German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a new german shepherd owner. I currently have 3 dogs, 13 year old shih tzu, never been crated. 4 year old poodle mix, never been crated. 10 week old german shepherd, potty trained also never crated. (Doesn't need crating for potty since he wakes me up to take him outside.)

Most of the time someone is home and able to watch dogs. They roam the house and have their own beds. However, I noticed here on the site that alot of owners crate their dogs. I am thinking about crating to keep puppy out of trouble when we are not home.

Really need some opinions here. How has crating helped or not helped you with your dogs? Should I crate my german shepherd? Or should I crate all my dogs. Will the puppy cry if he is the only one crated when we leave the house, if he sees my other two dogs walking around? Where should I keep the crates?

Sorry if this question has already been asked or in the wrong place.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
My boy is my only dog. We started crate training as soon as he came home. Growing up our dogs were never crated, they had free roam all the time, to be honest they were unruley, rogue type dogs, did as they pleased. Now there was no training of any kind, but they were my buddies as a child:)

Anyways, the crate is an important tool for me. He accepts "down time", his crate is a comfortable place, chill out zone. Because of the crate, potty training was a breeze. We do crate when we are at work & school.Sometimes when guests come over he's crated. Works out very well. We keep ours in our bedroom.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Yes, crate training is good for both you and your pup. When I brought a Lakota home and set up her crate I always found one of the older dogs laying in it if I left it open.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Personally I don't know how people manage WITHOUT crating! :p

Berlin gets into EVERYTHING. The carpet, the cat tower, the table legs, chords for the lamp and tv are a favorite! Shoes. Cat food. The trash.... The list is endless.

I understand some dogs AREN'T destructive. Many people have dogs that they never crate train. For me, I just could not do it. Besides, there's not a single room in the house I can 100% puppy proof to make sure there's nothing he could get in to.

On the other side, it is nice to have a dog that is crate trained. If your dog ever needs to fly, or travel in a crate, or be hospitalized, go to a groomer, needs to stay with someone that insists on a crate. Maybe you have a change in the home and for some reason he needs to be crated. I can tell you personally, most dogs that have never been crated are HORRIBLE in a hospital setting. They aren't used to being caged. They scream, they whine, they're restless. They sure aren't resting and getting over whatever is requiring them to be hospitalized in the first place, and they are now disturbing the rest of other sick hospitalized patients.

Dogs also come to love their crates. Berlin hated his the first night or two, but even now only 2 weeks later he disappeared the other day and I couldn't find him, went back and found him passed out in his open crate. That's HIS space and he knows it.

I don't think it's wrong to not crate. I do get irritated with people that have such a hard time with destruction or inappropriate indoor elimination that refuse to try a crate. ESPECIALLY people that end up getting rid of their dogs because of it.

·
Banned
363 Posts
Yes.
Crate training not only keeps your pup safe from the irresistable temptations found when he's left to his own, and offers a good opportunity for your pup to have somewhere to relax, that's "his" own den.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I crate train all of my dogs. It is an additional tool in my training box. In the event my dogs should ever HAVE to be crated, they are quiet and comfortable in the crate.

Keeping your dog(s) crated is your personal choice. Training your dog(s) to crate is an important part of training.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Crating it the best! Keeps them safe and happy. And it's something you can use in hotels/motels/family reunions/ to keep them a PART of your life because you can take them anywhere and know they will be fine.

Additionally, awful as it is if we have to leave our dogs at the vets.... if they are used to being crated at least they will feel calm and content to be in the vet kennel space rather than ADDING to the freak out and stress of a sick dog who is not used to the security of a crate.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Fiona is 10 months and was crate trained. Her sister visited in December and literally destroyed the crate. So she has not had one for months. She seems happy without it, and has not gotten into things she should not {knock on wood}.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Lisl is my first GSD that I've crate trained. I am divorced and live alone so it has become absolutely neccesary to crate her while at work.

