German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have only had a handful of experiences with Akitas but I would say 99% of it was great. A neighbor of mine has 3 of them. All males. They are sweet as can be. I walk by there house several times a week and they all love my aunt's dog but can't really stand my guy( which is understandable to an extent) they are kept behind a low fence though which scares me because theya can easily clear it and one has a couple of times. Once I was walking by myself and the youngest one just hopped right over the fence and came trotting up behind me. Luckily 1) I knew the dog and 2) he was super friendly 3) still relatively puppy-sized for an Akita. But still he got over that fence with ease and came to say hi. If it had been a strange passing by he might not have do it but you never know. But then again this guy takes these dogs everwhere with him and they have been in classes since like 8-10 weeks old. These are not like your normal every day dogs. They were bred and trained very carefully.

Now don't get me wrong I LOVE GSD's too. I have one and he is the sweetest, goofyest, the most laveable dog in the world. And I know that he would gladly take a bullet for me if he needed to( of course then he would milk his recovery for all it's worth). But he is stubborn and pushy, he hogs the bed and talks back, he was never taught how to be a dog when he was younger so he thinks and dog that comes at his face it going to fight him. But he is getting better with work. He is amazing with cats, he loves to play with them but will hightail it outta there if they so much as pin their ears at him. He is the best ranch dog he is respectful of the horses and other live stock but he won't back down from any stray dogs or other challanges he may face, even the mean goose o' DOOM who likes to chase everyone. With everything that makes him who he is I love him and it would be a cold day in **** before I gave him up but like with everything it has been a lot of work, some fun, some hard, some just down right annoying. He is so independent that try as I might to fight it I get so frustrated with him and I will get mad. I will just walk away from him and whatever I was doing so I don't get more upset. But there he comeswith his wolfy-grin and his I'm sorry mom face, and everything it alright again.

My opinion is to do something like foster and even volunteer at a shelter if you can you never know you may find your match in one of the many throw aways that someone just gave up on. I know I did.

21 - 21 of 21 Posts