German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 month old pup came to me with Giardiasis, but has had two normal stool checks since using Panacur back when she was 9 weeks old. There's a hike I love that runs along a creek that fills with run-off from the mountains, and she hasn't seen water yet (we live in Santa Fe, we have no water!), so I would like to take her up there. I have no idea if there is Giardia in the creek, but could I put her at risk again if she gets in and/or drinks from it? My adult greyhound was in there dozens of times, but I know puppies are more susceptible. Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
First reaction is 'no' but it seems like it would be an opportunity for many beautiful interactions and bonding w/your pup!
I agree that pups are more susceptible, so caution is in order. Have you thought about checking w/authorities in that area, like the public water-works, local colleges (biology or micro-biology may have gathered some data... Heaven knows, our classes did samplings of local water sources. Lastly, I'd check in w/a vet to see what the risks are should ur pup acquire another infection, and to estimate her susceptibility given her history. With my buddy, Ruger recuperating from a fever of unknown origin, I'm perhaps overly cautious, but it is important to know what you're exposing yourself and your pup to. There are lots of other parasites just hanging out, waiting...
I am keeping positive thoughts going that you can safely go to this beautiful place you're talking about!!!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank for reply! Vet said no way, but I'm trying to find out if there's been any testing done, or even if I could get a water test kit myself. We'll be in TX in 2 weeks, so maybe she can swim in a lake! Probably something even scarier in there, though:eek: Thx

·
Registered
290 Posts
Maybe I'm a little too loose, but I take my pup out on hikes all the time, and being in the desert, lots end at pools and seasonal waterfalls created by snow run off. I let him play in it because he loooves water. I bring fresh water and make him take a few sips before going down to the water on our hikes, so my hope is he'll drink the clean stuff. He's 7 months now and had giardia as a pup. I know there's always a risk, but I would hate for him to get sick, but I think the fun we have is a good trade off. If he ever acted weird or had problems after, I would of course head to the vet.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Giardia is very common in some places - in Colorado it is estimated that roughly 10% of dogs have giardia at all times but show no clinical signs because their system adjusts. Zeke himself had a bad bout of Giardia at 9 months of age but recovered well enough.

I personally would not be worried. A creek with run off is going to be much safer than stagnant water, such as a lake, because everything is constantly moving. Fast moving rivers and creeks are cleaner and safer than lakes, for the most part.

If it does cause diarrhea/illness treatment is simple and straight forward. Berlin is 15 weeks old and I just took him swimming at a local lake that we always visit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts