German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a reservation for a pup right now, but the sire's test results kind of bothers me, Should I be concerned about the elbows saying only 'fair' or is it not a big issue.

The sire's results
Hip x rays - fair
elbows - normal

Now for the dame
Hip x rays - good
elbows - normal

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Please don't start multiple threads to ask the exact same question. It is in the middle of the night for a lot of the board. Give people a chance to wake up!

Fair hips are still passing, but if it makes you uncomfortable, talk to the breeder about why she used him. What about his line? How are the hips of his grandparents and great grandparents?

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Fair is still a pass - and should not cause any dog problems. Often times, even dogs with mild or moderate HD live long, active, symptom-free lives, with proper exercise management and supplements. I know of a couple of mild/moderate GSDs that are just doing great in agility!

As to whether a sire with Fair hips is a concern, that would depend on the history of hip production of the sire, and the hip status/ratings of the dog's background and relatives.

If, for example, the lines from which the male comes has a steady and reliable history of producing good hips, (which include fair), then I would not be concerned. The best answer is to ask the breeder how she feels about the males hip production, and why she feel that this dog is a good match for the female, hip-wise.

You can go to the OFA website Orthopedic Foundation for Animals and search for relatives of the sire, and get a better idea of the hip history from his lines.

My dog's sire was rated fair, and Gryffon OFA'd "Good". Gryffon's full brother from the same litter, Gideon (Karlo), OFA'd "Fair", but according to the many experienced hip X-ray readers on the forum, there really isn't much difference between Gryff's and Karlo's hip x-rays that they could see. There is a certain amount of subjectivity in reading and rating hip X-rays, the same x-rays read by different people can be interpreted differently.

Here is a thread with Gryff's hip x-rays, with Karlo's x-rays posted for comparison http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/show-those-hips/192460-gryffon-some-general-hip-info.html

So no, "fair" in and on its own would not cause me concern. But that would all depend on the the hip history of the dog's pedigree, and the hip history of the dam, as the dam may come from a background of poor hips, and she just lucked out herself with a rating of "good. THAT would cause me more concern than a solid and reliable history of Fair hips, for example.

Again, your best bet is to talk to the breeder and get a feel for the decision making process that went into the breeding.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Fair hips don't bother me, I've gotten a couple of dogs out of "Fair" parents, and never had an issue.

I agree if it bothers you, either voice your concerns to the breeder or look elsewhere.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Please don't start multiple threads to ask the exact same question. It is in the middle of the night for a lot of the board. Give people a chance to wake up!

Fair hips are still passing, but if it makes you uncomfortable, talk to the breeder about why she used him. What about his line? How are the hips of his grandparents and great grandparents?
I made my account last night and didn't notice how many sub forums there were, I do apologize.
Thanks for the responses everyone, Makes me feel better about my decisions.

I will be talking to the breeder over the phone tonight to set everything in stone, so I'll be sure to ask her about the hip history of that specific sire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts