German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so me and my girlfriend r thinking about getting a second puppy. our female gsd is 4 months old and were thinking of getting her brother who is same age but not potty trained. were just worried about if it will be hard to get him up to speed with her training, that hes gonna make her bad idk. what do u guys think is it a good idea? i really want to i would love to have 2 especially brother and sister GSD's. i think its double the fun lol am i wrong?

·
Super Moderator
32,675 Posts
It would certainly be double the work. Are you prepared for that?

·
Registered
27,305 Posts
I wouldn't do it. I got Kacie when Onyx was 5 mos. Kacie was 21 mos and it really took my time away from training/working with Onyx.
I'd spend time loving and training the pup you have and in a year or two adopt another, whether it be rescue or a baby puppy.
But if your GF and you have the time to commit to train each pup seperately then go for it! I don't think two dogs are much more work than one, in fact I think it is easier...but for training the challenges are there because the pups will distract each other.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Train and bond with the pup you have right now. Give her the time she deserves to mature into an adult dog.

If you get another puppy for this puppy to play with, they may bond with each other more than they bond with their humans. That wouldn't be a risk i'd be willing to make.

Also, are you prepared for double the vet bills, food, poop, crying, whining, walking, training, trouble, etc?

I say wait until your current pup and trained and then start thinking about another puppy.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Also, are you prepared for double the vet bills, food, poop, crying, whining, walking, training, trouble, etc?
And in 10-14 years, double the arthritis, double the incontinence, double the inability to go up and down stairs or jump in and out of your car, and finally, double the funerals?

IMHO, the best spacing is a few years apart. That way you can get one pretty well trained and bonded with you before you start on the 2nd one.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Oh I so hate to burst the puppy bubble, but I have to agree with the others who say to wait. I did it- got two pups just 3 mos apart and I would never ever do it again. I know it can, and has, been done but it's so much more than twice the work. If you do get another, you're way ahead to get one the same age! There is the time, training, bonding and aging issues to consider. All of that being said, there's nothing like seeing them play, wrestle, bond, sleep and grow together. Personally, I'd wait until the first one is about 2, but if you can't shake that puppy fever, don't say we didn't warn you!

·
2,967 Posts
The answer to that question is...

"No."

And for every reason mentioned and more. Everyone thinks that their 2 puppies will grow up together romping and playing, providing entertainment for each other and their happy owners who sit back and watch their family. And then after a few months reality sets in. You have 2 puppies who would rather listen to each other than you. 2 puppies who have anxiety when separated from each other. 2 puppies that escalate each other's bad habits. 2 puppies that make twice the mess and twice the expense.

Like others have said. It can be done. We did it. DH and I raised 2 puppies once and it was basically like we each had our own puppy. He would take his puppy for a walk and I would take mine. They really needed to separated the majority of the day from each other. So not the situation most people think of when they consider having 2 pups together.

This is a good article about the pitfalls of raising 2 puppies at the same time.
Raising 2 pups at one time in a Family Setting

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
dont do it! wait until your current pup is at least a year old if you cant wait any longer than that. you want your pup to have a bond with you. get your current pup trained and reliably so and then consider a second pup. Puppies influence eachothers behavior more than you care to know. If one ignores you the other will follow suit. The feed off of eachother. just wait.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I wouldn't do it, for all above mentioned reasons, as well as potential dominance issues. Dogs often sort their dominance by age. Kind of like respecting their elders. If they're the exact same age, there's more chance that they'll fight for top position. We had 2 French bulldogs that were litter mates. Given, they were both (neutered) males, but I think it was more their age that constituted to their problems. If we pet Yoda, Aiden would attack him. If Yoda tried to eat the same time Aiden was eating, he'd attack him. If Yoda had a toy Aiden wanted, Aiden would attack him. He wanted to be top dog, but Yoda wasn't going to let Aiden boss him around like that and he fought back. They couldn't sort out their dominance, so we rehomed Yoda. We felt he'd fare better in a new home than Aiden. After Yoda left, Aiden turned into a new dog. Much more loving toward us, and more willing to do things for us.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
so me and my girlfriend r thinking about getting a second puppy. our female gsd is 4 months old and were thinking of getting her brother who is same age but not potty trained. were just worried about if it will be hard to get him up to speed with her training, that hes gonna make her bad idk. what do u guys think is it a good idea? i really want to i would love to have 2 especially brother and sister GSD's. i think its double the fun lol am i wrong?
Don't do it! :eek:

Continue to train, love, exercise, socialize your current pup. And if 4 or 5 years from now, when your current puppy is 'practically perfect' you can think about adding another dog. Not fair to EITHER puppy if you double up now.

Take all the 'extra' time and money you must have to think about adding another puppy and instead use it to pay/attend puppy classes, socialize your puppy, hike/swim your new puppy.

Here's more info about having 2 puppies:

http://www.uvhs.org/behavioral_docs/double_trouble.pdf

problems of buying and rearing Two Puppies from same litter

Raising 2 pups at one time in a Family Setting

1 - 12 of 12 Posts