German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this posted on another dog forum...

Hopefully this can help illustrate to some people why they shouldn't (Or should!) breed their dog.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Love it and I agree...sticky! :)

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Eh. Truth is if you are asking that question the answer is no.

When you are ready to bred, are knowledgeable enough on the breed and have breed worthy dogs then you will know.
Yeah, but the average person coming on here asking when to breed their cute puppy doesn't know that.

A chart like this can be pretty helpful to someone just looking to breed their cute puppy once old enough to give to all of their friends and family.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, but the average person coming on here asking when to breed their cute puppy doesn't know that.

A chart like this can be pretty helpful to someone just looking to breed their cute puppy once old enough to give to all of their friends and family.
Exactly! I worry that some people come on here wanting to know if they should breed their cute puppy without paperwork, or knowing both parents, etc. etc. and then when they get bombarded with comments upon comments about everything, sometimes that can come off snarky, they sign off, never look back, and BOOM another litter of pups that do nothing to promote the GSD breed while there are plenty of other cute puppies in shelters and rescue networks without homes.

I saw this and thought it might be a little less aggressive way to get those points across.

·
Registered
31,874 Posts
I went around the circle to the section where it says are you emotionally prepared to take all the crap that could go wrong with a whelping.

I thought I was.

I do not know anyone who can guarantee what type of basketcase they will be during the horrible stuff.

I just watched a c-section. You cannot KNOW what that will be like, unless you have been there and done that, and even then, when it is your dog strapped to the table being sliced open....

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
That is an awesome flowchart. It'll help the people who think their dog should be bred! Hope you don't mind me posting this on another forum I frequent. :)

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Wow....love the flowchart....that should be posted in vet offices....I know what to expect for a c-section.....just dont know how I would handle it with my own dog(emotionally I mean).

·
Registered
604 Posts
I went around the circle to the section where it says are you emotionally prepared to take all the crap that could go wrong with a whelping.

I thought I was.

I do not know anyone who can guarantee what type of basketcase they will be during the horrible stuff.

I just watched a c-section. You cannot KNOW what that will be like, unless you have been there and done that, and even then, when it is your dog strapped to the table being sliced open....
Or how about this: Your bitch is in labor for 9 hours and has had 6 pups (one pup every 1.5 hours +/- 10 minutes). You go in the house to use the bathroom. Pup #7 is born, mom's tired, she goes for the umbilical cord, misses, and bites off the back legs of a perfectly healthy puppy. And your freaked-out wife finds it.

I'm certain that Breeding Dogs For Dummies didn't mention anything like that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got all the way around to the hips part. He isn't quite old enough for his hips yet. Thats a really good flow chart though!!
I guess not to many breeders actually "care" about hips. I have a five generation pedigree provided by AKC for my GSD and of the 62 GSD's that have been bred on that pedigree only ONE (yes ONE) has OFA certification.

·
Registered
27,228 Posts
I guess not to many breeders actually "care" about hips. I have a five generation pedigree provided by AKC for my GSD and of the 62 GSD's that have been bred on that pedigree only ONE (yes ONE) has OFA certification.
Do they have A stamp? OFA is the US's database.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Check the a-stamp database. A lot of imported dogs are AKC registered and/or have DNA on file. AKC requires that studs have DNA on file if they produce a certain number of litters. My dog's pedigree has zero OFAs but they are all a-stamped in Germany.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I think generally speaking, if you have to ask yourself if it's a good idea to breed your dog, it's probably not a good idea. ;)

PS. LOVE the flow chart!!!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I think generally speaking, if you have to ask yourself if it's a good idea to breed your dog, it's probably not a good idea. ;)
I do not see any logic in this statement. It's always a good idea to question breeding. You think 'reputable breeders' (whatever that means) don't ask themselves if it's a good idea to breed that dog that they kept from the previous litter, what combination would be the best, etc etc?

I do not like the flowchart because it's very patronizing, and some statements are questionable. If I were those 'some people' I would be pushed to breed my dog just in spite.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts