German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres a little intro before the question at hand. We have a black/tan GSD female 3.5yrs old and a black lab/collie mix that get along pretty well. We've had the lab/collie mix since a pup and rescued the GSD late last year. I have the oppritunity to add a 2 yr old black/tan GSD male. He is AKC registered and all but that really doesn't matter to me much. My issue is the pack relationship we already have at home. If I was to bring another male into the house it would surely throw the hierarchy off and I don't want my lab/collie to feel too stressed or even left out.

Any advice or opinions on this matter would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
895 Posts
I think what you first need to figure out is if the shepherd you are thinking to adopt is a dominant dog or not.? How is your collie mix? what personality does he carry? Is he dominant, submissive or in between? IMO, having two dominant males at the same time can be pretty risky in terms of fighting. Are they neutered? That is another factor you need to think of. It reduces aggression a little bit due to decreased levels of testestorone...I'm no expert, but These came into my mind at first thought. I think you should focus on personalities of the dogs and also how you will handle the situation. I hope it helps. GL

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Are you happy with the level of training of your current dogs? Training for your "old" dogs will have to take a backseat for a while while your new one gets his basics down and learns the routine. The last thing you want is two (or three!) half-trained dogs at your house.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Originally Posted By: EmooreAre you happy with the level of training of your current dogs? Training for your "old" dogs will have to take a backseat for a while while your new one gets his basics down and learns the routine. The last thing you want is two (or three!) half-trained dogs at your house.
Those are very good points.

The other I'd like to add has to do with the fact I just had to put my 15 year old senior dog down. And I BLESS the fact I had a 6 year split in age between my 3 dogs. The last year or so with all my senior dog issues and vet bills and worries and clean up and sadness from me knowing what was coming.................. really made me thankful that I had only one senior dog.

So not only was I really able to spend all the time needed to raise/train/socialize each dog as I added it to my house, knowing I'd also done the same to the older dogs. But it was nice that I could focus on my older girl when she started going downhill and didn't have to worry or split that same concern with another dog that could have been senior in my house.

So, for me, I definitely feel a 5 or 6 year split in age between my dogs is a blessing I can give my dogs AND myself.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, this morning I called the owner of the GSD and told her that I will pass on him because I need to concentrate on my other dogs at this time and that I was very sorry for taking up her time and not allowing someone else to take him.

Thank you all for your advice and opinions..I really appreciated it and it helped out alot. Thank you again..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts