German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a dumb question and I'm guessing the answer is yes, but today when I took Ozzy to play fetch, he marked a bush. I intervened with two claps and 'ah-ah' and he stopped.

I'm just wondering if I should continue to discourage him from marking or if it matters. I just don't want him to continue this at home, because it's bad enough with Aiden marking all over the place. :mad:

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I would think it would be difficult for Ozzy if the other dog is marking as well. Most males (I've had) will mark over each other. Hmmmm, interesting.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I think they will be marking everywhere they are boys dats what they do. They will mark over each other all day .

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just don't want him to start marking in the house, or Ozzy to start marking over Aiden's scent in the house. :(

·
Registered
77 Posts
This is probably a dumb question and I'm guessing the answer is yes, but today when I took Ozzy to play fetch, he marked a bush. I intervened with two claps and 'ah-ah' and he stopped.

I'm just wondering if I should continue to discourage him from marking or if it matters. I just don't want him to continue this at home, because it's bad enough with Aiden marking all over the place. :mad:

So long as he isn't doing it inside or taking it to compulsive lengths, why bother correcting it? The dogs I've had in the past were inveterate markers but completely potty-trained (at least in the 'only go outdoors' sense, if not the 'go on command' sense.)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
So long as he isn't doing it inside or taking it to compulsive lengths, why bother correcting it? The dogs I've had in the past were inveterate markers but completely potty-trained (at least in the 'only go outdoors' sense, if not the 'go on command' sense.)

i agree. Ozzy is reliably potty trained to go outside so i really wouldnt worry about him starting marking in the house and discouraging him marking outside.... well its going against that male instinct but i think the hardest part would be... what is honestly the point of stopping him from marking outside? he's gotta pee and marking he's getting out some urge and at least he's doing it outside. Ozzy knows better than to do it inside and i'm sure if he was going to do it, he would have done it by now. As long as you dont allow him to become obsessive about marking EVERYTHING outside he can hike his leg to, i think he's fine. Riley will mark ONE little bush in our yard and thats all he marks on walks but our neighbors stupid yorkie always marks in our yard various spots. Riley marks the backyard to his hearts content because thats his and he knows it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts