German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago Lincoln had a very very bad diarrhea. I called the hospital -> Animal Medical Center The nurse (or whoever that picked up the phone) told me to bring him in since it has been going on for three days already and that they were able to fit me in before closing time. We brought him in. After initial Q&A session, they sent us to the room that has animal hair all over the floor. After about 15 minutes wait, the nurse came in. She asks a few more questions then ask my husband to carry Lincoln up on the table. I don't remember her exact quote but she pretty much said that there are some parvo case here at the hospital and even though she gets spray on top to toe she would rather not touch my puppy. We don't mind doing that but that was a little weird. I felt like she wasn't afraid of her transmitting parvo to Lincoln but afraid that he has parvo. If that is a policy, why do you leave the room dirty? Then the vet came in ask more questions then carry him out to get some test. We walked out with a $100 vet bills, two pill bottles, and two cans of science diet prescription food.

We have been to this hospital three times so far. First two time was with his own vet. The room was clean. The staffs were decent. His vet willing to listen to my questions. My husband said maybe we should consider changing the facility. What do you guys think? To me, hospital should be super duper clean. Especially with them telling me every visit that there are parvo going around and there are three dogs already in the hospital because of that.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I'm not an expert, but a dirty exam room would bother me greatly. Especially if there was a parvo case in there and the ROOM wasnt cleaned from top to bottom

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I am not a fan of big animal hospitals, I prefer dealing with a private practice where you build a relationship or try to anyway.
Unfortunatey exposure to illness at hospitals are high so having a dirty exam room would put me off.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I would have walked out if I walked in and seen the room looking dirty like that.

·
Registered
27,250 Posts
I've been to different vets and it seems that hair on the floor is normal...I've even seen suture's that have been removed still laying on the floor! That was disgusting.
When I go to the vet, I assume there is illness, viruses and other icky's because that is where the sick dogs go. I don't let my dogs sniff and try not to have them in the building any longer than possible. Baby pups are carried in, put on my own towel and carried out. Just like going to an immediate care walk in, I touch nothing and try not to breathe!

·
Registered
754 Posts
I think it's safe to say that if you feel it wasn't a place you feel was clean for your pup, than yes.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I'm not an expert, but a dirty exam room would bother me greatly. Especially if there was a parvo case in there and the ROOM wasnt cleaned from top to bottom
this, for sure

·
Registered
852 Posts
A small amount of hair wouldn't bother me. A lot would. A suture definitely would. I definitely wouldn't come back and I would tell them why. Even without a parvo outbreak it just isn't sanitary.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts