Banned
15,195 Posts
neuter him for what? i've never neutered my dogs. i don't know
anything about pedigrees.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Idk about pedigrees.

It depends... How old is your dog, and how closely do you manage him?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
lots of dogs have good blood lines that aren't bred. are you
going to do the breeding or are you going to find a professional,
reputable breeder to do the breeding?

Well if he's got a good blood line I would definitely want his legacy to continue.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I won't neuter my own rescue....For health and developmental reasons.

Nor will he Ever breed. I manage him very, very closely.

If you can't keep watch 24-7, that's another story.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
A lot of dogs have a good blood line. I don't know anything about showlines so just the fact that all the grandparents are V rated doesn't mean much to me. I don't like all the "fast normals" on the hip ratings though (3 out of 4)..How were the parents?

Are you going to be doing all the things to make sure people will WANT to breed top quality females to him (show ratings, sport, health clearances etc.)...At his age you can't tell if he will wind up breed worthy or not and would want to be invested in that community to make contacts. It would be a combination of pedigree and how he turns out.

In any regard, I would personally say wait untl the growth plates close then figure out what you want to do. I would say that of any male dog but there are lots of threads with different arguments on if/when to neuter on the forum!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well he's 14 weeks tomorrow and I have him indoors I only take him out when I take him to the vet and when he does business. He just needs his last two sets of shots before I start taking him out. I plan to have Xrays taken once he's a couple months older. I don't plan on breeding him yet I want to be more informed before I take that step

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Get involved with a good breed club that does schutzhund and go through all the right channels and find a mentor. Get the dog titled and koered. All good things to help decide if breedworthy. An x-ray in a few months will have some predictive value but wait until you get the OFA x-rays at 2, along with genetic disease tests.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i got my pup when he was 9 weeks old. after his 2nd round of
shots he was in a puppy class and we were out and about. when
he was 16 weeks old he started OB (private lessons). after his
2nd round of shots there was plenty of play groups.

Well he's 14 weeks tomorrow and I have him indoors I only take him out when I take him to the vet and when he does business. He just needs his last two sets of shots before I start taking him out. I plan to have Xrays taken once he's a couple months older. I don't plan on breeding him yet I want to be more informed before I take that step

·
Registered
423 Posts
German Shepherds have been part of my life since I was 10. My Father never neutered one. I have never neutered one and never will unless a medical problem calls for it. I don't see any reason to do it. None of my GSD's were ever bred.....

Don't do it. Save your GSD's family joules....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really like your advice and I think this is the way I will go. I currently live in a small town where they don't have clubs like that but I'm willing to take a hour or two hours drive just to find one. I was just told by the vet to wait till after his shots I guess they have a lot of dogs get sick here

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I've never in my life had a dog that wasn't spayed/neutered. If the dog has good lines, I'm sure that the breeder can give you input or direction.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the person I bought the dog from doesn't know much about breeding this was his first litter all he told me was the mom and dad were both imported from Germany. I had been looking around and I thought I should take a look at his puppies I just noticed a better quality dog and it was nice he came up to me I guess you can say Troy chose me

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
who's the dam and sire of your pup?

Well the person I bought the dog from doesn't know much about breeding this was his first litter all he told me was the mom and dad were both imported from Germany. I had been looking around and I thought I should take a look at his puppies I just noticed a better quality dog and it was nice he came up to me I guess you can say Troy chose me

·
Registered
121 Posts
The pedigree shows the parents registered with AKC. From my experience imported shepherds are usually only registered with the German program 'SV'. Notice the grandparents are SV registered but not parents. Doesn't mean they weren't imported but that they aren't SV registered.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes they own both dogs they have them indoors. I got my puppy when he was 6 weeks for $900 dollars

1 - 20 of 30 Posts