I come home to an excited puppy happy to see me, a clean home, and no poop to pick up.

I hope to one day trust Lisl in the house by herself for up to 10 hours, but that time is not now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I too dont know how people have puppies and dont crate their dogs. My first dog was a Shep/Chow mix I got when he was six months old. He was never crated, but he never damaged anything. Max is my first puppy I got at eight weeks old, if I didn't have a crate, I wouldn't have a house! Max even now at 16 weeks if my back is turned will "try" to eat whatever in sight! Thank God for the crate!!! Last week I was like let me see how much I can trust him without keeping my eyes on him. In five minutes while I was outside he chewed on the wood infront of my front door.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Lisl has been in her crate for 11 hours twice when I had to work extra unexpectedly and couldn't get home to let her out. She was fine, but boy did she have to pee.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My puppy is 9 weeks, and I have a smaller mix breed senior dog (13 years). Half my older dog's life was uncrated, and then he developed a problem with 'marking' things when we were gone so I started crating him. He seems to love it, it's his own space. He goes there if things around the house get too loud for him, and now if the puppy gets to be too much.

As far as the pup goes, the crate is one of the first items we bought. I have heard horror stories about uncrated juvenile pups, and so I knew from the get-go that our pup would be crate trained. She goes in it at night (we keep it beside the bed) and she whines when she needs to go out. During the day if I have to leave her at home, I use a baby gate to put her in the kitchen (linoleum floor). Once she is big enough to jump the gate I will move the crate out of the bedroom. For a couple of days I had it right across the room from my senior dog's crate, and that did seem to help her at night to not be so lonely, but I couldn't hear her well enough when she whined so that's why I brought her to the bedroom (that, and I couldn't bear to be apart from her, lol).

Anyway, sorry for rambling, but I hope that helps. Your other dogs will probably greatly appreciate it if you crate train the pup.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My 10 week old pup stays in the crate for about four hours at a time during the night. My wife has to get up after four hours anyway, so she takes her outside. We're working on potty training her.

When you get a crate, don't get a plastic type. Get a wire type that has a movable divider. I made the mistake of getting plastic type that she has now outgrown, so it's upon craigslist and I just had to spend $100 on a wire type with a divider. Hopefully I won't have to buy another one for a little while. :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Personally I am 100% pro-crate! I started with an exercise pen when I got my pup at 9 weeks, with bed, chew toys and water at one end, and puppy pads at the other. I don't have to use the puppy pads anymore, but I never have to worry about how she's trying to keep busy/destroy my house when I'm at work! We never have that issue of coming home to some kind of disaster - she can't get into any trouble. She's also completely happy in there - even when I'm home and the gate's open, she naps and chews on bully sticks in her pen, and never balks about going in when I leave.

She has a regular crate for night too, which means I get a much better night's sleep not worrying about her chewing up anything other than a bully stick. She even squeezes into her puppy crate when I'm not getting to bed soon enough for her. Don't get me wrong though, she pitched a whiny fit in all three of these confinements for about 10 minutes the first few days I tried them out, but ignore that, it simply doesn't last!

She's my only dog, so I don't know about having other dogs free around your crated pup, but my brother has a boxer that he leaves out when they are away from the house, and they crate his wife's min-pins, and they all seem to accept that without any issues.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone. So many good reasons to crate. I bought Dex the wire crate as suggested. Didnt realize how big the 48" crate is.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Dexter is the first dog I did not crate, and I would not crate again unless absolutely necessary. Training him has been a breeze, and it took me much longer to potty train my crated dogs. He's non-destructive around the house and behaves like an adult dog. I tethered him to me for the first few days, when I couldn't watch him, instead of crating, and it has made all the difference.

I used to be a big believer in crating, but I'm not anymore, as you can tell.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
think about it. what trouble can your pup or your other dogs get
into if they're crated?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Dex in his crate, after crying his eyes out at the top of his lungs for 30 mins. :(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts