German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got my new buddy from a breeder that said that i could register my puppy ACA. I recently after researching this that its a byb thing. But they gave me a pedigree that was 5 generations long, and i got to poking around and found that all of his 5th 4th and some of the 3rd gen were registered with AKC I am not sure why they changed to ACA. Looking at the AKC website they now are doing pedigree research and there may be a way to do it. But does anyone know if it's worth the time to send in the information they wanted? I am mainly interested as some of the services AKC provides seems way better then ACA's. Any input would be helpful as im kinda torn if i should travel down this road.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Usually when people seek alternative registries such as ACA for their dogs, it’s because they did not have breeding rights but bred them anyway. You can get a PAL number through AKC that will still allow you to compete in AKC events, if that is what you are looking for here. Otherwise, I don’t know that I would bother. Just enjoy your pet.

·
Super Moderator
5,914 Posts
Yes, what GypsyGhost said. You can’t register your dog with AKC unless its parents are AKC registered. You can apply for a PAL number though (your dog has to be at least 6 months old and spayed or neutered), and will be able to participate in every AKC event except conformation.

·
Registered
721 Posts
At best, you might could get a Provisional Registration,which would allow you to do companion and performance events, like obedience, rally, scent work, and the like. It wouldn't allow you to show in conformation, or to register any pups he might sire.

If your dog is altered, then a Purebred Alternative Listing (PAL) is faster and cheaper, and lets you do everything a Provisional Registration would.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
Two reasons this may have happened:

1. The breeder bought one or more dogs on a limited registration, which is an agreement not to breed the dogs or try to register any offspring from the dog with the AKC. These are the breeding rights Gypsy Ghost was talking about. Breeders provide limited registration for a number of reasons: the dog has a conformation fault; the dog was closely line-bred and the breeder wants to prevent careless breeding for that reason; the breeder wants to prevent careless breeding in general; the breeder charges more for full-registration; other reasons.

2. The AKC suspended the breeding rights of the breeder for failing to follow AKC rules and regulations. This could be for a time period or permanent. This could be from falsely registering a litter, sportsmanship, failure to maintain dogs or conditions -- stuff like that. The breeder could have been suspended by the AKC and decided to continue to do whatever they were doing, but under a registry that is much easier to get around.

In either case, getting full-registration on the puppy should not be possible. It undermines the whole breed-registry-pure-bred idea.

Alter the dog and get a PAL. Then you can competed in everything but conformation. The dog should not be used for breeding.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
And sometimes people either forget to send in their AKC paper work and lose it...or they get an intact dog from someone who has not kept track of the papers, and decide to breed any way. Doesn't make your dog any less worthy. I have a Dutch that is out of a known pedigree, but from more KNVP lines that were not AKC eligible when imported. I was going to get her some sort of AKC papers to send in all her trick titles....until I priced it. On Social Security I decided the money has better places to go. She may be my first working dog without some sort of letters behind her name...except L.O.V.E.D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts