German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

Registered
Thanks for being so understanding peachy. Kind of sucks that it feels like a lot of comments think I should just prepare to have her put down, even after I say she has good life quality馃槳. I regret not doing more sooner now, but since she's still a baby I think intervention would help if there's anything that can be fixed. If not, it wouldn't be the first time I had a dog with issues so I'd just rather give her a good life, even if it becomes limited.
No problem, although I think they're just trying to help, they've seen a lot of situations similar to these, and it is something you should prepare for because you never know what complications can arise, but that being said I wouldn't count her out personally, I can understand why it would put anyone on the defense when it came to all these replies, but they're all very good suggestions and info! It's just what's in the best interest of the pup and trying to give her the best quality life possible! Just get her to a vet asap and take it one step at a time from there, and try to consider if you can handle this in the long term, if you handle it financially, etc.

Registered
If you're not willing to actually get her problem taken care of, maybe she would have ended up in better hands with someone else.

Everyone here are experienced german shepherd owners and are giving up their time to help you, help your dog, but it seems as though you are quite ungrateful for that. If you leave the issue there's no doubt in my mind it's gonna be much worse as she grows.

You took the pup, her health is your responsibility. Goodluck with your little girl!

Registered
This person seems willing to do what she can to help this pup. And she excepts the puppy as it is and wants to give it the best life possible. That is much more than most others would be willing to do.

I hope the pup is not in pain and can live a good life.

Registered
This is my first time posting on here, and my first time owning a GSD puppy. She just turned 4 months old, and is apparently mixed with poodle? I don't see it though, she looks very GSD to me.. must be a small percentage of poodle. Anyways, I have some concerns about how she walks. I will attach a video (not the best vid of her walking but I of course couldn't get her to do much when I wanted her to lol) she kind of crosses her back legs sometimes and her lower end is usually lower to the ground, and she sort of bounces her back end when walking. and when she runs, it's ALWAYS bunny hopping, she's never went into a normal run. She doesn't seem to have issues walking as in she doesn't seem like it bugs her and she isn't in pain, but her posture has always been so odd to me on top of not running normally. When I first got her when she was 9 weeks old, she actually walked WAY worse, so she has progressed a lot therefore I just have been trying to write it off as a weird puppy stage, but I don't know, I did what I shouldn't do and I started reading online and put together that she may have hip dysplasia? Which I didn't know a dog could literally be born with that, since she's walked weird/ had weird posture since even before we got her. I guess I just want other people's opinions. Is this just a weird puppy thing I'm not used to being inexperienced with GSD or should I be worried?

Video:
Hi Taylor, ya so totally agree with Tim. I wd hv ortho check her out. She is deff not just puppy stuff. Something is clearly wrong. I wd move on it asap too. Hopefully it can be corrected and whoever you got her from should kick in. Hope all works out for the pup!

Registered
I had a mixed breed smaller dog that walked strangely like this for a while and then suddenly could barely walk. We rushed him to UC Davis and by the time we arrived he was completely paralyzed. They did surgery - apparently there was some disc issues in his neck causing pressure on his spinal cord. After surgery, he had feeling again and was walking normal after a couple of weeks. I would definitely have a vet do some tests.

Registered
Misha Marie
My GSD started running as "bunny hopping" when her hip dysplasia got bad at about 4 yo. There was no indication she was in pain, but the vet was shocked to know she wasn't on pain meds.....and when she went on pain meds I could tell the difference. While still a puppy, if not hip dysplasia, whatever it is may be corrected while her body is still pliable. X-rays will be a must so it can be determined if dysplasia or a birth defect or possibly a disease. How happy this pup will be if she's able to be at her full potential, run and jump to catch the frisbee or the rope ball and run with her buddies. Fixing while a pup may give her a quality of life as an adult. I wish you the best......but again, the bunny hopping is the one of the first indications of hip dysplasia.....it's not a normal gait for puppy or dogs of any age. Please keep us posted if you would, we all learn so much from a group like this :)

Registered
When I got her in September, the lady I got her from said that the vet said she would "grow out of it" and I took her word for it so I haven't taken her to a vet yet to get any exams, only for shots because I wasn't sure if it was really an issue or not. seemingly she has been growing out of it since I got her... I honestly feel like the woman I got her from kept her in a small kennel all the time or something, because she could barely stand up the first few days I had her, but after only a week of taking her outside she started improving. after two months of walking her the current improvements have been night and day but I guess what started concerning me was bunny hopping instead of actually running 馃槙
Please go and get x-rays at a qualified vet's office, right away! She could have had broken legs or hips and as she's growing the bones are healing wrong...or it could be neurological...or any number things. It is not normal and, please, please go to a qualified vet's office, right away!

Registered
This is my first time posting on here, and my first time owning a GSD puppy. She just turned 4 months old, and is apparently mixed with poodle? I don't see it though, she looks very GSD to me.. must be a small percentage of poodle. Anyways, I have some concerns about how she walks. I will attach a video (not the best vid of her walking but I of course couldn't get her to do much when I wanted her to lol) she kind of crosses her back legs sometimes and her lower end is usually lower to the ground, and she sort of bounces her back end when walking. and when she runs, it's ALWAYS bunny hopping, she's never went into a normal run. She doesn't seem to have issues walking as in she doesn't seem like it bugs her and she isn't in pain, but her posture has always been so odd to me on top of not running normally. When I first got her when she was 9 weeks old, she actually walked WAY worse, so she has progressed a lot therefore I just have been trying to write it off as a weird puppy stage, but I don't know, I did what I shouldn't do and I started reading online and put together that she may have hip dysplasia? Which I didn't know a dog could literally be born with that, since she's walked weird/ had weird posture since even before we got her. I guess I just want other people's opinions. Is this just a weird puppy thing I'm not used to being inexperienced with GSD or should I be worried?

Video:
I am horrified by what I am seeing and I'm sorry to tell you that you have been scammed by a backyard, unethical, inhumane breeder. Please please please people do your research on breeders before purchasing from someone. Always request to see papers on Orthopedics from both The Sire and Dam. I fear this puppy will never be normal and will have lifelong Orthopedic issues that will cost you an arm and a leg. Even worse, she may have to be put down because the unnecessary pain that she might have. No, a German Shepherd not even a poodle is supposed to look like that hey this is horrific. That creature that sold it a dog should be reported if they haven't disappeared already

Registered
See my previous reply! No exams yet, I feel like we've been improving it, I've had my concerns though all along. She could hardly stand when we got her, I know now that the previous owner possibly lied about the vet giving a thumbs up on the situation as well as probably contributed to the issue. I noticed as soon as I got her something wasn't quite right but I wouldn't have felt any better if I left her in that situation and didn't take her home with me馃槳.
I understand that's how these unethical breeders get you. You feel so sorry for the animal that you choose to purchase them. Please report that breeder. They are probably keeping the animals confined so unnaturally that their growth plates are not developing properly. This is NOT normal at all and it pains me to even watch the video. Please get that dog help immediately and report that gosh dang breeder because they will do it to other dogs too!!! You buying that one puppy is not going to stop the cycle of abuse. Seriously.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.