German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 4 different routes when I take the dog for a walk.... I can't use any of them anymore because there are too many reactive loose dogs... I finally found a more of a decent route with only two lose dogs... One of them is 140 pound GSD mix and some other medium sized herding dog. Last couple of times when they were out in their front yard they were with their owner and they were just looking at us trying to get close but not too much, the owner called them over and they listened. Yesterday I am walking the dog and out of nowhere they run out barking at us... They were about 2 steps away from us until the owner ran and grabbed them... I am scared to go on a walk I have nowhere to walk the dog other than to drive to a park... My dog doesn't react until the dogs are very close. It was a scary experience for me when u see 140 pound GSD running at you. The owner was very nice about it and apologetic... But I seriously no more options where to take my dog. I don't want us to get attacked and I don't want my dog to become fearful because of his stupid dogs.

I have nowhere to walk my dog now. I carry peppers ray and a knife on me but I hope I never get to use them. What should I do? The owner always has these dogs out :( and I have seen them being reactive to other dog walkers...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
334 Posts
I would call animal control and tell them you situation say you fear for children who walk thier dogs in the area who may not be able to defend themself

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
It would take alot for me to call Animal Control, clear abuse.

There was a small pom that use to leave it's yard to follow and bark at us on a road I enjoyed walking down because it was by the lake. I stopped going that way. I later found out the dog got hit by a car. Annoying as that dog was I felt bad to hear that...the owners were to blame.

While frustrating and scary if it were me in this situation I would not call. That's just me.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
This maybe a stretch... perhaps take a walk by yourself alone without your dog so there's not a confrontation between the dogs and talk to the owner about your concerns. I have to believe there are some people out there that would understand and make a better attempt to keep their dogs contained.

I'm very lucky we live in area with a ton of places to peacefully walk my dog. It stinks when these encounters happen the one place you can walk.

I have absolutely no idea what animal control would do? Maybe someone on the board works for them or has an idea that will comment.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah you are right maybe I should try to work it out with the owner and if he doesn't put them on leashes I will have to choice but to report him I don't want to ruin my dog because of him...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I do understand esp. the part about your dog becoming reactive.

My advice my not be the best about not calling AC?:shrug: I can only comment on what I would do.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you call animal control, they'll go out and most likely talk to the owner/possibly fine the owner. I worked at a shelter that also did animal control/cruelty cases and its a huge issue if these dogs are running up to people. I think its better to call now and get it taken care of instead of waiting until the dogs bite someone or attack another dog. In that case, the guy's dogs would probably be put down. There shouldn't be so many dogs running loose. One of them could easily bite or kill a child.

Most county shelters always have an animal control officer on staff, so if you are near one then you can go in and talk about possible options before you give them the location of the dogs.

·
Registered
717 Posts
If a loose dog comes after us while I'm walking my dogs, how it acts determines whether or not I call. If it just barks/challenges, and then backs down, we're fine. If it acts like it's going to eat us, then I call. I've called on several dogs over the last few years, and at least one dog has gone bye-bye. I carry pepper spray, and I will use it.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
I wonder what happens if the dogs stay on their property though. So if they charge you but don't get into the sidewalk and stay on the owner's land. Not sure if AC could do anything about that. Plus...if there are that many loose dogs all over the place, they'd have to figure out who they belong to and contact all those people.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I would advise you to go talk with the owner first. People have a blind spot when it comes to their dogs- maybe the guy knows his dogs would never do anything more than bark, or maybe he just doesn't understand that it is bothering you. Since he was apologetic, I'm guessing he isn't a jerk and he'd be willing to keep them in at times you normally walk or control his dogs better.

If you go talk to him, tell him you like shepherds, too and so on... you could meet a nieghbor and take care of the problem.

If his dogs are rushing other dogs, mention this to the nieghbor and say you're concerned someone could call AC.

Personally, I would also only call AC if there was something really serious going on... short of that, I try to talk to the people involved without bringing in the AC. It can lead to a whole spate of bad feelings as well. Better to make a friend out of your neighbor than an enemy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Depending on where you live there could be a leash law or not. If not, there is not much you can do. Animal Control does not always have to respond, however if a dog is dangerous or will attack anyone without reason, then Animal Control can look into that. I would first speak with the dogs owners, and tell them your concerns. Animal owner's who care about their dogs, will be understanding. If that does not work, speak with Animal Control and find out if there are any leash laws in the area.

·
Registered
31,887 Posts
Call your village administrator's office. Explain that you have tried to walk your dog on A street, B street, C street and D street, and you have encountered loose aggressive dogs on each of these streets, and it is simply unacceptable.

No, you aren't going to call animal control, you want for them to post it in the newspaper that people will get ticketed for loose dogs. You're paying for a police department, they can just get out there and talk to the yayhoos who are letting their dog run loose and act aggressive to other people's dogs.

Tell them that if you have vet bills or other injuries you're not only going to go after the dog owners, they probably don't have any money anyway. You are going to go after the village for not enforcing the leash law.

Ask them what it will take to get a concealed carry permit so you can shoot the dogs. If you have to walk around with a loaded gun to protect your dog, you will, but it's a darn shame.

I am not suggesting you do all of those things, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

·
Registered
31,887 Posts
Yeah, it's best to know the law in your location before you call anyone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts