German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it seems in my eyes that I will have a small male gsd, which is fine with me... we love him! Hes 5 months and 22 days old right now and weights only 44.6lbs! We are feeding him Fromm puppy 1.5 cups three times a day. When it comes to feeding time he eats like he hasn't eaten in 3 weeks. Hes very lean... we walk him 2-3 times a day and exercise him 3 days a week using the Chuckit. Should we be feeding him even more you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
If it were my puppy, I would up the food. Puppies need nutrients to grow properly.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Not imo. He looks great. Better for the skeleton and connective tissues to be lean than heavier. He'll fill out and it's best for him if that doesn't happen until he's 2. Hungry pups are easier to train too.
Careful with the chuck it. Hard on their front legs (at least mine) depending on how hard your pup gets after it. Tug is much better for their bodies.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not imo. He looks great. Better for the skeleton and connective tissues to be lean than heavier. He'll fill out and it's best for him if that doesn't happen until he's 2. Hungry pups are easier to train too.
Careful with the chuck it. Hard on their front legs (at least mine) depending on how hard your pup gets after it. Tug is much better for their bodies.
Thanks, hes been an amazing pup so far. SO smart. But, he really does get after the ball with the chuckit... maybe I should tone it down a little? We also have wood floors in our entire house and he plays with the ball or any toy by running and stomping throughout the house, this bad?? Kinda hard to keep him from playing... I can play tug for that long with him.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Thanks, hes been an amazing pup so far. SO smart. But, he really does get after the ball with the chuckit... maybe I should tone it down a little? We also have wood floors in our entire house and he plays with the ball or any toy by running and stomping throughout the house, this bad?? Kinda hard to keep him from playing... I can play tug for that long with him.
His body condition looks perfect to me. Wood floors are softer than concrete. He's a pup; he's going to run and stomp. Softer surfaces are easier on joints and connective tissues. I mentioned chuck it because my pup gets after it so hard she comes up lame in her front legs sometimes on grass. It goes away after a walk and a little rest. X-rays show normal elbows and shoulders. Maybe pano, I don't know. I just know coming to a crashing halt from a full run getting that moving ball is hard on her front legs. Now, fetch the stick in the water has been great! Can't get hurt swimming. Tug is great for her but harder on me. I suck it up. I wish she would just run laps at the track :grin2: Playmates of similar age, weight, strength, temperament are ideal but hard to find.
He's less likely to have orthopedic problems if you keep him lean. If his ribs are very visible when he's rested, he may need some more calories.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts