German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is our beautiful girl Rylee. We just got her last Friday but I have a few concerns... she is 13 weeks old and only weighs 11.8 lbs, she was the runt. I know that she is very underweight for her age but she appears to be very healthy. The breeder had her checked by a vet but I have not taken her myself yet, I’m curious to see what the dr. will say. Also her nose is like a pink brownish color, instead of black. I don’t know if this is normal or not but I’m starting to worry. I need opinions on whether or not you guys think she’s fine or something is wrong. I will be taking her to the vet in a few weeks, will keep y’all updated.

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Is there a particular reason you are waiting a few more weeks to bring your puppy to the vet? Waiting until 16 weeks? Are there any other areas of concern health wise, so we have more info? When I first got my puppy I called our local vet that is also a 24 hour emergency vet when I had concerns and they were very helpful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes I was waiting until 16 weeks, no other areas of concern. She is very playful and energetic and seems to be healthy. One ear is not standing straight up though but I think it will be ok in time

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Whenever I get a new dog or puppy, I bring him/her in to my vet within 72 hours. Otherwise there will be no way of knowing (or proving) that the dog came home to me sick or if it was something that was caught or caused by me. One time I got a puppy that came home with horrible diarrhea. I took him to the vet and the vet said it was just the stress of a new home that was causing the diarrhea and wouldn't do a fecal test. By the time I found a new vet that would take the fecal sample, the 72 hours had passed, and the pup had giardia, which he clearly came home with. The breeder refused to compensate me for the treatment, which got really expensive because nothing was working, because it had been over 72 hours. She did tell me that if he was sick with anything that a vet diagnosed within 72 hours she would pay for treatment, so in theory she would have paid if the first vet had done their job. Live and learn.

I would not wait to take this puppy to the vet.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Whenever I get a new dog or puppy, I bring him/her in to my vet within 72 hours. Otherwise there will be no way of knowing (or proving) that the dog came home to me sick or if it was something that was caught or caused by me. One time I got a puppy that came home with horrible diarrhea. I took him to the vet and the vet said it was just the stress of a new home that was causing the diarrhea and wouldn't do a fecal test. By the time I found a new vet that would take the fecal sample, the 72 hours had passed, and the pup had giardia, which he clearly came home with. The breeder refused to compensate me for the treatment, which got really expensive because nothing was working, because it had been over 72 hours. She did tell me that if he was sick with anything that a vet diagnosed within 72 hours she would pay for treatment, so in theory she would have paid if the first vet had done their job. Live and learn.

I would not wait to take this puppy to the vet.
Pup goes to the vet within the 72 hr window problem is identified and the cause miss diagnosed. Still dealing with the very same problem outside the 72 hrs and suddenly it's no longer covered? Sad really.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Pup goes to the vet within the 72 hr window problem is identified and the cause miss diagnosed. Still dealing with the very same problem outside the 72 hrs and suddenly it's no longer covered? Sad really.
Yes, the breeder really wasn't a great one. I imagine she would have done anything to get out of paying, even if it was diagnosed within the 72 hour period.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts