite leash reactive with other dogs and I usually verbally remind her to ignore them when we see a dog. I havent showed the sitter how to handle Bianca because I`ve only had her taking care of the cats. I usually bring Bianca on trips with me... The petsitter did own a Shephrd before...

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
I would not. I don't let anyone handle my dogs in public, as they are ill equipped to deal with dog-dog aggression, a belligerent drunk who will definitely get a reaction from my male, etc...

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
If you are going home tommorrow then I would not chance it. If you will use the person in the future then it might be a good idea to have them walk your dog with you in preparation for you being gone again.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I am way too paranoid to let anyone walk my dog with out me, including my husband. Then again I have 3. As soon as you said the word "reactive" no way, why take a chance. She could spend time with the dog in the yard or house.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I walked with the dog walker and dog the first time to see how Gunny would react and to give her instruction. Gunny's on a pinch collar, so I'm not concerned with him trying to pull something. He's very good with other dogs, so I'm not too worried about that either. I use her when ever I'm working late or need to run to the barn to tend to the horse. Its nice to have someone as a back up.

·
5,627 Posts
If you'll be home tomorrow then I don't think it will make a huge difference.

I used to use a dog walker with my guys. When I hired her, I just had Raven but I was also fostering so I took my time finding someone that I would trust with fosters. I had 3 different fosters with her (1 was dog reactive and the other dog aggressive) before I adopted Kaiser. She met all the dogs before hand and we discussed their challenges and what I usually do to correct them. If I didn't trust her fully then I wouldn't have hired her. IMO, a good dog walker should be equipped to handle reactivity or aggression and respond appropriately.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I wouldn't do it.

I am too paranoid with my boy, I stress out at the thought of someone else walking him without me there. The thought makes me panic. :crazy:

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
I walked with the dog walker and dog the first time to see how Gunny would react and to give her instruction. Gunny's on a pinch collar, so I'm not concerned with him trying to pull something. He's very good with other dogs, so I'm not too worried about that either. I use her when ever I'm working late or need to run to the barn to tend to the horse. Its nice to have someone as a back up.
You don't know how the dog will react outside of your presence... you'd be surprised how many behaviors cue off you being around.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank guys! I decided to not have her walk Bianca since I will be going home today, although I may or may not be able to walk her today since I have class tonight...
Anyway I think next time I will show her how to walk Bianca before I go away. I didn't think of it this time since I really only had her coming for the cats, and Bianca generally does fine without being walked but I did not realize she'd get depressed about me being gone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts