German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Sounds to me like you have allowed your boy to overstimulate when meeting new people and get rewarded. I am not surprised, as he has gotten older and matured that he is now looking at things a bit different.

I would take a break from SAR, find a good general trainer and have him assessed and see if you can teach him some self control before meeting people. He should not be off leash. At all.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. That was kind of my thought, guess I just needed to hear it from someone else. I did say it to myself today... somehow, I am not surprised. The few weeks ago incident with that woman startled me and made me realize I may have unintentionally aided in his greeting habits. I had already been in contact with a very excellent trainer about other small things, guess I should call her and see if we can finally meet to discuss the bigger one and have a private session.

·
Super Moderator
3,100 Posts
Sounds to me like you have allowed your boy to overstimulate when meeting new people and get rewarded. I am not surprised, as he has gotten older and matured that he is now looking at things a bit different.

I would take a break from SAR, find a good general trainer and have him assessed and see if you can teach him some self control before meeting people. He should not be off leash. At all.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I opted to not go to SAR training until we meet the trainer and all that. Would you guys have any ideas what I should work with Titan on at my house instead of SAR training? Thought we would still stick with the schedule and do some training during those same hours just at home.

I figure I could do some OB.. just basic stuff to start, then add in some others. I have been doing nose work this week. Probably end up adding some of that in. Hiding things in the yard for him to find.. thinking to of mental and physical exercise.. any ideas that you'd suggest?

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
No advice, just sending lots of encouragement and good thoughts!

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dog's nose is the main tool in SAR handler's job. You should read everything you can about this amazing natural apparatus Titan has, and you, the human, don't have that sensative. It is important to see with your own eyes how it works, the dynamics of the process of the search could be observed with simple exercises: SCENT GAMES - Educating Your Dog's Nose | Suzanne Clothier
Thank you. As we are in SAR training, almost certifying.. I have played these games a number of times. I have planned on adding them to the regimine already..

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I really don't have anything else to add. I will say that training lapses have never really seemed to hurt any of my dogs and they return to SAR training with gusto.

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is true.. I figured that one out with my deployment, almost 9 months without training and he went back at it with no problem at all!! So impressed by him.. I'm jsut tryign to keep him in the routine.. something to tire him out. He knows Saturdays are HIS days so I know he will be excited to do something.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have no SAR experience ..but I wanted to give you some encouragement and wish you luck.

Also , have you read the book " What The Dog Knows" ? It is an excellent informative read..it is about a GSD named Solo ( he was a singleton which can be problematic ) and his journey on becoming a cadaver dog. It has some real interesting history in it about scent work . Very good read in any event.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I thought it was a good read. More relevant for an HRD handler but some of the early parts are good......We actually have a thread on the book in the SAR section.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I think you will find some good general information (very personal story which touches me because I know quite a few of the people in her book (and she even gives a credit to the president of our search team), but I would use neither this nor the cadaver dog handbook as a guideline to how to train cadaver.

I think David was going to read the book as well. There are other training methods that really help build independent searching and use the hunt drive more effectively which are not covered in the book, JMO.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/search-rescue/349066-new-book-what-dog-knows.html

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I would love to see a book with a compendium of training methods....The old bucket method, the salt shaker method (looks like Carmen's reference), scented throws, The method used by Loganhaus which seems a very early variation on the bucket method but I think they get them free-searching young, Randy Hare (I would like to take that class but $$$$$), even what Andrew Ramsey is teaching in nosework about which I would like to learn more.

I think the fundamental difference with a search/cadaver dog is ensuring independent hunting and being comfortable ranging out from the handler.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
yes to Randy Hare !!!

bringing - rethinking pop early socialization - into this discussion .

SAR seems to be synonymous with a dog who "likes" people. This is not necessary . The dog does have to be very self assured and confident , of environments and the full spectrum of human behaviour , comfortable with the high end of emotions even. You never know who you need to find , the state they will be in, their psychological or emotional state.
The dog has to have a determined strong hunt search drive .

often people going into SAR , picking their own dog , will choose a super friendly dog . This is where it gets into knowing "dogs". There is a difference between a dog who is socially bold and a dog who is hyper friendly with an undercurrent of anxiety . A dog should be as close as possible to the defined breed characteristics , so the comments for a GSD would not be as relevant to another breed , GR as example.

A SAR dog does not need to be crazy about people, only crazy about "finding" . No more than a narcotic dog needs to partake of the drugs , or a cadaver dog love to chew a bone . The core behaviour , engine, is the same .

So if your dog does have this high hunt drive , I would re-program the dog to find its center of balance , to learn how to calm .

some good rehabilitation going on here Official Behavior Adjustment Training (BAT) site: humane help for aggression, frustration, and fear in dogs, horses, and other animals.

this may help in reading the dog How to Be More Fun, Less Annoying, and Avoid Dog Bites | Ahimsa Dog Blog

1 - 20 of 33 Posts