German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Shane started to limp again (he has lyme disease). He was doing well for about couple weeks after he finished the doxy, and then we notice his limping came back (on the same leg)

I just got back from the vet, and the vet prescribed the same medication, with the same dosage. I asked about increasing the dosage but he said it won't do much, it doesn't matter the strength but how long he should be on it.

The reason he put Shane back on the medication because he wants to see if the same thing will happen. He told me to take notes just before the final days he is done with the medication, and notice if he still limping, so he can rule out lyme disease. If there is no change, then we may have to move to Xrays to rule out Pamostreios (sp?).

Does this make sense? Should I seek another vet's opinion?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,571 Posts
Any time I ask myself if I should get a second opinion, THAT is when I should be getting a second opinion. I like specialists for this sort of thing. Another regular vet is only so helpful.

Specialists almost always want to shoot their own films and do their own diagnostic tests. Unless you can't get in to see the specialist for a while (usually due to them having very busy practices), I would hold off getting any additional tests done. At the least, talk to their office first.

Lisa will almost certainly have specific info regarding specialists to go to. She's the expert.


In the meantime, if I were you I would ask my vet for a referral to an expert. Then we can check board certifications and such things as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,397 Posts
Lisa here
guess people think of me when they hear tick disease


Originally Posted By: LiljahSo Shane started to limp again (he has lyme disease). He was doing well for about couple weeks after he finished the doxy, and then we notice his limping came back (on the same leg)
Sounds like he's not clear of the lyme yet. Was a C6 blood test sent out, to check titer level, before and after treatment?

Quote:I just got back from the vet, and the vet prescribed the same medication, with the same dosage. I asked about increasing the dosage but he said it won't do much, it doesn't matter the strength but how long he should be on it.
What is the dosage? The aggressive dosage is 5 mg per lb twice a day. The vet (and other posters) on the tick list that I am on are big believers in the aggressive dose, if the dog tolerates it.

Quote:The reason he put Shane back on the medication because he wants to see if the same thing will happen. He told me to take notes just before the final days he is done with the medication, and notice if he still limping, so he can rule out lyme disease. If there is no change, then we may have to move to Xrays to rule out Pamostreios (sp?).
Seems to me that you already know what happens when you take him off of doxy. To me, what is more important is what happens when you just put him back on -- if it affected the limp, then you have your answer, you don't have to wait for the end of the antibiotics.

If you go back on the doxy and it doesn't change the limp, then I would increase the dose to the above (if you are not already giving it), and then if there is still no change, then it might not be lyme (it could be another tick disease, btw).

Have you ever given the lyme vaccine?

Quote:Does this make sense? Should I seek another vet's opinion?
I understand what he is doing, though I would be more aggressive. It's tough changing vets, unless you know what you are changing to. If you could say to this vet, I'd be more comfortable with a more aggressive dose, and you could get him to work with you, then you might not need to change. If he's not willing to work with you, then I would start vet shopping...just mho. Many on the list give the doxy on their own, or increase the dose using fish antibiotics. That's not optimal though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for responding Lisa!

No a C6 blood test was never done. In fact when we went back, the doctor said he not going to do another blood test because he knows it is Lyme disease.

Shane is on 100 milligrams 5x's a day (this was his last dosage as well). I asked for a higher dosage but the doctor thought it wasn't necessary. Maybe I should have been more aggressive with it.

We did give him a Lyme disease shot, but it was for only one strain (that is what we were told).

The doxy did effect his limp, he was getting better with the doxy and was doing fine off the doxy for awhile. I think the Lyme disease wasn't completely killed off either. But should I go back and ask for a higher dosage? Or keep him on 100 mlg's 5x's a day?

It would hard for me to change vets, because it took me a long time to find one who wouldn't treat Shane as a rabid dog. Most vets think they need to use rough treatment on Shane just because he is a GS.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,368 Posts
how long was he on the first dosage and what's he weigh?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He was on the first dosage for 2 weeks. He weights 98.6 pounds
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,397 Posts
Wow, you're giving him the doxy five times a day? Is that easier on his digestive system, or is that just what you were told to do?

So at 100 pounds, the dosage should be 5x100=500 mg *twice* a day, if you are to treat aggressively. The dose you are at is the non-aggessive dose. (It could be broken up if there are digestive issues.) What Jakoda was looking for is to see how aggressively he was treated the first time. Two weeks, IMO, is too short, and he was on the low dose, not an aggressive one. Generally, on the tick board, the dose increased to either the aggressive dose, or the maximum dose that the dog can handle. My Max, at 75 pounds, tolerates about 200 mg twice a day, which isn't nearly high enough to really knock stuff out. And I do always have to give it with food.

The reason for running the C6 after a SNAP test done in the vet office is not to confirm the presence of the disease, but to monitor treatment and to have a baseline in later years. The C6 gives a value at the beginning of treatement. Treatment is considered successful if the C6 drops by half (though I'd have to look up the time frame on that). This also gives a measurement for later years to compare to what the immune system is doing. The key will be to find if your vet is open to running the tests that you want, after you decide what you want


IMO, having had the lyme vaccine will complicate this a bit. My dog was severely damaged by that vaccine over a decade ago, and I try to keep up on the literature in that area. Was he given the vaccine before after you suspect he got lyme? If you treat aggressively and you don't see the expected improvement, you could be dealing with some vaccine involvement. This risk increases if you give the vaccine *after* they have been exposed to lyme.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top