German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 13 month old female GSD is not a big eater. I have swapped her food several times to try to find the best for her including RAW, Orijen, Acana, and currently Totw. I offer her 1.5 cups twice daily. She eates maybe two cups most days. She is on the thin side and only is 55 lbs. Her ribs are easily felt and her spine and hip bones can be felt as well. I dont think she is terribly thin and I want to keep her lean but she is border line for sure. I think she would look great at 60-65 lbs. I have been trying the tough love and putting her food down for 15 min then taking it up. Sometimes she gobbles it up and other times she hardly eats. When she does finish her meal I praise her and give her an extra like treats or an egg or some pumpkin. How many cups should she be eating, and should I try adding something to her kibble? I don't want to add canned forever just because if she would ever start eating well I would like to supplement with fresh meat. Thanks for your thoughts and let me know what you think!!!

·
Registered
682 Posts
I'm sure a pro will help more than me but I have a female that is not a big eater either, I tried the 15 min thing and it didn't work, I put canned on top and mixed in, I tried mixing with raw and everything else and now I just keep the food out and free feed. She has been to the vet I don't knoe how many times because I thought she was too thin, I took her to the breeder and I had him look at her and he as well said she was healthy, I had blood work done twice and she is healthy lol anyway, I have stopped worrying about it....she eats but eats like a bird, I guess it is what it is? As long as the dog is healthy I guess?

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
You girl doesn't sound especially small- our last females gsd weighed about 60-62. I've never had a gsd that was a big eater but they're all healthy, lean and in great shape. I figure they know how much they need.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
You girl doesn't sound especially small- our last females gsd weighed about 60-62.
You can't go by weight in numbers to compare dogs, you have to go by what the OP said regarding all the ribs, spine, and hip bones being felt. Out of our three GSD's, all are kept lean and fit. One is 55 lbs (F), one is 72 lbs (F), and one is 95 lbs (male). All the same breed, very different weights and sizes. So many dogs are bred out of standard these days that's it's not reliable to say what a normal weight is.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
All of mine are picky eaters, I think it's fairly common for the breed. I mix BG can with their food and rotate flavors. They still skip meals pretty often but I know they won't starve themselves so I don't worry.

·
5,627 Posts
How many cups should she be eating, and should I try adding something to her kibble? I don't want to add canned forever just because if she would ever start eating well I would like to supplement with fresh meat. Thanks for your thoughts and let me know what you think!!!
That's a whole lot of switching it up for such a young dog. I assume you are doing it gradually so you don't upset her stomach?

I would stop with the extra treats after meal time. How many cups is appropriate really depends on the individual dog, so many things affect it like genetics, activity level and the food being fed so no one here can really answer that for you.

My 3 year old female gets 2c a day of TOTW Pacific Stream. She's about 78lbs, 27" tall and lean. She isn't incredibly active but gets 1-2 walks a day plus play time with me and the foster dog.

Why not start supplementing with fresh meat now? If you mix it in with her food, it might entice her and will definitely give her the extra calories she needs if you think she is underweight. That's what I am doing to get weight on my foster who is about 20lbs underweight.

As an occasional snack you can also give her satin balls (you can google for a recipe) which are high in calories.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
You girl doesn't sound especially small- our last females gsd weighed about 60-62. I've never had a gsd that was a big eater but they're all healthy, lean and in great shape. I figure they know how much they need.
Same here. She eats all that she wants and keeps her girlish figure at 25.5" and 66 pounds. Her energy and athleticism are excellent.

One thing that helps her eat more is adding cottage cheese or small amount of garlic powder or sprinkle on some romano cheese.
Dogs like variety.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
When we're at home Minnie eats just fine but when we travel she is too busy checking everything out that she barely eats at all. So I've learned to travel with a jar of parmesan cheese and sprinkle some on. She always eats it then! I'd try it with your girl and see if it helps.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I have passed this on before and all I can say is it worked asap for my girl so here it is.
I just added a little water to her food and she eats her bowl clean twice a day every day ever since. I figure it's worth a try but I never met a dog who wouldn't eat can dog food.=)

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I have passed this on before and all I can say is it worked asap for my girl so here it is.
I just added a little water to her food and she eats her bowl clean twice a day every day ever since. I figure it's worth a try but I never met a dog who wouldn't eat can dog food.=)
I would try this, and if that doesn't work, try adding some water and heating it up. The smell will be more enticing if it's warm and she might want to eat more of it. (I wouldn't put it in the microwave though). You could just put warm water in it. Maybe even warmed up canned food as a topper.

Good luck! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts